September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Noorah

That's nice... clearly this woman is an idiot and can't see through the lies that McShame and Failin spit out. Whatev, Obama doesn't need her anyways.

Obama/Biden '08!

September 16, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  2. MBFLA

A guy raised by a single parent and his grandparents at times on foodstamps, who went to school on scholarships and worked as a community organizer VS a guy who is married to a multi-millionaire and cannot remember how many houses he owns. Which one sounds more like an elitist to you? That excuse just does not fly.

September 16, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  3. Tony

Pathetic doesn't even scratch the surface... The worse part of this is that this person has some influence...

September 16, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  4. Mary, ex-PUMA

So someone who is am millionaire several times over and married to someone who has been knighted is claiming Obama is an elitist. As such she's endorsing a man who is so wealthy he doesn't know how many houses he owns?

What is wrong with these people? And they claim a cult of personality for Obama? I supported Hillary during the campaign and I was upset with her loss, so much so I was considering McCain. Then I pulled my head from my backside and realized I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

September 17, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  5. agnes

There is an old psychological saying: you pinpoint in others what you don't like about yourself.

September 17, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  6. Dylan

Nothing like casting your vote based on a childish vendetta. Obama may just be too good for the level of intellect our country is proving to have. “I feel like he is an elitist", this person says. Meanwhile, she is married to an international banker with businesses all over the globe. What a joke.

September 17, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  7. Laura

Oh yeah!! Obama hatred coming in 5...4....3....2....1!

September 17, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  8. DR

I'm sorry but who is she again? Why is she taking this so personal? She better hope Obama don't win in November because she's a goner as the DNC Platform Committee.

September 17, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  9. Dave, Seattle

I don't understand all these millionaires accusing Obama of being an elitist. I don't know what the term "elitist" means to these people. Are we to believe that the CEO of El Rothschild is woman of the common people? It's like members of the New York Yankees accusing the Florida Marlins of overspending on free agents. It makes no sense.

September 17, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  10. A College Teacher

I cannot believe that someone with the name of Rothschild is calling someone else "elitist." Come on. The true meaning is that she likes tax cuts and does not like people of color. That is clear to me.

There is no way she would abandon Democratic Party principles, except for those reasons.

September 17, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  11. Rich

Who's an elitist? Seriously?

September 17, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  12. commonsense

Sorry Lynn you could not possibly be a democrat and support the McCain/Palin ticket. Not sure what your motives are but it does not reflect the ideas of the democratic party. I suggest you change your party affliation and becomre a Republican. We really don't need you.

September 17, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  13. Crazythinker

This person clearly vote for Hillary the person and not what Hillary stood for. Lynn is most probably a closet racist and think powerful African Americans are all elitists just because of the color of their skin and the fact that they are successful. Despicable traitor....we don't need the likes of her in our party.

Obama/Biden 08!!!

September 17, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  14. Oreagano

Irony, do your homework before you post. Alaska's unemployment rate has always been higher than the U.S. average. In fact before Palin became Governor it was 2% higher.
    This is why dummies vote Democrat.

September 17, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  15. Ms Brown

That is horrible. LOL! Good bye we don't want you. JUDAS!!!

September 17, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  16. shahid

Finally CNN is fair for a bit. Attacking Republicans all the time is not too good for CNN. Anyway, we need more of this no-none-sense individual to balance out this race. Obama gets all the advantages that any candicate can ask for in US history, from unpopular republican adminstration to liberal media, the economy, the Democratic winning momentum, the Internet age, etc.

If he's not winning – it's really, really dump of the master and followers and all the wasted money that Obama raised.

September 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  17. Amanda

This woman is a loser, who cares???

September 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  18. Gerald in Portland

The rich old bag is worried about what will happen to her tax breaks and her ability to buy her way into our government. I'm a simple white guy who can tell the difference between an agent of change and someone who will change to get a vote.....I'll vote for Obama and encourage my friends to do the same...Cheers

September 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  19. spiculari

the rothschilds calling obama elitist? give me a break...

September 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  20. JohnLee

Voting for McCain means you either don't have a brain or you don't have a brain!

September 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  21. TRBoston

Who cares? What's more important is that McCain-Palin are currently doing everything in their power to thwart a bipartisan ethics investigation by way of political clout, refusing to honor subpoenas and generally ignoring the rule of law. Sound familiar? This ticket makes me sick.

September 17, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  22. fred

She's married to someone with "Sir" as his title and "Rothchild" as a surname, she has residences in New York AND London (two of the world's most expensive cities) and calls the child of a single mother who spent considerable time in third world countries "elitist". Please give me a break.

September 17, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  23. Steven Johnson

Number one, how can a black man in America possibly be an elitist. Like he could ever gain membership into a wealthy white men's club.
    Number two, I think you should have to disclose your IQ results if you originally supported Hilary Clinton and now your saying that you back McCain. That's not even a 180, that beats Tony Hawk's record.

September 17, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  24. Theresa

Ok, this elitist thing has got to go. SO now everyone who works hard and attends an Ivy League School (none of which I have) is an elitist? No, an elitist is someone who belittles others for not knowing fine wine or cuban cigars. An elitist is someone who deliberately makes you feel unworthy for the person you are. He may be many things, but Obama isn't the least bit elitist. Newsflash–it's ok for people to have more money or go to a better school if they try for it. Really, it's ok. So please stop with the empty rhetoric, particularly if you only endorsed Clinton because she was a woman, and that's why you're moving over to McCain/Palin who have been on every news channel being debunked.

September 17, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  25. A Burns

Sounds like someone who is accustomed to always getting her way and when she doesn't, it's "I'll take my toys and go home." Speaking of home(s), it sounds like that is certainly something she has in common with John McCain – a lot of homes. "Lady" Rothschild calling Obama elitist, now that's laughable.

September 17, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |