September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. canuck4barack

"Who is she calling an elitist? Then you have McCain with 100 million in the bank and 9 houses."
    Exactly what I was thinking. As for the reasoning that she doesn't like him because he is black, I think it has more to do with the fact she is one of those poor, unfortunates in that 5-10% group that Obama is targeting with increased taxes. It must be worrisome for the poor soul, when you consider her increase in taxes will far outweigh the average American's yearly salary!

September 17, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  2. Liberty is On Life Support

Haha... government just grew by $85B with the AIG Bailout. It does not really matter who wins in November, both sets of candidates will just make things worse for everybody. You want more government in your lives? You are gonna get it, and surely more than you ever wanted.

September 17, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  3. Independent conservative

You liberals crack me up! If Obama doesn't need her vote then I guess he doesn't need mine. I would, however, like to point out that he is in a dead heat with his opponent, so you all should be careful when writing people off. Undecided voters luke myself just might feel inclined to give our vote to someone who does need it. All of the hateful comments from liberals directed towards those who dont support Obama really need to stop. Obama really is like every other politician. Those colors have shown ever brighter ever since McCain has began closing in on his lead.

September 17, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  4. Katrina

The endorsement came from Lynn because she is a "thinking" democrat.

September 17, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  5. GM

Brava, Ms. Rothschild, for your courageous stand.

This not-so-prominent Clinton backer and lifelong Democrat will be joining you and countless other similarly placed Democrats in voting for, working toward the election of, and financially supporting the campaign of John McCain.

September 17, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  6. Independent in Florida

I think a significant number of Hillary supporters are leaning in that direction as well. Not the majority, but enough to tip the election for John McCain.

September 17, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  7. Craig Nazor

Our economy is tanking through bailouts of huge corporations (eight years of bad economic policy from Bush/Cheney, about which McCain has said that the fundamentals are sound), the last in a line of strong hurricanes has decimated Galviston and Houston (global climate change, which McCain wants to deal with by drill, drill, drill...), we are losing to the Taliban in Afgahnistan through poor diplomacy with Pakistan and by being bogged down in a war in Iraq (a war McCain thinks he can "win"), and now the wealthy, supposedly Democrat CEO of an international holding company and wife of a Knight of the British Kingdom is calling Obama an "elitist" and because of that is going to support McCain...

Talk about the "silly season". Does Lynn Forester de Rothschild think we are stupid just like McCain thinks we are stupid? She's no Democrat, just like he's no straight-talker. All these millionaires are the real elitists, and it's no surprise that they would support each other. But Obama/Biden much better represents the interests of the majority of the American people!

September 17, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  8. Mike

Obama does not need this, or any other woman's support. He is the best MAN for the job!

September 17, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  9. Ironic?

Brave move by a brave woman. This is news because it's an example of what's happening all over the country. Many of my customers (I'm in remodeling) have stated that they can't stand Obama or Biden, and they're jumping tickets. Also, Hillary's policies were way more conservative than Obama's. Apart from healthcare, she's very similar to McCain.

By the way "Hypocrasy Rules", learn how to spell. And how come every Republican that pulls himself/herself up by his/her bootstraps is a hillbilly, and every Democrat that does so decides no one else can do it without government help? Oh, well. It probably doesn't matter much because if Obama violated the Logan act as per the NYPost, this election's over. McChange is on the way!

September 17, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  10. Obama is at teacher and Americans hate school

Wow, this lady owns a corporation and is married to a banker, and she has the nerve to not like Obama for being "elitist"? No, I'm positive that couldn't be the reason. That is silly coming from a woman who is educated and was rational until Hillary lost the primaries. I'm wondering if some evil person recently gave de Rothschild (a very elitist sounding name btw) and Fiorina both lobotomies that rendered them dumb. Fiorina won't stop babbling on about who could or couldn't run a corporation, and now this one is supporting a candidate based on the fact that she is afraid of black men. I hope that these two women don't reflect the general mindset of today's white businesswomen...

September 17, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  11. Barry's bus driver

"I don't know boss . . . this one's gonna be hard to throw under the bus"

September 17, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  12. D.A.A.

I would say he probably is an elitist.

HE MOST CERTAINLY NEVER GAVE ME A REASON TO TRUTH HIM.

untrustworthy

September 17, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  13. Truth Seeker

I'll trust the great Senater from Illinois when he offers:

- The date of his last illegal drug use
    - His willingness to submit to a drug test
    - An explanation of what took place in the limo with Larry Sinclair
    - Why he refuses to turn over his cell phone records from the night of his illegal drug used and homosexual sex

I'm waiting....

September 17, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  14. TX Lady

If I thought for even a minute that Obama really had the same ideas and plans as Sen. Clinton I might vote for him. When he first appeared on the scene I wanted to learn more about him, he seemed at first like the answer to this country's problem. Then I bought and read his books, listened to him when he gave speeches and watched as he mesmerized the American people. He's a phony, he can't do what he promises, the numbers don't add up. I do believe he would bring change, I don't think I would like the kind of change he offers. I work very hard for what I have, I don't want to give it to those who sit home and do nothing. I managed to put myself through college while working a full time job and raising 3 daughters as a single mom, I know what it is like on both sides of the fence. I don't believe people have a right to hand outs. Get off your butt and work for what you want. I donate every week to help the elderly and children, they can't do for themselves. I don't want to have to support the lazy too. When Obama made his choice for VP it only reinforced for me his inability to make good decisions. NO OBAMA, NO WAY!!
    TX Lady

September 17, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  15. Amapatria

Moving from the "dark side" to the light, good for you Lynn Forester! The are so many mindless automotons chanting "O-ba-ma O-ba-ma" these days it's refreshing to see someone who can think for themselves. To those who believe government should create jobs – it's our capitalist system and individual freedoms that should be creating jobs you socialist twits!

September 17, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  16. Johann Foo

Jobs are created by business people, not politicians. Granted it is the job of politicians to legislate for a conducive business environment but other than that, please leave the creation of jobs to business people. Corporations like Lehmans have HIGHLY paid mangers who did not do a good job. It is stupid to blame the politicians for the collapse of Lehmans.

September 17, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  17. Don Law

President Sarah Palin. It has a nice ring to it. Get used to it.

September 17, 2008 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  18. kagilly

Oh wow. If a Rothschild is voting for McCain, I am definitely voting for Obama.

September 17, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  19. Bryan, NC

"Can we afford four more years of Bush policies?"

Pitiful babies! You couldn't beat Bush when he was running, so now the current election has to be about him, just so you have a chance to beat him. Too bad, your boy, B. Hussein Obama is falling like a lead balloon and there's nothing you can do but continue to whine like the babies you are! I guess we have another 4 years of Pinko protesting to look foward to when McCain/Palin win this one too, right whiners?

September 17, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  20. Anonymous

Wow, she's a CEO, married to an international banker who's a "Sir," and spends her time jet-setting between New York and London. But it's the black man, son of an immigrant, raised by a single mom, one time on welfare, who just paid off his loans who's the elitist. What a crock.

September 17, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  21. Tman

Praise the lord! Now listen up the rest of you wavering Democrats, KEEP WALKING TOWARDS THE LIGHT!

September 17, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  22. NoTrust

There is a lot of reason to "not trust" Obama. He tried to keep more troops in Iraq for political gain.

September 17, 2008 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  23. Jim

I couldn't help comment on irony's comment that Palin did not create jobs in Alaska during her tenure as Governor. According to the reference given by Irony, The Alaska Labor Dept shows that unemployment in AK rose from about 6 to 6.5% in the last two years while the US average rose from 4.25 to 5.75% So in the last two years AK's unemployment rate rose 12.5% against the US average increase of 29%.
    To clarify AK's unemployment rate increase was less than 1/2 that of the US as a whole. That is a good thing.
    Irony shows how easy it is to misrepresent numbers and how much some people think the government is responsible for creating jobs. The difference between a communist government and a democratic one is in a communist society the government is responsible for creating jobs. We don't need a politburo to create jobs. We need a government that gets out of the way so that the people can create jobs. I have no need for an O-bwana. (Swahili for false smile, false words, false hope).

September 17, 2008 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  24. Go USA

I'm sorry for you Irony, another scared obama worshiper. The reality is obama is just another politician who will say whatever he has to. There is no change possible with this candidate. Just Demo talking points. Try to be a little opened minded and independent in your thinking, so you don't become bitter and angry.

September 17, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  25. H. Valdez, Hillsboro, Oregon

Yikes, looks like we all are jumping ship to McCain. I must say, I owe Hillary's Campaign and apology. It seemed like they were just complaining about the sexism by Obama's people, but wow, look what they are trying to do to Palin. Let's go McCain, and then see what Hillary wants to do in 2012.

September 17, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |