September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. mogulus

Obama supporters still chithing about how Obama has a better shot of "uniting washington"?

you'd have to be either an idiot or Obama himself to actually believe that over McCain, who's taken heat from his own party so often in the past for voting his conscience.

If you knew McCain, you'd vote for him.
    if you actually knew Obama, he'd be a laughing stock.

September 17, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  2. Rife Madson

Of course, this is the case with millions of Clinton supporters.

Obama is in big trouble. Throughout the primary season, Obama consistently underperformed his pre election polling numbers.

I am amazed at how inept the Democrats are. Had you nominated Hillary, this election would have been a slam dunk.

In reality, with the exception of Dennis Kucinich, any other Democratic candidate who ran in the primary would have won this election easily.

But the Dems got hoodwinked by the charismatic snake oil salesman and nominated the one man who couldn't win the election that was tailor made for them.

Pathetic indeed.

Thanks again, Democrats!

-RM

September 17, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  3. McCain/Palin2008

Right on, Lynn!! More proof that the Obama empire has crumbled & is finished. I guarantee you Hillary is not crying over this, though - Palin vs. Clinton 2012 !!!

September 17, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  4. Rj

Wow! Is this the definition of EMOTIONAL?

September 17, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  5. Hillary 4 McCain/Palin

I am glad to hear this. As a Hillary supporter and lifelong democrat – I too will be voting for McCain, a Republican, for the first time in my life.

I am disgusted with the democratic party and their treatment of Hillary Clinton and of Obama for not choosing hillary as the VP and allowing the Republicans to have this historic opportunity.

McCain/Palin in 2008

Hillary Clintn in 2012

September 17, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  6. WHO CARES?

WHO CARES WHAT THIS WOMAN THINKS?

she's a hypocrite who probably is in denial that she's a racist.

September 17, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  7. Irony

She trusts John McCain over Obama? She is shallow and greedy. Her head is hollow, and made of cement!

September 17, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  8. MDWhite

Finally, a Dem who refuses to get rug burn on her/his knees from kissing Obama's rear end. "Who needs her!!!," writes Trish of NC. Well, apparently Hillary Clinton did...you remember Hillary, don't you, Trish ? BTW: Has The High & Holy Anointed One ever fully explained why he chose Joe "Mr. Eloquence" Biden over Clinton as his VP running mate ? I'd love to hear somebody ask him that question without a teleprompter around, or, better, yet, with a teleprompter that malfunctions in mid-sentence.

September 17, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  9. now thats irony

You see politicians don't create jobs – the American people do. Politicians do take other peoples money – killing jobs. You see beside "common good" items like defense and some infrastructure – money is used less efficiently moves slower and kills wealth in government. Its a fact proven thought all history without fail.

Gas prices high in Alaska? They've always been higher because the economies of scale dont allow the local refining power. Alaskans bnefit by getting back payments for their oil (whick Palin negotiated a huge increase in).

There's alot more but of course I'm going to bed – Ive got a business to run in the morning – not a govt job I can sleepwalk though.

Liberals= intolerant, ignorant, devoid of logic

September 17, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  10. Preston

Governor Palin enjoys a 80% approval rating with her AK constituents including many minorities, this is better than any other USA Governor. She is apparently doing a excellent job! Obama appears to be a Chameleon putting on the color he needs for a situation. Remember his "Good Friend" of 20 years, Pastor Wright? Obama "kicked him to the curb" when he was no longer convenient. With character like this, consider how he will be in Foreign Policy; Obama had the audacity to claim he did not know his "Good Friend" of 20 years was racist. Is Obama also blind and deaf? I want someone whom I can believe in and "walks their talk" like McCain/Palin;past,present, and future!

September 17, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  11. Liberal Whine

I love listening to you liberals whine about anyone who's not under Obama's spell.
    Hillary is now no good because she's not Obama's puppet.
    Palin no good because she's a repub.
    Blah blah blah

September 17, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  12. Steev

Forester sounds like a gal that had to make a difficult choice.

I really don't see much difference between HC or BO. But BO's snide treatment of HC during the Primaries and they way the Media has built his ego has convinced me that he does feel he's above others.

What sealed the point was BOs small town guns & religion comment. I just don't like folks that make such broad generalizations about people. That comment belittles & insults some 50 million between the coast people (a lot of those small town folks are Democrats).

The trip to Europe didn't help either.

September 17, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  13. Russell - in MO

Very Simple. If a member of the DNC doesn't trust Obama, why should I ?

September 17, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  14. Nick

Sounds like she came to her senses.

September 17, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  15. Independent in DC

She's obviously of very little substance. Voting against policies you support out of spite makes no logical since whatsoever. She's gonna be very disappointed come the morning of November 5th however because when it's all said and done, her endorsement means abosutely nothing LOL It's not like Obama's hurtin for the money she would've raised for him or like she has a legion of followers hanging on her every word. She's pretty much irrelevant. A half a day story at most LOL

September 17, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  16. Doc

She is smart enough to know that Obama/Biden will never fight the Democratic party for the good of America. They will (as their record shows) vote 99+% of the time with Pelosi/Reid. That is not change.

How about these facts?

Obama/Biden among worst Pork Barrel offenders in the Senate

Each year, The Council for Citizens Against Government Waste (CCAGW) tabulates its Congressional Ratings, evaluating how each member of Congress measures up on key tax and spending votes.

Scale: 100% Best Record - 0% Worst Record

McCain – (2007 Score): 100%, (Lifetime Score): 88%
    Obama – (2007 Score): 10%, (Lifetime Score): 18%
    Biden – (2007 Score): 0%, (Lifetime Score): 22%

September 17, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  17. John Thompson

Wow, a democrat that can think, NOW THAT IS NEWS!

September 17, 2008 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  18. i-n-d-e-p-e-n-d-e-n-t

┏┫ ┏┓ ┏┓ ┣┓    ┃┃
    ┗┫   ┃   ┣┛ ┏━━┻┃Obama/Biden 08!
     ┃ ┗━━━┛ ┃  ┣━━ ┃Vote4 REAL change
     ┗━━━┳━━━┛  ┣━━ ┃
     ┏━━▇▇▇━━━━━┻
    DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO STOP BUSH 3!
    _./'\._¸¸.•¤**¤•.¸.•¤**¤•..•¤. .
    *•. .•* *Obama/Biden o8!!
    /.•*•.\ •¤**¤•.,.•¤**¤•.,.•¤**¤
    Hurry! Register at voteforchange. com

September 17, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  19. JC

She is the one with back bone. Country before partisan.

September 17, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  20. Dave

This is America... people vote their own choices... I admire this person for bucking party lines and voting for the best candidate. I too am energized by the Republican ticket and have decided to cast my vote contrary to what the pundits demand. If the Democrats were as eager to investigate the failure of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as they are to criticize the Republicans and try to hang every thing that goes wrong on Bush in hopes of splitting voters into opposing groups then perhaps I would reconsider. But I am not holding my breath. There are far too many "D" party loyalists who looted the bank to let that happen!

My comment for Pelosi: Drill Babby Drill... you lost me when you put your party and your stubborn beliefs ahead of your constituents.

September 17, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  21. Fake Forester

Either Lynn Forester is a republican by nature, or she don't like strong black men who has the audacity to run for president of the United States. For her to endorse McCain is about the fakest thing I have ever seen anyone do.

September 17, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  22. EMC

Hey irony, governments create very few jobs. It is private business that creates the jobs in this country. But I guess that would change if obama bin biden was elected? It is the failed policies of the democrats and the environmental whacks that have ruined this country.

September 17, 2008 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  23. manhandler

I agree. I'm a liberal independent who supported Hillary during the primary. I'm angry at the Dems. for forcing Obama on us. The Democratic leadership of Reid, Pelosi and Dean ought to lose their jobs big time after Obama loses this election. I'm now for McCain. He is NOT Bush, he's the only that seems to realize that the real problem is the outside money in politics and that's the only way anything is ever gonna change. i feel just like she does about Obama. I don't like him!!!

September 17, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  24. mascmen7

It does not matter who win Prez race as David Rockefeller and Rothschilds will order whoever wins to do their will. That is the dirty secret noone talks about for fear of being punished.

September 17, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  25. Sam

I'm sorry... if your name is Lynn Forester de Rothschild, then you don't get to call ANYONE an elitist.

September 17, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |