September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Mike

I'm sure hubby being an INTERNATIONAL BANKER has nothing to do with the choice.

September 17, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  2. New York

Headline:Prominent Hillary Clinton Supporter Joins the Losing Team

September 17, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  3. First time floridian voter

I think its pathetic that CNN has opted not to let individuals on the ticker comment about the insubordinate Palin in her home state of Alaska, where apparently everyone doesn't love her.

September 17, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  4. Peter of Oregon

good luck with that.

September 17, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  5. Bethany

She says her main reason is that she 'doesn't like' Obama. Sweetie, you don't have to LIKE someone in order to vote for them....if you actually had policies you believed in. Which, this woman clearly doesn't. Anyone else notice, that McPalin found another 'woman gimmick' to announce within 48 hours of the tide turning back to Obama. THIS IS A GIMMICK. Do NOT be distracted.

Donate. Volunteer. Spread the truth.

Obama\Biden

September 17, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  6. unseen

To all moderate dems, come on in the water is warm. The dem party has been hijacked by the liberal left wing of your party. From weak national defense, 100% socialism, and anti-free speech the left has stolen your party. While Reps and mod dems may not agree on every issue. I think most of us can agree that a strong national defense, free speech, and capitalism are good ideas to form a partnership on. So come on over. McCain will anger the far right as much if not more as the far left in the coming years. He is not really a conservative like Bush no matter what the lhardcore left or the MSM say. So if you want things to change but are afraid of embracing hard core socialism and all the evils that come from that, vote for McCain this year.

September 17, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  7. Peter of Oregon

another personality voter. Easily guided by negative ads.

September 17, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  8. Greg H

Lynn, let me ask you one question. How many 'average' Americans spend their time living between New York and London? Probably less than 1/2 of 1%. Lynn Forester de Rothschild, you have got to be one of the biggest hypocrites of all time to call Senator Obama an elitist.

September 17, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  9. mr. truth

if she was a real democrat, supporting the nominee shouldn't be a problem. this decision is all about race. why can't we just come out and say it. if hillary had won the nomination, white democrats would be counting on the black vote to get her in the white house, but a black democratic can't get your support. why don't you tell it like it is, you would rather support the white man instead of the more qualified black man. take the freaking sheet off for once in your life.

September 17, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  10. Independent from FL

To everyone in this ticker:
    People have every right to vote for whatever appeals to them.
    Many people are voting for Obama because he's black, some women are voting for Sarah because she's a women.
    Others vote for wanting Government Handouts.
    Some people vote for Issues or even because of a preference for 1st lady.
    Respect people's decision as I respect yours.
    McCain 2008 / Hilary 2012 vs Palin

September 17, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  11. Paul Nolan

Its a free country, she can do what she wants. I am sure there are Republicans who dont like McCain who will vote for Obama. Such is life. The end story is who wins, not who gives money. I gave money as a small individual but you dont cover small people. Just the big shots like this who get undue attention.

September 17, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  12. kim

what exactly is an elitist?? palin, obviously not - uneducated and dumb (different things), self proclaimed red neck, etc. but this chick, mccain, bush, cheney . . . . hate to break it to you, but anyone who is running seriously for president, who went to harvard, naval acadamy, law school, has millions upon millions . . . is, compared to % of us, an elitist. frankly i'd rather have the "elite" ie - above average in every way - running the country, not someone who is in way over her head.

September 17, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  13. Sage

what makes Barack Obama is simply, Obama is solely accountable to the people, not the corporations and special interest groups...Palin likes to say how they will shake up Washington, Obama will fix Washington....while McCain likes to say "country first?. Obama is country first in his actions...

September 17, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  14. michael s

she isn't the only one

HILLARY in 2012

September 17, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  15. reagan

Expect more Democrats to endorse the McCain/Palin ticket in these closing days.

As a Hillary supporter I and millions of other voters remember EXACTLY what kind of sleazy slime ball campaign Obama ran against her all the way to the day of the elections the Obama camp and it's supporters slimed the voting process by chastising African Americans if they didn't vote for Obama.

Thank you Mrs. Rothschild, for going above your party to make sure the right candidate is elected into office this November.

September 17, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  16. Crispus

Look her up she is the epitome of rich "ELITIST". I guest that Obama just is not the type of person she would let in her country club. Just another bigot with no substance.

September 17, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  17. Trysh

So, she is basing her decision on her dislike of Obama personally. She hasn't said he can't do the job; she just doesn't like him. With thinking like that, she sounds like she should be a republican anyway.

September 17, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  18. Barack

Anyone not for voting for me is racist and I will bring my wrath upon them. My disciples are just and fair... as long as you fall in line and accept me as your one and true God.

September 17, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  19. Anonymous

What a brave lady to buck the anointed Obama. Didn't Obama literally say he didn't need Hillary supporters? This woman is doing the same as me.....defecting until we clean up the Democrat Party. I'll be voting for McCain in '08 as well. I'm no longer a Democrat. The far left has taken over. I'm not comfortable and my gut is telling me things are not adding up with Obama. I read his book and he contradicts himself all the time when questioned about his past.

I can't wait to vote.

September 17, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  20. rrow

We're with you Ms. Rothschild! As a member of the DNC seing firsthand, the demise of democracy at the RBC, caucas fraud, nominating denial for Hillary and forced, fixed roll call vote – not following the will of the people , would be enough to make anyone run to McCain/Palin. I know I and many others will be joining you. PUMA

September 17, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  21. Ohio Voter

This is ridiculous. This voter trusts McCain and Palin more than Obama and Biden? Has she been following the campaign? Almost every media outlet has called out McCain and Palin for their lies.

And a member of the de Rothschild family is claiming that Obama–a candidate who just paid off his student loans–is elitist? And all of this at the same time that the US economy literally is crashing? If this is the type of thoughtlessness–and personal pique–that motivates American voters, then we truly deserve what we get.

Ms. de Rothschild, when I lose my job, my house, and the value in my investment funds, can I come live in one of your foreign homes?

September 17, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  22. Frustrated Independent

who cares, a multi millionaire with an aristocratic last name talking about people who are elitists. Lynn, we don't care what you think, you are an idiot and we hope you leave the country for good. And I was a staunch hillary supporter.

September 17, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  23. travis p

This is awesome watching the disgusting left-wing party break down. Welcome to the good side Lynn, the winning side. BO is NOT trustworthy and even dems are coming to their senses. Maybe you guys should stop spitting vile nonsense and running people away from your party.

September 17, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  24. Kevin from MN

Apparently if you are smart and graduate from Harvard, these days that means your an elitist. whatever happened to the days when people wanted elite smart people to run their government??? Why is everyone so obsessed with having some ordinary guy(or gal) that they would feel comfortable having a beer with? Do people just want to feel better about themselves? Like they have a shot to be president too?

September 17, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  25. State O'Decline

Lynn Forester de Rothschild is EXACTLY the kind of person who should not be allowed to vote.

September 17, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |