September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. m c

We Independents know that McCain/Palin are the future winners. This whole financial "crisis" was caused by people buying houses they could not afford and run-away credit card debt. The American people will not be fooled into bailing out these losers AND expanding the government to boot!!! Many Hillary Independents are now ready to swing this election to McCain/Palin!!!

September 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  2. bk

I don't like him and I don't trust him either. When Obama goes to the Hollywood rich people, you know the $28,000 a plate dinner tonight. I guess you Obamabots didn't give him enough money. I wonder if he will tell them all about the bitter people clinging to their guns and Bibles he has met on the campaign trail, and laugh at all the little people.

September 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  3. nov surprise

welcome aboard ,there are huge numbers of clinton supporters still in tact.

September 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  4. Sydney Boy for Obama/Biden!

I'm so sick and tired of the whole 'elitist' tag placed upon the Democrats. Who else thinks an extraordinary person should handle an extraordinary job? I sure as heck think so.

These are extraordinary times and we need extraordinary people to curb them.

These jibes are foolish and the people who are spewing them deserve to be treated foolishly.

September 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  5. Former Independent

Just keep spouting your vile venom Obamatrons.

Keep saying "who needs her!"

Keep it up.

You just keep pushing more and more of us towards:

McCain Palin 08

September 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  6. FRAN

who?

September 16, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  7. Nancy, Chicago

Ah, the first little crack in the armor. This is so exciting and she's such an important person in the DNC and a major fund raiser. This tells you that other Hillary supporters are coming right behind and O-blah-blah-blah cannot win without them.

My heart is singing.

McCain/Palin 08'

Sarah Palin 12 & 16'

September 16, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  8. emily

How can you trust McCain the liar and Palin who won't come clean on troopergate? Its getting more and more mind boggling every day.

September 16, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  9. Bob

Hillary is doing a greeaaat job supporting Obama huh?

Obama-Biden never!

Hillary...never ever!!

September 16, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  10. CJ

I don't see how she can call Obama an elistist .

Sometimes things just do not make sense and this is one of them.
    She dislikes him ...fine but there is more here than she is saying...
    Hillary and OBama are on the same page politically , so it is either she is racist or sexist or just concerned her millions will be taxed more under Obama and she will pay less with MCcain ...my bet is follow the money!

September 16, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  11. Chris

Yea ok. Keep acting like race has nothing to do with it. Either that, or actually take the time to become educated and pay attention to policies. I'm sick and tired of so-called "Hillary supporters" who think that their next best bet is to back McCain/Palin when it's obvious policy has nothing to do with their decision.

September 16, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  12. JN

Good for you! we don't need your vote anyway. Go stand next to John, Cindy and Palin...the biggest "elitest" group of them all.

Why don't you just admit that you can't vote for a black man. Well I have another word for you and "no" it isn't elitist...it's BIGGOT!!!!

September 16, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  13. NickH

Yeah the poster above mentioning the person over policy hit the nail on the head.
    I keep hearing the Clinton's will be out for Obama, and I keep waiting for it.

September 16, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  14. Bill Tampa

You gotta be kidding me!!!She says he's an Elitist???...She is worth Millions and didn't pull herself up by her bootstraps like Obama did..talk about Hypacritical!!!!!!!!

Good Ridance..It's obvious you do not care about Hillary's policies, but only that she was a woman.

September 16, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  15. Charles

Hiding behind the Democratic party to hide her racism, she was never behind Hillary, a true Democrat will follow the parties nominee no mater who they are.

September 16, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  16. Brian

You go Lynn!!

September 16, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  17. Bob, Ohio

Let me get this straight... "Lynn Forester de Rothschild," CEO of EL Rothschild, who is married to international banker "Sir Evelyn de Rothschild"...

...is calling Obama elitist?

That's rich.

Sounds like she's voting John "Country Club First" McCain for a reason — they're the elitists!

September 16, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. Tori, Oregon

Her name and her background is Elitist! As a Female I have to say FU for not supporting my right to my body!!!!!

September 16, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  19. John

Another candidate who couldnt understand what hillary stood for.Its a shame that just because the other ticket has a women VP (used as a scapegoat for political mileage) you go againt the ideas you supported for such a long time.

Hillary Suporter for unity and Obama.

September 16, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  20. Steve C

too bad for her that hillary will NEVER be president, as many of her supporters hope obama will lose so hillary can run again.

nevermind what hillary achieved–she still pissed off alot of people with her evil campaign tactics. I for one would never vote for her.

Hillary and her supporters are evil at the core.

GOBAMA.

September 16, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  21. dgordon

What, no real issues to discuss? So another rich person, afraid of losing her power and status with the true elite, makes a lame attempt to influence the less informed of us. Sorry Lynn but we've been paying attention this time. Thank you for your tax dollars. Great to see you're chipping in.

September 16, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  22. Karridine

Sounds like a Democrat who loves America more than she loves being a Democrat!

Props and kudos, to you, Lynn!

September 16, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  23. Dan,Texas

So it was all about the Lipstick.

September 16, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  24. Chris

September 16, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  25. African

The door has already been closed for trouble -makers who try to make more troubles.

September 16, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |