September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Is Palin guilty of abuse of power? Why won't she let the troopergate investigation continue?

This woman who claimed she supported Hillary does not really value what Hillary stood for. It is obvious that ms. rothschild only wanted a woman in power, any woman, even a woefully unqualified woman. People like this have their own agendas, they don't truly care about the economy or anything else.

September 16, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  2. Anonymous

And how that going to change?

September 16, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  3. Ms White

I guess Hillary will not trust you anymore...trader...Judus.
    I guess as a person in BIG BUSINESS, you are voting for the repugs to keep you AS AN ELITIST that YOU ARE!!!!!

September 16, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  4. Alicia, Flushing, NY

Best news I heard today. This is a call to the other Hillary supporters.
    It's a reminder of how Obama demeaned and debased Hillary in the most sexist of manners. Let's get behind Sarah Palin and show them that we will not put up with sexism and we won't let Obama and the media continue to lie about her.

McCain/Palin 08'

September 16, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  5. Joe

That is just wrong. When did this election become about personality? Obama and Hillary have very similar political agenda's, and to endorse a candidate on the complete opposite side of the political spectrum is absolutely idiotic.

I guess it's true that this election, like the last many elections, are never about the issues.

September 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  6. David

I certainly hope she is now a former member of the DNC!

September 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  7. littleddemocrat

When I read this headline, I was like, "What??!!" But then as I read that the vote-flipper is none other than a Rothschild for goodness' sake, I am now back to a relaxed state of Zen.

If we can get every single multi-billionaire who "splits her time between New York and London," or is married to someone with the title "Sir", to get off of our bandwagon, then maybe once we take power we can institute the real reforms our economy and our political system need.

And, as you other guys have written, how incredibly RICH is it that a Rothschild (who I know nothing about but wouldn't be surprised if she was "schooled in Switzerland" or breeds horses or dabbles in art or some such thing) would call ANYONE else an "elitist". I love it.

Oh, and I hope she didn't "just love" that position on the DNC's Platform Committee.....wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Dean et al weren't too pleased with the madam.

September 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  8. Vincent

Voting from the pocket I see

September 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  9. SD

I don't like him because he is arrogant and disrespectful of experienced people, to the extent that he is willing to mock them publicly. The only person who matches him is Sarah!

September 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  10. Republican for Obama

Don't worry. I will return the vote to Obama. Along with many, many others like me. Don't underestimate the amount of support that will go to Obama from the republican party.

No Way, No How, No McSame/Palin '08

September 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  11. ben

Did you hear the one about the multinational CEO who calls the community organizer "elitist"?

September 16, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  12. Tony

Welcome to the winning team, Lynn! I don't trust that Socialist elitist either!

September 16, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  13. kevin heard

I would love to know what companies this elite person is involved in so that I can choose to not support the phoniness she portrays.

September 16, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  14. E

Obviously she could care less about Hillary's platform. Pathetic.

September 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  15. Michigan Independent

Must be she and/or her company were given a deal she couldn't resist.....

September 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  16. Vincent

Or maybe just another person blinded by a female as a VP.

How could you ever endorse Hillary then change to McCain Palin?
    McCain is old, out of touch, ELITIST himself. He doesn't even know how many houses he owns. Maybe he is just old, or maybe it is because his "mistress", ooooopppsss I mean wife is the one who owns them all.

September 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  17. Chris N, Canada.

Oh my God! I think they should change medication for her because the first one is nolonger effective. How can she cast her vote based on person and not on policies? Anyway, she has just one vote and, it doesnt matter if she votes for MaCain.I think she is an Elitist too.

September 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  18. VantagePoint

Vote with your head, not with your heart! Logic tends to outlast feelings :)

September 16, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  19. jimmy

THIS TURN OF EVENT IS REMARKABLE AND VERY SIGNIFICANT
    BECAUSE THE WOMAN IS A VERY PROMINENT DEMOCRAT WHO
    WIELDS GREAT INFLUENCE IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.
    HER LOYALTY TO HILLARY CLINTON SHOWS STRENGTH OF CHARACTER . THERE ARE OTHERS WHO HAVE SWITCHED TO MCCAIN ND THE NUMBERS ARE GOING TO SWELL IN THE COMING WEEKS BEFORE THE ELECTION.

September 16, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  20. Traci Robbinsa

People wake up and smell the coffee. Obama wants a socialist government. He wants the people to pay more taxes so the 10% can continue to sit on there butts and contribute nothing to this country. I do believe the the government should help the elderly, children and people who are having a tought time. I DO NOT agree with MY taxes being spent on Medicaid for people lay around and pop out babies left and right. WE PAY FOR THIS. Obama loves this it is guaranteed votes!!!

September 16, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  21. Robert

"Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York."

And he's the elitist? Good God do these nutcases hear themselves? Obama was raised in poverty by a single mother on food stamps. He went to school on scholarships. He CAN and DOES relate to the common guy. This fool as well as McCain have never had to live like that. That they both have called Obama an elitist only shows they really believe Americans are stupid..

September 16, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  22. thomas Rand-Nash

i'm sorry-–what does "elitist" mean again? hillary attended wellesley and then yale law school. barack grew up w/o a father, and a mother who worked 2 jobs while she went to college. and yes, he went to harvard. i think in this case, this woman was a republican in spirit to begin with-and therefore "elitist" is code for racist.
    therefore, i say, good riddance, and don't the door hit your "CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild" rich arse on the way out.

September 16, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  23. Tony L.

Go ahead, Lynn, and support McCain–the coward who surrendered to the Viet Cong in defiance of the military code of conduct which specifically states that "I shall never surrender to the enemy." And when you come calling for us Democrats to support Clinton when she runs again, we will support her opposition, just like you're now doing to Obama. You're not a true Democrat. What you're probably telling us is that you can not support an African American for the presidency. You should have the guts to say exactly what you mean. I sure hope that the democrats revoke the position that you're now holding in the party and send you packing to the republicans. Goodbye!!!!!

September 16, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Traitor.

Go have Kosher tea with Lieberman.

September 16, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  25. Canadian Observer

why is this newsworthy? Are you Americans voting on where the candidates stand on the issues? Or are you voting based on race? Sex? Age? Not voting Obama because he beat Hillary? Whatever the case is, you are scaring the rest of the world.....please....no more Republican policies.....

September 16, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |