September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. dark days

Good riddance, Lynn. The house sweeping has begun. It's like having your termites pack up and leave before you have to call the exterminator.

September 16, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  2. Mike

WOW, That person voting for McCain. Oh my how can I sleep tonite?

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  3. disappointed in ND

Hillary would be very disappointed in her. I think this only begins to prove the "Elephant in the Closet" theory for Obama that was on CNN earlier today. It is sad to see that someone will put aside their beliefs to vote for because they don't trust them (Does the other side embody what you believe in?). At this point I don't see how you could trust John McCain either. Voting for McCain is not going to solve any of the issues that disgruntled voters are having personally with Obama.

I look forward to the upcoming debates because I think then the campaigns will get back to the issues and hopefully concerns of elitism and mistrust will be resolved. Regardless of who you vote for -you need to be ready to follow ALL of their policies for the next four years and possibly beyond with the upcoming change in the Supreme Court

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  4. Just amazed

Can Ms Rothschild or for that matter any of the former Clinton supporters who said that they want to vote for McCain tell me a single policy proposal that McCain has that will solve the problem that our country faces better than that of Obamas.

The United States as we know it is being threatened. Our way of life is based on Democracy and Capitalism and Free Market and these are based on trust and confidence. There is no single physical commodity on any shelf for sell in Wall Street except a bunch of papers that carry all the weight in the world because they are backed by Trust and Confidence.

This Trust is evaporating and this Confidence is fading and going with them will be social security, employment, strong government, strong military, choices and the American way of life. Any person who loves this country would be concerned about this issue when they vote on November unless you are Ms Rothschild who votes because she "don't like him"

Barack Obama does not have all the answers and he will not fix all the problem in four years, but at least he has put forward a well thought out alternative plan than what we have heard in the last eight years. If Ms Rothschild will discuss the superiority of McCains proposals over that of Obama that would have been worthy of a true American. But she is blinded by the fact that she "don't like him".

This election will not be decided by the likes of Ms Rothschild but by the millions of Americans who will look at the issues and look at the solutions proposed by each candidate and vote for the proposals that have the best chance of addressing Americans problems and not vote because "I don't like him".

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  5. Amy-TX

Here go the Democrats crying once again when one of their own dares to tell the truth about Obama. Get used to it Democrats you can't force Obama down everyone's throat and expect to get away with it. Finally the Clinton voters are seeing the light. I expect more to get off the Obama train very soon. That's what you get Democrats when you PUSH someone in a position that NOBODY wanted. I am loving this as a Republican, I'm just sitting back and watching all you democrats ruin your party and I'm loving it!!! I couldn't have asked for anything better this year...
    VOTE MCCAIN/PALIN!!!

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  6. Elephant Red

We can call it like it is. Obama is too "minority" for her tastes, and she can't trust 'em.

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  7. Disgusted in DC

I feel sorry for people like this-they claim to be a supporter of a party, but they really support the bull and greed this country was "founded on'". She's just old, rich, and a racist-a good ole republican. I really want to see how Hillary react to this!!

GO Barack

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  8. Fed up!

Justwait till Palin and McCan't lose the election & are finally shown to be the frauds they are! What will your "Anti Elitist" snobbery get you then? I hope Obama raises your taxes & puts you in the same position as Leiman Bros.

Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  9. KCBob

HAHA! A Rothschild calling someone an elitist! LOL

I dont blame her,though, she's going to be paying more under his administration.

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  10. JPM

can you say SHALLOW? I pick my candidates based on POLICY not personalities.

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  11. Peter

Good riddance - let's flush out the trash from the DNC once and for all. What will she do after McPalin loses the election? Let's hope she'll spend more time in London with Evelyn and stay out of the US.

September 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  12. Pat Dunedin Fl

Old Money goes with old white men. Just can,t understand
    why she would endorse McPalin. She would be considered
    white trash. Unmarried daughter pregnant, talks in tongues,
    is under investigation by her own state and had to attend
    5 to 6 schools to graduate. Maybe she lowered her bar!

September 16, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  13. Linda, Chandler AZ

She's married to an international banker, named SIR Rothschild...."splits her time between London and New York" ....and she thinks Barack Obama is an elitist??????? What a load of you-know-what.

September 16, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  14. Cathy in MD

Her dislike for Obama says a lot more about her than it does about Obama. And, I would wager a bet that she’s got enough enemies to fill a bank vault.

September 16, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  15. RJ

Come on over to the right side, Ms. Rothschild. They don't want you. You spoke your mind and now the Democrat/liberals went after you. They don't respect anyone who's views are not like their own. Typical. Jobama is elitist, pure and simple and most of the average voters in the US, especially those between the coasts really know this.

McCain-Palin 08 & 12

Palin-Huckabee 12 & 16

September 16, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  16. Dan, Maryland

Clearly this woman is not a democrat. If she were she would vote on the issues, and support the issues that Hillary ran on which is nearly identacle to Barack Obama's policies. This leaves just one reason she supported Hillary – she was a woman. I've heard far too many people say "I really liked Hillary, now that she's out I'm voting for McCain because I want to see a woman in the whitehouse before I die." Really? You'd rather see a woman to fulfil your own selfish goals instead of making our country better and not leading it further into debt and potentially into more wars? What could be more selfish than to compromise your views and principles based soley on sex. I would say that is reverse sexism. I'm losing the tremendous respect I had for the feminest movement when I hear things like this.

September 16, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  17. James

Good for you Lynn.

A former Democrat with some actual integrity. She does not put up with the Democrat's fear cards to keep woman in line, like Roe v. Wade (a decision that has not even been threatened to be overturned). She may vote for whom she wants, no reason to support someone you think is unqualified for President.

Hillary 2012

September 16, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  18. jdc

Interesting, Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a titled Lady and someone who was introduced to her second husband by Henry Kissinger at the Blinderberg conference, calling Barack Obama "elite"? That's kind of funny-this is the kind of stuff you just can't make up ;-)

September 16, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  19. Wayne

well la ti da...another phony ...Hillary Clinton is sure finding out about some of her "friends"

.....pathetic...

September 16, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  20. The Libs are going nuts!

Oh I love to read comments like these. You guys are in meltdown mode because your savior is losing support everywhere.

Perhaps Lynn doesn't want to be part of the Obama campaign when it hits the fan that he took the second most money from Fannie Mae.

September 16, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  21. Rick K

Did I just read that Lynn Forester de Rothschild thinks Obama is an elitist?

That's good stuff.

Let me translate that: "I can't control him with my money and friends – I think I've got a better chance to get what I want out of the repubs – the only law-breaking, power-abusing, subpoena-ignoring game left in town.

I'm sure she'll help him explain his empathy for those blue collar workers. Funny, funny stuff.

Please be nasty in your proclamation so about 500,000 of us regular folk can get ticked off enough to send Obama more money just to get rid of the influence of people like you.

September 16, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  22. Kaylie

A bllionaire dilletante...who's married to a guy named Evelyn...calls Barack Obama elitist? Where do I start??!!

September 16, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  23. Why Obama

I am also a democrat supporting McCain. Obama has done nothing to prove to me he can be president. McCain has worked with all sides and just makes more sence. I don't want a socialist america. We need to work for what we want. I know to many on well-– that don't need to be. I don't think more of that is going to help. Just my oppinion.

September 16, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  24. Americans Got Common Sense

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” Wow..then how is it hard for her to declare this in the public?? The heck? The woman voted for Hillary the person and not her policies. What a horrible reason to vote for 4 more years of American downfalls. It bothers me that people vote based on emotions. Stop thinking about yourself and think about our country as a whole. Republicans MESSED IT UP BIG TIME!!!!!! Ain't no way in H E double hockey sticks will I vote for MCSAME. Freakin' biter. Trying to run his campaign like Obama now. Dude please.

Obama/Biden '08 and '12 Period!!!!

September 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  25. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

This isn't a surprise. She also got mad that the Obama campaign didn't pay for her room at the convention and she and other big Clinton donors left in a huff before Obama's acceptance speech. It was just a matter of time. She obviously isn't an advocate for women or any of the issues Hillary was fighting for because she wouldn't be doing this if she was.

September 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |