September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. S. Holt

Let her take her big money and vote for the McPalin ticket. Obviously, she was never a Hillary supporter. You don't have to wory about the economy, she jst have to shift her money around- over here, over there. We are just living from paycheck to paycheck, most don't even have a paycheck.

September 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  2. TyWebb

"I don't like him." – good answer! Idiot.

September 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  3. Slash

Yes, CNN, keep thinking that we don't see what you're doing-stirring the pot for ratings. Keep thinking we're that stupid and see what happens to you when the election is over.

September 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  4. blind

back-stabbah.

September 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  5. wm

I guess an X chromosome is more important to Lynn than the policies and direction of the country, or the competence of its leadership. Most supporters of Hillary, myself included, realize that it makes no sense to cut one's nose off to spite one's face. A vote for McCain/Palin is just that. A vote for Obama/Biden is the best way to move in the direction that Hillary would have taken us had she been the nominee.

September 16, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  6. Claire Zulkey

She thinks Obama's an elitist so she'll back the guy with nine thousand homes.

Women!

September 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  7. marisol123@earthlink.net

What a surpise! Your personal "feelings" are more important than facts. The economy is tanking and your candidate (McCain) has no intention of helping because he thinks everything is fine. Shame on you. How can you sleep at night? Oops, I forgot. You have no conscience, just a biased, vindictive agenda.

September 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  8. Cotta

"I don't like him" ?!?! Is this how we nominate the most powerful person in the free world? This is merely a disgruntled woman who doesn't believe in anything. She is a fool to think that by casting her vote for McPalin that she is going to 'stick it to Barack' and those disrespectful Democrats. What a tool. Her and Palin don't really care about women's rights. It is utterly disgraceful to push aside your beliefs and values to get back at-what, nothing? Please go.

September 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  9. Brad IL.

Nice call Lynn , I don't like him either. There is alot more of Hillary supporters feeling the same way. John and Sarah also get our vote. Thanks for the support and the Money

September 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  10. natashaintally

We will win without your vote or your money.
    Obama 08

September 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  11. Yep - She's a bust

Someone named Lynn Forester de Rothschild married to someone called Sir Evelyn de Rothschild has the nerve to call Barack Obama a elitist. What world do these people in. Sorry lady, us mere mortals with 9 to 6s don't buy it. Try a new line. You just us why you HATE Obama not why you like McCain. Is it becuase Obama couldn't be bought off with your money or is it becuase he's a Black Guy made good. I don't need a degree from Idaho to see this is a crock.

September 16, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  12. Alex

Endorse? Who is this person? Who cares...

September 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  13. Michael

You have got to be kidding. This lady is calling Obama an elitist and she is married to an International Banker, and has a house in London and New York. We are supposed to believe she is down and out, doesn't have a dime to her name. Please, this lady is a CEO of The Estee Lauder Companies, before that she was the President and CEO of FirstMark Holdings, Inc which owned and managed various telecommunications companies. She was Executive Vice President for Developement at Metromedia Telecommunications.

Please tell me who is the elitist here, please tell me who's the hypocrit here. Give me a break, this lady is an idiot, she is going for McCain because he will protect her fortunes, nothing more, nothing less. I do not believe this has anything to do with Obama, it is all about money. It is clear she didn't back Clinton on the issues, it has turned from supporting a friend for President to about her millions.

If she wants to insult Hillary Clinton like that then that is her problem, she is the one who has to answer to Hillary Clinton and I hope she gets her rich behind handed to her by Clinton.

September 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  14. Guwapo77

Because he is an elitest? No reason to trust him? While the McCain/Palin ticket can't even tell the truth about a bridge? So you trust even more? It is pretty obvious the issues aren't the cause of your decision making process.

September 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  15. Cindy

Wow... so personal. Hard to imagine why someone of her stature would call a guy like Obama, an elitist.

Oh well, it's her perogative... and life goes on...

September 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  16. Memnoch

it's because there is nothing in it for her anymore. she was probably expecting some "gratitude" from Hillary like Carly Fiorina is from McCain. However, that probably wasn't going to happen with Barack, so she figures she might get her 12 pieces of silver by switching sides. And yes, she is painting him as an "other."

September 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  17. Shannon WA.ST. Hillary Supporter

I guess she was in it for Hillary, sorry to be so blunt. But, if you look at what Mcain stands for and then Obama. I guess shes in it for herself and not the 18 million americans that liked Hillarys policys... Its a shame...
    On a lighter note she may be supporting another losing ticket. That would be ironic...

September 16, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  18. Mario fl

Wow she wants the McCain ticket. Watch out Palin your days are starting to get short,

September 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  19. Hillary Supporter

GO MCCAIN GO !!!!
    Even Joe Biden says Obama made a mistake picking him over Hillary!! He is an empty suit.

Hillary supporter
    MCCAIN / PALIN 08

September 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  20. Democrat Voting For McCain / Palin !!!

John McPain
    September 16th, 2008 10:15 pm ET

Posts : " Her main reason: "I don't like him." Is that because he is a man or black man?"

I'm A Life Long Democrat , And I Don't Believe Obama , Or trust Him !!!
    Not Because Hes Black ,. But . Because He is To " GREEN " . No Experience .

Democrat For John McCain / Sarah Palin 2008 !!!!!

September 16, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  21. Chris

Who cares? Palin endorsed Obama a couple of months ago. Anyone remember that video?

September 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  22. Robbi

Hysterical. "Lady" Rothschild whining about elite. Just hysterical.

September 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. Patricia

Lynn Rothchild – I am sure you and your husband has stolen everything that you have from honest hardworking people. Please take your Racist views and go back to London. Oh wait.... The People in London perfers to have Senator OBama in office.

September 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  24. B, New Jersey

Can the hypocrisy be any clearer?

September 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  25. welches, oregon

I don't know why you don't tell the truth CNN!!!

Regarding your A360 "factcheck" secgemt, McCain certainly DID say "I don't mind if we're in Iraq 50, 100 years.". I heard it with my own ears and so did much of America. It was only "later" that McCain defined what he meant, much like he's trying to tell us what his definition of "fundamentals of the economy."

Give me a break CNN. Now I'm pizzzed at YOU. What ? you trying to keep the fires stoked to mainain ratings? miserable.

September 16, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |