September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Robert

Well, i don't understand her reasoning but she is free to do what she wants. I wonder what Hillary thinks though? If i was in Hillary's shoes i would come out publicly and let her supporters know what she thinks about this. I think Hillary would be wise to dump this person from her inner circle and of course the Democratic party needs to boot her off the team. Why can't Dems be a little more faithful like the GOP. Oh well what can you do?

I sure hope Obama wins, not because he is a Dem, but because he is just a better person.
    Take care

September 17, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  2. Alvin

Such a myopic decision Forester has made. Because "I don't like him," I am going to defect to the party whose ideals are completely different than mine. On the other hand, the Republicans have perfected the "cut off my nose to spite my face" act so I suppose she is going where she belongs.

September 17, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  3. Roger Porter

The nerve of such a person calling Obama an elitist. What can it mean other than that he has had the best education possible in Amertica, and is a clear, subtle thinker. She has more money than God and homes internationally. And she calls him an elitist?!? This is utterly perverse.

September 17, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  4. McCain Palin power

Dem's stop your crying she just figured out Obama for what he is a phony. He has no experience running anything and made his biggest mistake shunning Clinton and he will pay for that. A community organizer is nothing compared to governor of Alaska. McCain is popular for working with Dem's and Republican's to get things done and that's what America wants, someone to stop all the fighting and work together to fix the country and the polls are showing it. Obama also is going to lose a lot of NRA votes as they will endorse McCain and Palin. Ohio is experiencing a lot of excitement for McCain Palin.

September 17, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  5. Jeremy

Being educated, rational and fair makes you an elitist, while being ignorant, scared and hypocritical simply exemplifies your small-town values. Awesome. Cool country.

September 17, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  6. Proud Texan

John McPain said "Her main reason: "I don't like him." Is that because he is a man or black man?"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is wrong with you? If you think you are helping Obama's campaign out by calling somone a racist just because they aren't voting for him are misinformed or just downright stupid. Racist do exist in this country but they are not John McCain supporters, they are people exactly like you.

September 17, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  7. Ayon

They dont need her at Obama's Camp!!!!!!!!!!!

September 17, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  8. Lipstick

She's not the only one!!!!

Barack Obama doesn't want my vote.

So be it.

September 17, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  9. Steve

Elitist? Please let her go on TV, she can only help Obama by endorsing McCain.

September 17, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  10. Jeff

Oh no, Lady de Rothschild thinks that Obama is an elitist! Clearly, the issues that matter in this election are irrelevant to her ladyship, but they are drastically important to the average American who is not a member of the British peerage. Milady, go back to your parlour games...and don't worry, if Obama is elected you won't have to invite him for tea.

September 17, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  11. Ron

Obama should have picked Hillary for VP.; then it could be the battle of pant suits.

September 17, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  12. michelle

This is great news. Obama's presidency would set a bad example for our young people because it would show that people can advance their career without any real experiences and achievement but only pretty and empty words. Women (and men) who cherish the true American values will not vote for Sen. Obama.

September 17, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  13. B

WOW! This lady is calling Obama an elitist? I guess Obama's plan for raising taxes on millionaires scares her, as she (and McCain) may have to reduce their muliti-mansion, jet-setting lifestyles a little. Or is it that he's too black, or too male? RIDICULOUS – don't these people listen to what is coming out of their mouths?

September 17, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  14. john michael otieno

Forester, you should realize that you have the free will of choice, if you don't like obama for your own person reasons, thats up to you, mccain is there waiting for the likes of your kind with both arms open, i personnally don't like him, i think he is too old and unhealthy and latetly all he can tell Americans is his out-dated military stories, he is obvoiusly out of touch and out of ideas, maybe you might be of help to him, so please feel free.

September 17, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  15. Obama Rules

I'm sorry. Who is actually running for the presidency on the Republican ticket? If people, women in particular, are voting for the Republican ticket because John McCain opted for Palin to garner Senator Clinton's 18 million votes then we are all stupider than I thought. Don't be duped people, we know Senator Clinton and Sarah Palin is no Senator Clinton. Some might call it a shrewd move on Palin McBush's part. However, I find it desperately sad. By the way, McBush needs to stop hidding behind Palin's skirts, and let's talk issues.

Are we voting for a legacy or for our future? If the latter, then Obama is the clear choice.

September 17, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  16. 12345678

I'm a 46 years old working mom and a Hillary fan. To me, there's no comparison between Hillary and Pilan: Hillary put her family 1st while Bill was in trouble. Pilan was too busy catching her life time chance to care about her 17 years old daughter. If she doesn't care about her daughter, how can I count on her to care about mine? Hillary worked hard in 18 months to get the votes, Pilan takes advantages to be on the GOP ticket 1st and then towards her rail goal -President; I'm not an Obama fan but I'm going to vote for him simply because I don't trust Pilan.

September 17, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  17. James in STL

~~~~~ TO TISH~~~~~~~~~

"Obama doesn't need her he has millions of supporters!!! She can take her big mouth and her money!! Who needs her!!!"

It's this attitude of Obama supports that is costing Obama the election. His numbers are dropping daily even in "very blue" states. You bloggers said the same things about all of the Hillary supporters while she was running and shortly thereafter. NEWSFLASH you do need this supporter of Hillary and every other one in the country if you want Obama to win. Obama was very arrogant in not choosing Hillary as his VP and if he loses this election he only has himself to blame. The fact is Sarah Palin is exciting. She's new and she's exciting. Joe Biden brings no excitement to the ticket. It's like adding another Grandpa, who although a great man doesn't add any energy. Obama has always been the media's golden boy, but now Sarah is stealing the show!

September 17, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  18. Robert

This is exactly why Hillary lost the primary. It wasnt because of Hillary policies it was because of her supporters making Hillary look elitist and do as i say and not as i do kind of attitude. They choose people over policy and that my friends is why she lost. I feel sorry for Hillary though because I dont think its something she can control.

September 17, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  19. Jake

Seriously, not to play this card, but she really sounds like a racist. For real.

September 17, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  20. Arizonan for Obama/Biden

Who is this person and why do we care? Another non news story. And speaking of Elitists she should stop talking. Besides wouldn't you rather have an educated man(which the right has hicjacked as elitists) or a man with no education?

September 17, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  21. Moe, NY

No surprise here, of course she will go for McSame, as McSame supports Big Business and Lobbyists....just look at his campaign staff. This woman has a nerve calling Obam an elitist being the CEO of EL Rothschild and married to an international banker. This woman is the elitist, not Obama. Another whacko!

September 17, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  22. a bitter racist

that's what she sounds like; I am sure she thinks everybody likes her because of her money. What a pathetic looser!!

September 17, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  23. Isidore Tamo

What a short minded person to claim: I don't like him. I thought she will say something about Obama's policies that she doesn't like. She has a different motive to support a republican offering the same policies as Bush, and who is against the women right to choose. I will respect her if she reveals her true motives; however, based on what I read about her so far, she does not have the intellectual capacity to do so: what a hypocrite and looser.

September 17, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  24. steve

I sure hope that the DNC boots her from that committee before she even gets a chance to make that endorsement.

September 17, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  25. Rob indetroit

She's calling him elitist, and she's a Rothchild, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

September 17, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |