September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Obama Mama in Atlanta

And the definition of an elitist is? The foundation for not voting for someone is based upon policy or personal opinion? Is this justification to place someone on CNN, who cares about her personal opinion about Obama. The stock market is falling by 240 points and she wants to announce on national tv that she's going to cast her 1 vote for McConfused. Please spare me and inform us CNN on how America is going to get out of this financial mess!

September 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  2. Geraldine

I voted for Hillary too but I wil throw my support for Obama. You are not a true democrat if you support McCain. God love us if the republicans get in. You think you have it bad now hang on to your hat.

September 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  3. Pedro

She's married to a Rothschild, but Obama's the elitist?

September 16, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  4. Mackie

She hates Obama because he is black. These people were in it for what the Clintons can give them. Go support the dummies. Like Hillary said were you in it for me or the party...... Because Bam has an education he is elitist – if he earned his degree like Palin it would be there goes another black man who takes years and years and cannot even earn a straight college degree. Vote Obama.

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  5. Bill Skar

Why don't you just stay in London and stop voting here. Stupid reason.

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  6. Patty

She might as well stay on the Republican side, because she WILL NOT be welcomed back. What a misinformed person. It'd be one thing to sit quietly and brood over Obama's nomination, but to publicly endorse the opposing candidate is asinine at best. It's obvious that she's selfishly trying to keep her millions- what an elitist!

Please post CNN

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  7. Facts are facts

There are two kinds of people. People who believe in what they say they believe in, and people who are bitter and hold personal vendettas. The latter kind are the ones that ultimately vote the wrong leadership into office with disastrous results. All this proves is that Rothschild could care less what happens to this country, she just wants to see people she "doesn't like" fail.

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  8. Matt

I love it when people who "split their time between London and New York" call other people elitists. You have got to be kidding me.

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. Joe from Georgia

That will be just fine!

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  10. Ron

"This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

What exactly has McCain done to gain your trust? Spread lies and rumors for the past week?

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  11. Candice

I respect her decision not to like him becasue it's her given right but to call him an Elitist is low and uncalled for! Now is the time to put our personal dislikes against a person aside and look at the bigger picture. Can he usher us forward into a new era? The signs of a struggling economy is all around us. At the rate we're going we can't survive another year of this. I'm actually HAPPY she's letting the nation know she's not supporting Barack becasue we don't need people like her undermining our efforts. But don't worry becasue the nano-second she left 2 or more supporters have joined Barack and will TRULY support him through out the election.

Obama/Biden 08

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  12. Concidence?

Have you noticed how close "Obama-Biden" sounds to "Osama-bin-laden"? It's scary in more ways than one!

September 16, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  13. syl

The lady is exercisting her democratic right and the Obama supporters are using thier trademark disrespectful language.

September 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. Thed Weller

Big money supporting big money...not a surprise. At least she's voting in her own best interest:-)!

September 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. The Conservative

As a progressive american woman, here's what I'd tell the wife of Sir Evelyn Rothschild:

"Are an american? If it's black men you do not like, then I would tell you that this one is not completely black. His mother was white just like you. Are you a mother? Do you support women's rights and dignity? If you do, then you are a bigot who does not belong in this civilized day and age. Your likes should be in nursing homes waiting for pollsters to call.

Obama is a handsome and patritic America."

September 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  16. vote4Obama

Obama will win this without EL Rothchild.... She doesn't even know what an elitest is....

September 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  17. Sage

how funny is it for a "lady" who splits her living time between 2 continents calling a man whose mother raised him on food stamps, just payed off his student loans 4 years ago, worked as a community organizer for 10 thousand a year instead of taking is hard earned Harvard education to Wall st., an....elitist? i think this woman should give up her American citizenship and stay in London...she truly can not be taken seriously, i can see poor Hill now shaking her head saying "it's because of having people like Lynn Forester de Rothschild in my camp that things worked out the way they did."...elitist, thats so funny....

September 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  18. Hypocrasy Rules

What is there to not trust? I'm sure she has no problems with people who say "it depends on what the meaning of is, is?" Another Phonycrat who was into the cult of personality. What is there about McCain that is so trustworthy? How come any Republican who comes from a modest background and pulls themselves up by the bootstraps is an example of the greatness of this country and every Democrat who does it is an Elitist? Pityful....

September 16, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  19. Lisa

She must do what she feels is best for her...but...she obviously cared little to nothing for Hillary Clinton's policies. You also have to wonder at her real reason for just not liking Obama. I'm sure if he had done something to her, she would mention it. So, I have to question her reasons because he definitely is not elitist. I dare say she is more elite than he ever thought of been...plus she is endorsing a candidate who is definitely elite. I mean, who on earth has so many houses they can't count them? Not even most celebrities can relate to him in that respect.
    Although, i do get the thing about not liking someone. I despise Sarah Palin but it has everything to do with her policies. So, at least I have a reason.
    I think that she, like many others, are sore losers...and never have got over the fact that Obama beat Hillary...nor will they ever. Its really kind of sad if you think about it.

September 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  20. Darlene D

Never heard of her...who cares???

September 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  21. Amanda/PA

Was there any reason listed on why she didnt like him? Did she give examples of polices she dosent agree with? This is typical pattern that I see emerging. Im waiting for someone to be HONEST and have the nerve to say why they really dont like him. If its the color of his skin, then you should be "man" or "woman' enough to say it...lets not sugar coat this....

September 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  22. Patty, Big Bear, CA

Don't know her, never heard of her, have no respect for her...the people I know who say they will vote for McCain all have the same reason, "If Obama is elected my taxes will go up"....these people are all making over $250k annually and are looking out for themselves only.....neither these people or McCain have any interest in "putting America first"....

September 16, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  23. Carolyn

Who need her any way....Not a true Democratic anyway....

September 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  24. Fort Collins,Colorado

Can you imagine how her taxes are going to raise, if Obama gets elected? With McCain the rich get richer.....

September 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  25. plb

she is part of that top 1% that will have to finally start paying taxes. my concern is that she had access to the whole platform document...I wonder how mcpalin is paying her to provide them with a copy..they seem to be stealing all of obama stump lines.

September 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |