September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. PALIN=G.W.

who cares? We get Powell soon!

September 17, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  2. anonymous

An elitist? Can someone please inform her that McCain chose Sarah Palin as his running mate? Yes, Sarah Palin who simply gave potshots during her nomination acceptance speech instead of addressing issues. This is the same Sarah Palin who is being hidden under lock and key because the GOP doesn't want to expose her ignorance on the national issues.

Wait, I'm sorry. What I just said probably makes me a sexist, right?

September 17, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  3. Hollywood underground

She sure has upset the Kool aid drinkers. What is there to trust about a man who doesn't know what the word transparency means. Who tries to hide his past and can only make promises because he has no track record to stand on.

September 17, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  4. Bear

My goodness! Are we bitter? This is someone that doesn't like Obama. No reason to call her racist, or and elitist or whatever. Moreover, the attack on Palin continues, despite the fact her constituents love her – 82% approval.
    Here's your problem – your candidate is an empty suit. If he weren't black, no one would have considered his run for President.

September 17, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  5. Elisabeth Montgomery

The idea that you don't like someone as a person is OK I guess if you don't know them well. For instance, I really dislike the guys who were fighter bombers dropping bombs on the Vietnamese - as opposed to the troops on the ground who really had to live and fight hand to hand. I just dislike those äloof" types. And I don't like back-woodsy women who sling their rifles over their backs, don't watch their kids very well - at least not like we do in MY neighborhood. Obama is educated and I guess that makes him elitist. So was his own father and mother for heaven's sake! Ph.Ds - can you imagine sucha heritage for our country?
    I can - I don't know Obama well but I wouldn't trust a bomber hero as far as I could throw him!.

September 17, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  6. SB

Some people are such hypocrites....you have money coming out of the wazoo ...and have the nerve to call someone else 'elistist'....it's utterly ridiculous coming from her ...as well as McCain....come on now...they are truly trying to play the American public for stupid....

September 17, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  7. BJ

Obviously she senses something in Obama she doesn't trust. Something intangible that is rooted in his spirit. The words he utters are not what he feels in his heart. There is something inate in Obama that I too do not like nor trust. And this is the reason why I will never vote for him either.

McCain/Palin

September 17, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  8. Alabama for Obama

Whatever.

September 17, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  9. paavo

Tish. Seems you don't like it when your socialist networks cover even some news that is unfavorable to Obama.

Wright... racist.
    Ayers... terrorist.
    Rezko... criminal.
    Iraq... would have gone against intel of all the world's agencies.
    Surge... Wrong.

I don't trust Obama or his judgment either.

September 17, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  10. David, ID

I wonder what she was promised. I just hope that the Democrats remember this betrayal and refuse her money from here on in.

September 17, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  11. Portia, Los Angeles CA

Blah, Blah, Blah... who cares who this woman is supporting!

Forester is not a true Democrat, rather she appears to be a closet republican. No true Democrat who supports and holds to the fundamental beliefs and ideologies of the Democratic party could ever SUPPORT and HELP a republican nominee, especially one like John McCain.

CNN.. please stop reporting on people like her, your attempt to stir up trouble and discord is obvious (and disheartening). The true Democrats are united against McCain. For once, try to curb your right-wing bias and give us real news!

Obama/Biden '08

September 17, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  12. David

Hmmmm....

so she spends half her time in the US, and half in London.... and ... gasp... Obama.... is the elitist.

September 17, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  13. irony of irony

Governments don't create jobs, businesses do – unless they're government jobs, which require tax dollers, which hurt the economy... You do the math.

September 17, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  14. bob in LA

This woman obviously wasn't a real Clinton supporter or she supported her for reasons other than her beliefs.
    Clinton's policies are very similar to those of Obama. I too, have problems with him, but my core values, and what I see as the problems and the solutions to those problems will be best solved by Obama.
    Clinton and McCain have one thing in comon- they are both good people, but they do not share any views that can make you go from one to the other.
    Mrs de Rothchild- what's in this for you and your obviously wealthy family to have McCain in the White House?

September 17, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  15. Duncan Renaldo

Hillary doesn't want Obama winning, this is no secret. The Clinton machine will be providing the McCain campaign with all kinds of help in the coming weeks.

September 17, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  16. linda

I agree with Lynn. I am also voting for McCain, and what a joy it will be to have Hillary in 2012. If Obama did not know that he was NOT in Denver, but that he was in Pueblo, how can we expect him to know how to run our country? Open your eyes and ears voters! Don;t be foolish to be taken in by his arrogance and nonsensical jargon.

September 17, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  17. Tyree,LV

Go To The GOP, Your Reason To Not Vote For Obama Is Because You Don't Like Him. She Clearly doesn't Care About The Economy Either Then.

Obama/Biden 08'

September 17, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  18. John K

All the more reason for Obama to win. What convoluted thinking.

September 17, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  19. polar bear

you got it right, hypocrisy rules.

Pitiful. Rothschild was willing to go to the wall for Hillary, but not for what Hillary believes in. Guess she would rather see a President Palin than a President Clinton, or a Clinton in charge of health care.

Pitiful is right.

September 17, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  20. Curliss

What dont you hard core Obama or Hillary supporter get? John McCain is no Bush. He is his own man. The democrats controlled the house and senate for the last two years ... they vetoed all sorts of housing and regulations for the financial sector. So, we are in the current mess because of them. Nothing at all to do with Bush. I supported Hillary because I got to know her and trust her. The same for McCain. Obama I dont trust and dont know. So, stop acting like children and vote for who you trust and know. Voting strictly party is a dying fade in the USA.

Go McCain / Palin! (former Hillary supporter)

September 17, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  21. Independent Just Decided to Vote for Obama

So she is in effect endorsing the small-minded Sarah Palin.

What a super STAB in the back to Hillary Clinton!

September 17, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  22. Trasa, Texas

Elitist? Sounds like your the elitist with a husband called Sir Evelyn... Who cares, if that's how you feel, fine, but you don't need to announce it to the whole world, just wait until Nov 4 and vote for McBush. DNC needs to kick you off the team. Besides, most of America feels the same way about McCain, we don't trust him and he's the most elitist of them all.

September 17, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  23. no2bama

Good! Another vote for McCain / Palin!

September 17, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  24. tony

I feel exactly the same way.. I supported Obama early on but his poor judgement in choosing a VP caused me to look at him more closely.. I to will be supporting McCain!!

September 17, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  25. Brett

You people need to come up with an origional idea...McSame, McBush, McPain...all been beat to death.

First off, there are hundreds of reasons NOT to vote for NObama. First, he has NO executive experience and last time I checked, Palin is not running for President, yet =)
    Next, he has tons of skeletens in his closet (how did he get into Harvard? Look it up. A Muslum extremeist and a lawyer for the Black Panthers and MalcomX helped).
    He was in Congress for less time than Palin was Gov.
    He suggests "Change" yet picks a 36 year statue in Congress for a VP
    Has NEVER done anything to help the country, never authored a singel bill, voted over 130 time PRESENT. He is worthless.

I don't blame her for leaving, she has a little sense...more than you idiots. You complain about Bush, but who has the lowest ratings? Bush, or your Democratic Congress???

September 17, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |