September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. ashly - west chester, pa

I am laughing as I read.. elitist? I do not care if she is a democrat or republican or liberal; the fact that she called Obama an elitist has racist undertones so evident that she is obliviously out of touch with Democratic ideology. Besides.. WHO is she calling an 'elitist?' she is married to an international banker, she is a CEO, and most likely a millionaire. Barack Obama just finished paying his student loans, and in his book he details how 'for the first 10 years of their marriage, Michelle and Barack's combined student loans were more than their mortgage.'

Hurray for Obama, the NON-elitist, most down to earth respectful man who PENNSYLVANIANS RELATE TO!

Obama/Biden 08!

September 16, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  2. Right of Center, West Coast.

Again, No Moderation is given To CNN because of their Pro -Obama Support throughout this U.S.Election.

September 16, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  3. suzanne

I thought Hillary told her supporters to stand behind Obama......I wonder what Hillary thinks about this turncoat!! A female Joe Lieberman????????

September 16, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  4. Brad IL

Good call Lynn. My family does not like him either. Congrats on making a sound and popular decision . Keep the money rolling in for the Republican candidates. The Democrats will run out of the welfare donors real soon ,with the market going in the tank. Thanks again

September 16, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  5. Tracy in MN

It's clear she is just in it for the internal plumbing, and not for Hillary or her policies. That is very disappointing, and maybe Hillary and the DNC should cut ties with her.

September 16, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  6. Electress

This is so good for US. Rothschild endorsement has just boosted
    many people confidence in this election.

September 16, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  7. lovable liberal

What was this person doing in the Democratic Party? Trying to leverage a hostile takeover?

September 16, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  8. joe

As Hillary herself said, you are offending her. "NO WAY, NO HOW, NO McCAIN, NO PALIN!"

Whatever, who cares about your endorsement? I've never even heard of you...no one is going to be like "oh, now because this lady is endorsing McCain, I'm going to change my mind." Yeah, right...

September 16, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  9. Non-military waste

I am so sick of hearing about who insignificant folk are backing. I would be ashamed to use "trust" and "like" as my reason for choosing a candidate.

The US looks so laughable to other countries – especially in regards to how we make political decisions.

Well I'm not voting for McCain because he wear too make navy blue suits.

September 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  10. worst pick ever

Hillary would have been unstoppable against McCain. But Obama is a joke and his supporters have very effectively turned off the other 60% of Americans, including the 10% that will decide this election.

September 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  11. Bernie Moore-Knowles

This is TOO FUNNY. A woman with a name like Lynn Forester de Rothschild – calling Obama an elitist? I am with the above poster – don't let the door hit you in the rear end on your way to the McCain/Palin camp, "sweetie."

Bernie Moore-Knowles
    Papa'aloa, Hawai'i

September 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  12. Elizabeth

Bah! Hahahahahaha. This is too funnny. Last time I checked, there were a lot of Republicans for Obama such as Dick Lugar and the form GOP Governor of VA who is campaigning for him soon. but why report on that when you can have another excuse to talk about Hillary, CNN?

September 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  13. Will - OKC

Mrs. Rothschild, regular Americans do not care if you are supporting John McCain. This election is more important to us than it is to you, because we do not have the untold wealth or access to powerful leaders of industry and politics as you do.

So take your temper tantrums elsewhere, because YOU are the real elitist and just because you can twist arms in your insular world of wealth and privilege does not mean that Americans care at all about your political leanings.

September 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  14. Chidi

With a name like De Rothschild, she sounds like a woman of the people:). She's angry cause she just found out the limitations of her money. She probably thought Obama was going to come kiss her ring.

Mrs whatever your name is, news flash, you're extremely incosequential. We need neither your vote or money. Become a McSame Raiser....

September 16, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  15. Ty, Minnesota

Good Riddance! Someone who once endorsed Hillary and now endorses McCain belongs in the Republican camp. It's where all the flip-floppers go.

True democrats and Hillary supporters stay united under the Democratic party.

September 16, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  16. vince

She sounds like the one who is the elitist! Obama doesn't need her elitist 100 grand donations anyway; he makes millions from donation $100 and less!

September 16, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  17. madphysicist1

good for her...

September 16, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  18. Chris

Hey Rothschild! TAKE A HIKE!!!

YES WE WILL!!!
    Obama-Biden '08!!!

September 16, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  19. sidney from NEW YORK

thanks but no thanks if we want this election we will will ourselfs

September 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  20. Brooke

The cult of Obamabots is already attacking Mrs Rothschild for daring to exercise her 1st Amendment rights. I ask them, why isn't she allowed to endorse whomever she wants? if she had endorsed Obama you would have been heaping praise on her. I think it takes a lot for her to endorse McCain. McCain/Palin 2008/2012, President Palin 2016/2020.

September 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  21. David, Santa Rosa, CA

This person is not a Democrat... She's just an angry woman. Though it begs the question... where is Bill & Hillary in all this? Why aren't we seeing more riteous indignation from the Clintons.. ESPECIALLLY Hillary? Palin is exploiting the gap left by Hillary and Hillary has been tepid in responding.

Has it escaped anyones attention that if McCain get's the nod in 2008, then Hillary will have another run at it in 2012 (as opposed to 2016 if Obama gets in?)

September 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  22. Anonymous

She must be a racist for not endorsing Obama!
    Traitor!!!

September 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  23. Brian

Ummmm....who cares? My neighbor has been a Republican his whole life and is voting for Obama. Maybe this should be headline news as well.

Nevermind the fact that she says she "doesn't like Obama as a person". Because I'm sure she's met him and knows him well. If she's that stupid, then she should be voting for McCain!

September 16, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  24. A VOTE FOR AMERICA

OK THEN, is she an American or Brit, it seems to me that she is playing a double agent and protecting her Money and the unfair trade practice that we here in America go through. So let me say this. She is just a Republican in the Democratic party. I will say this again. If McCain and Obama switched convention speeches McShame would be a sure win because Obama is for America and Americans, he IS NOT FOR JUST THE PEOPLE WITH MONEY..

I WONDER WHO THE REPUBLICAN ARE GOING TO TAXS WHEN THERE ARE NO MORE JOBS IN AMERICA.. I GUESS THE RICH WILL MOVE TO HMMMM LONDON.

A VOTE FOR OBAMA/BIDEN IS A VOTE FOR AMERICA

September 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  25. al in tennessee

well I'm glad she was honest that she did not like Obama.. That as good of reason to vote for McCain - no need to believe in McCain policy and no need to feel you trust McCain. Sad truth is alot of people think this way.

I would hate to be an employee with a CEO thinking like that - really inspires my performance > to know this person can call someone who has earned his way and elitist and not be laught at. What a shame. Some all hard working American will be uppity and elitist.

September 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |