September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Bill

I haven't seen the statistics regarding those who refer to Obama as "elitist," but my suspicion is that they are 99% white. Anytime someone says he is elitist, I just substitute the word "black." Calling Obama elitist is just another way that America sweeps its deep-seated rascism under the carpet. I myself am a white male and I am appalled at the unacknowledged racism that is present in this presidential race. Why isn't McCain who doesn't know how many houses he has and whose father was the only reason he got into Annapolils referred to as "elitist"? Maybe because he's a white male?

September 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  2. JG from MA

Vote for Ideas, not people

September 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  3. michael s

nobody cares. you're obviously a flip-flopper yourself if you're willing to vote for COMPLETELY OPPOSITE policies. You just want to support a woman, no matter who she is.

Take one step forward for the women's movement.
    Enter Lynn Rothschild.
    Take three step backwards.

Yeah, Obama sure is an elisist. That coming from this person. I bet ole Lynn didn't have to pay off any student loans or eat off food stamps.

America has lost its ability to think rationally.

Rothschild: "I just don't like him (Obama)"

Hey, guess what....WE DON"T LIKE YOU!

September 16, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  4. Luc

This Lynn is simply a PATHETIC and vindicative hypocrite.
    I hope that Hillary (and the Democratic party) loses Lynn's address.

Probably, like McCain, Lynn does not know how many houses she owns and is mad that Obama dared to look for and receive the nomination for President of the United States of America.

Thanks God, we are in U.S.A.!

Go Obama/Biden!!!

September 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  5. Javid Radfar

It's good news for America. If a high profile Democrat is not willing to support Obama, why the people of this country should waste their vote on him? Go Lynn, go!

September 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  6. welches, oregon

she sold out. Literally.

September 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  7. msclguru

I'm sorry. Let me see if I have this straight....

A member of the ROTHSCHILD FAMILY is calling Obama an elitist????

A member of the Rothschild family is calling ANYONE ELSE UNDER THE SUN an elitist???

September 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  8. the 21st century

This decision is both a perfect example of why many voted for hillary..that is, she represents some kind of vessel for many women's failed emotional lives and a desire to return to politics as usual..Of course El Rothschild can afford anything so the real issues in this election are of no consequence to her or her family if she has one.

September 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  9. Vince in NC

The Irony of it all, the ultimate elitist, calling Obama an elitist!

September 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  10. kaydeedee, nashville

So, the CEO of a holding company with businesses around the world!! who's married to SIR Evelyn de Rothschild!! and lives half the time in England!! thinks barack Obama is ELITIST! That's one of the funniest, one of the stupidest, one of the most hypocritical things I've ever heard!

September 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  11. That right!!!

Finally a democrate with some sense!!!!!

September 16, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  12. Amy

I guess she didn't really listen to Hillary's convention speech. What a shame she can't agree and vote for the policies both Democratic candidates stood for. I guess she's showing the world that our political landscape is just like high school cliques.

September 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  13. Janice Il

No Mc Pain, Its not because of race, it's because of gender, She wanted a woman to be the president, you got a problem with that, It's not all about race, but it sure is with You, Look in the mirror.

September 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  14. YadaYadaYada

He is a Rotschdild and blames Obama for being an elitist. May be Obama should tax her more.

September 16, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  15. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

I guess the Annual DNC Potluck Dinner will have some tension. I guess she won't be on the Christmas Card list this year.

September 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  16. Bob-LA

And the Obama machine begins to fall apart

September 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  17. Trevor Guerlain

My hero. She knows what she likes and, especially, what she doesn't like: BO. Raise Millions for McCain!

McCain/Palin '08

September 16, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  18. Karl Rove

Everyone knows "elitist" is a code word among bigoted Repubs for "black". I know all those "elitist" troops that are protecting your butts are glad that they are securing your right to be a bigot!

September 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  19. Blue

Lynn who?

September 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  20. GJ

Madam, I know Democrats, and you Lynn Forester de Rothschild, are no Democrat. Don't even pretend you ever were.

September 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  21. Beth

If Ms. Forester is supporting McCain, then she obviously doesn't care much about Clinton and what she stands for. Clinton and McCain are in two different ballparks...and whether you like Obama or not, Clinton and Obama are very similar in their views and ideas.

Personally, I was a Clinton supporter while she was running...however, more than that, I am a Democrat. Obama has my full support because I want something better for this country. Ms. Forester must not feel that way, which is sad.

Obama/Biden '08...the right choice for country first!

September 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  22. Canta

Thank You.

McCain/Palin 08

September 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  23. No Hillary = No Obama

HOORAY! A Loyalist. However, I will still be writing in Hillary Clinton's name on my ballot and it DOES count. Clinton should be running against McCain and would have been had not the media conglomerates and their hired guns hijacked her nomination after she won New Hampshire. Obama is all smiles, all Bush Bashing, all pollyanna. He's a traitor – turning his back on Hillary. I hope he loses the election and we have a woman in the White House who isn't a spouse, even if it is Sarah Palin.

September 16, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  24. cecil

good bye!

September 16, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  25. obama/Biden

Who is it thats an elitist here ?
    They don't even know the meaning of this word just throwing it around thinking they are making points as to how smart they are .NOT
    Then what is she a rich witch ?Thats not quite the word I am searching for.
    If only reason she was fallowing Hillary was gender then she should fallow McWar /McPegler now she can listen to lies,send her kids/grandkids to War and join the liars.
    She will now be a Bush,Cheney,Graham,McBush ,Rove Hannity ,Rush the list goes on they don't know or care about the rest of the people just the millionairs.

September 16, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |