September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. ber6964

Another rich elitist trying to call Sen. Obama an elitist. Wow!! Maybe the rich are really scared of Obama's tax plans........

September 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  2. arun

Did she just call him an elitist ? I think this woman needs to go back and look up ironic in the dictionary

September 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  3. zzzobserver In NY

Elite, what is this ; these people just use words? So you dont like the guy ; just say that. Stop cluelessly using words where they dont fit. This must be lieing season, or quite possibly she has a case of Republicanitis

September 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  4. Non-military waste

By the way, I'm holding a press conference to announce my stance against excessive navy suits.

September 16, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  5. Bee1000

Apparently she was not planning to vote for Hillary based on her policies or her politics since McCain/Palin represent the polar opposite viewpoints. I can only guess that she was supporting Hillary solely on the fact that she is a woman. How very deep of her, to cast your vote based on genitalia.

September 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  6. The Weatherman

Just a typical female voter angry at Obama even as Obama slams Sarah Palin for not being experienced.........Sounds like Obama does not like women. I just love the way his folks just don't understand women as they try to scare them with the abortion issue. Most women I know don't care about abortion but do care about respect.

I am so sick of the race card. I'm not voting for the guy because he is a skilled waffler, flip flopper or whatever kind of liar you want to describe. Obama is a skilled politician rather than a statesman or a commander-in-chief.

September 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  7. Nick

Big business is supporting McCain?? IMPOSSIBLE!

September 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  8. Emily

Doesn't she realize that McCain is the complete opposite of Hilary?

September 16, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. paul

I am offended that you call her a clinton backer......clearly she is not!

September 16, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  10. Stop The Madness! - DALLAS, TEXAS

I read her statement statement over and over and I'm still sitting here trying to find the validity in Lynn De La whatever reasons as to switch to a candidate who is completely OPPOSITE of what Hillary Cllinton stood for. You were on the bandwagon apparently...so we don't mind dropping you off!!!

WAKE UP AMERICA! WE ARE IN FOR A NIGHTMARE IF YOU THINK FOR ONE SECOND THE REPUBLICANS ARE OUT FOR YOUR BEST INTEREST.

I know this won't get posted but I feel better now.

September 16, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  11. Independent but Leaning

Bad news for the chosen one. Obama is fading....

September 16, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  12. Shannon

Elitist?!!!!!! BUWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Her last name is actually de Rothschild, she's the CEO of an international company and splits her time between New York and London. Oh yeah, she's a woman of the people! Call a spade a spade lady (cuz we know you won't vote for one)

September 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  13. noTrueDem

Anyone who goes from the core belief of Dems to vote Republican really are out of touch with REALITY-–Dah you are really a Republican in sheep's clothing! Beware of this type of prejudice!

September 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  14. Drew

Another Democrat has seen the light! As more of Obama's shady past trickles out between now and election day, more and more Democrats are goig to jump ship.

**MCCAIN*PALIN'08**

September 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  15. Buzz

Now there is a lady who knows how to pick a winning team. I hope you Obamabots have medical help standing by 7 weeks from tonight in case you start hyperventilating from the stress of his defeat..

September 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  16. then don't vote

if you're a democrat and don't like obama don't vote. voting for mccain is sufficient justification for losing any credibility as a member of the DNC.

i still fail to see how obama is more elitist than hillary and mccain. unless elitist is code for something else.

hell hath no fury...

September 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  17. Independent but Leaning

irony, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that gas has gone up EVEN IN STATES WITH DEMOCRAT GOVERNORS

September 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  18. AJP

She thinks he's elitist? This from Lady CEO de Rothschild. I've heard about her throughout the primaries and honestly why doesn't she just come out and say it: I don't like him because he's black and beat Hillary.

Of course she will use other superficial reasons for not supporting him, but when a Democrat has not turned at this point in the game to the Obama side the reason becomes clear.

Obviously she doesn't care about issues, policies, and so on.

September 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  19. Remy

Clintons made more damage to Obama than McCain!

September 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  20. Ryan

I'm laughing out loud at this foolish woman, more importantly who cares how she feels about the candidates (really newsworthy? i think not). Its obvious shes voting with her vagina and not her brain.

She would rather vote in spite because she didn't get the candidate she wanted, let her. When a rapist impregnates her and Palin forces her to keep the child through its term against her will i'll just be saying "I told you so".

September 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  21. Brian

Unbelievable, a ROTHSCHILD calling Obama an elitist!!! I just her family's swiss bank credentials and million dollar trust funds make them down to earth.

September 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  22. sandee in Portland

Another CEO of a large corporation and one who obviously was only for Hillary because she was a woman and not for her because she agreed with her stance on issues. Another woman who does not believe in women's rights, just that that women should be in power regardless of what they believe. Bet she's a member of PUMA

September 16, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  23. Hmmmm...

Sounds to me like a big money lady who doesn't care for a candidate that can't be bought...

September 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  24. sue

McCain can have the elitist....her, cindy & sarah will get along great.
    Rothchild in-Fiorina out.

September 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  25. Scott Peters

Who cares who this woman supports. I am confused. She cannot trust him BECAUSE he is an elitist?? Ms. Rothschild should read a dictionary- I think under elitist she may find in parenthesis the word (Republican). May be she can hang out in one of McCain many homes. She's an idiot...

September 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |