September 17th, 2008

Biden: McCain fell off his horse

Sen. Biden talked about the economy while campaigning in Ohio Wednesday.
Sen. Biden talked about the economy while campaigning in Ohio Wednesday.

MAUMEE, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden hammered John McCain on the economy at his first stop Wednesday in this battleground state, criticizing the Arizona senator for only now coming around to the idea of regulation needed to avert financial crises.

“All of a sudden it’s my goodness there’s greed on Wall Street, my goodness we need common sense regulation,” Biden said.

With polls showing Barack Obama has lost his lead in Ohio, Biden is embarking on a two-day bus tour of the state.

The Delaware senator told supporters at an outdoor rally that they have a choice between those who allow corporations and the wealthy to go "unfettered” and those who want “common sense rules” to protect transparency.

“Look, if John cares so much about this now, where was he a week ago?” Biden asked. “Where was he a month ago? Where was he 5 years ago? I’ll tell you where he was, he was bragging to the folks on Wall Street, to the executives who now he calls ‘greedy.’ He was bragging to them how we’re going to shred the regulation that fetters them, that ties them down.”

“So let’s take a look at John’s conversion here,” Biden later added, “Something happened on the road to Damascus, John fell off his horse but he got back up on the same horse.”

He went on to draw parallels with McCain’s health care plan, saying that there too McCain favors de-regulation that wouldn’t allow states to protect its residents from insurance companies.

“So John, you got back on the same horse, you continue to push a plan that’s designed to de-regulate the health insurance industry,” said Biden, asking the crowd to raise their hands if they trust insurance companies to take care of their needs.

“I got one person [who] raised their hand. I got also a bridge I got to sell you and guess what? It’s in Alaska and it goes to nowhere,” he said, echoing a line Obama has been using on the stump as well.

Filed under: Economy • Joe Biden • John McCain • Ohio
  1. Bullwinkle says no to Palin

Go Joe! Thanks for being a sensible VP!

If McCain fell off his horse he couldn't get back up. His "Life-Alert" better work- "Help me Sarah! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

"Sorry John....I would but I have a Moose Hunt to attend" Sarah says while putting on her lip-stick.

Obama-Biden 08

September 17, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. demwit

Errrrr Hey Joe, there is no bridge!

The term, "I have some land for sale in Florida", means there really is land, it's just under water 4 months out of the year. And that just doesn't mix and match with a non-existent bridge in Alaska. Even I know that.., you see now?

September 17, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  3. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Love how McSame is trying to peddle himself as an agent of "change" when he, his party and his minions like Phil "Mental Recession/Nation of Whiners" Gramm fought hard to deregulate the banks on Wall Street who are collapsing and draggin the economy down! NOT GOING TO WORK, GRAMPS! AND TAKE YOUR TROJAN MOOSE WITH YOU!

September 17, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. NO way NO MCshame

At least this discussion is better than Sarah's first questions....Rididculous to see Americans and Rupublicans celebrating first answer. I did that to my baby boy's first word. Wake up people what is she hidding when wont grant interviews.

September 17, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  5. East Coast Bum

Yup...tell it like it is brother!!

OBAMA/BIDEN

September 17, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  6. MW

Joe is telling it like it is. Anyone that believes McCain's flip flop view now, is ignorant. He will say anything to try to pick up a few votes. I was laughing at the article about wife Cindy complaining about being questioned on The View. I mean, how dare they ask questions to a candidate for President of the U.S. !!

September 17, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. Chuck

Two Words....

D E M O C R A T I C C O N G R E S S.

Where is the regulation of the lending industry?

Where is the regulation of the insurance industry?

Oh yeah! Lobbyist have kept any regulatory legislation from making out of ANY Democrat's office!!!

Joe Biden is a blow hard!!!

September 17, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  8. Joe ' Bama

I hate CNN. Everyday, I see the same hateful and disparaging posts from Republican operatives, but yet the never print my comments....back to the huffingtonpost.com.

September 17, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  9. Strong Economy

NOBAMA!!! is that best you bush loving morons can do?

McCain, Palin....McPAIN is going down. Watching team gramps / bimbo fizzle is pure entertainment.

September 17, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. Michael

Terry NJ, hummmmm Joe is a Good Guy, but Obama is not? Why, don't just say what you really mean?

You mention Biden, Clinton and Obama... All Democrats, who pretty much share the same Ideas as the others. They all agree on what needs to be done for this Country, just have different opinions n how to get it done.

So Biden and Clintn are right, but Obama is not???

He isn't right because he's not White.

September 17, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  11. Still for Hill but now ONLY for Hill

Bring back Hillary.

It is digusting how the Obamabots who trashed Hillary arenow blogging how great she is.

We Hillary supporters will NOT vote for the LEAST qualified candidate out there and his same old white man in washington side kick

September 17, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. Joe ' Bama

Yeah right. Waste time leaving a comment, so the republican moderator can post puma comments all day.

September 17, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. Marie

Go Joe! Thanks John McCain for taking away Government oversight of major financial institutions. You are showing your true colors. Flip-Flop; now you want us to look over their shoulders. It's too late now. The damage has been done. Anyone that votes for McCain/Palin is asking for four more years of our country headed in the wrong direction. And, I'm getting a little tired of the CELEBRITY Palin being on the front cover of every magazine; but not able to answer any question without rehearsal or being told exactly what to say.

September 17, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. Joe Z

lol Typical liberal, screaming and red-faced about issues he doesn't even understand. The democrats have no idea where they stand on any issues, their entire campaign is based on making everyone believe that McCain is Bush and that McCain is to blame for every problem in the world. I've never seen a more ridiculous campaign & they don't understand that it's not helping them, it's making the independent / uncertain voters swing to McCains side (seen the polls lately where the democrats are falling further & further behind?). Since this campaign started I've said that obama is his own worst enemy & will lose the election just by being himself. Now Biden may be obamas own worst enemy.

September 17, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  15. Bruce

I read about pools etc,,,I an 55 years old been registered to vote since I 18 and I have never been polled.
    I do find it interesting that if you look at the numbers of peopel who were pooled they do not in my opinion give a represensentative sample.
    Go Biden

September 17, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  16. Steve, New York, New York

How are McCain and "Church Lady" going to get us out of this recession ????
    Maybe they'll start another war. The Bomb Bomb Iran joke probably went over quite well with McCain's Neo-Con bosses – I'm sure the Neo-Cons are even more thrilled about having a new poodle (Palin) – one that's even more clueless and malleable than Bush #43.

September 17, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  17. dittohead with forty names

Rush Limbaugh says he has all the answers,hes my idol and savior.I believe everything he says because I cant think for myself.He says Joe Biden is a bad man so I will believe him.

September 17, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  18. mike

Jolly Old, you are clueless! It is your conservative party that deregulated and managed to reverse legislation that stemmed from the depression days, which would have prevented some of these problems. McCain's financial advisor Graham was responsible for pushing through a deregulation bill that has been catastrophic. This is not the fault of liberals, it is the fault of the present administration.
    They ignored the lessons of the past and forgot that greed is inherent in the system and. Some government safeguards must be in place or this is what happens. But then again, when government is in bed with the people who will benefit, what do you expect. Get your facts straight please.

September 17, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  19. GL, Bend, OR

Way to go JOE!

We live in a small world. I get that we need global economic interactions ... but for crying out loud, we've sold our Country!

Too much is outsourced, too many good people have had their jobs sent to other countries. The returning profit was to so FEW greedy folks that it was not enough to keep the economic ball rolling. Do they have no concience about what they have done?! If they did they would not give, and/or take, the huge pensions and just walk away.

It appears that we no longer have control over anything; financial, jobs, and consumer goods, as long as the money pours in to the right people, it's all been good .... NOT!!!

China sends us toys coated with date-rape drugs ... where is the response, let alone the OUTRAGE?! Toys with lead are still pouring in to the USA from China. WHY?

Too little is now MADE IN THE USA.

We need CHANGE. I vote for the ticket with a plan, and the intelligence to put together the team needed to begin the corrections we need ....

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

September 17, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. Sick of it all

Nothing but a lot of bitterness, nothing but a bunch of hatred from the Obamabots. I was on the fence about who to vote for but the Democrats have shown: they got nothin'. And they are Hypocrites. Sorry, I just can't vote for your guy because of the general mean-spiritedness of Democrats. So we will be stuck with McCain. And by the way, the emptyness of Obama is now plain for all but the blinded-by-bias to see. He is all about making promises that he has no plan to actually back up. You all can dish it out but you can't take it. You say anything and everything about McCain and Palin, but you respond to counter-attacks on Obama and Biden like a 3-year old having a fit.

September 17, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  21. M.Serafin

Bill,
    This goes 15 years back, so Obama have not really been a big part of the problem.
    And with a republican lead congress for a long time(until 2006) it is a little hard to get things true, even if we did not have bush on top..
    And McCain did not even think anything was wrong with the economy, until wall street crumbled..

September 17, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  22. Mark in VA

Where was Biden 5 years ago? He was in a Republican controlled Senate. On the other side of the building was a Repbulican controlled House. And down the road about a 1/2 mile was a Republican controlled white house.

Don't blame Biden and the Dems for this one. It's all on the policies of 2001-2007.

September 17, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. New Day

Go Joe!!!!!! Its going to be hard for McCain to get any traction over his lipstick on a pig-type of non-stories, now. Ur gonna have to get ur butt up to that podium and answer for the sins of ur party's past.

September 17, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  24. Bob Roberts

Eight is enough! just say no to John McSame. Americans can't afford another 4 years of DC Republicans fleecing our national treasury.

September 17, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. Michael in Houston

Sorry about being away so long folks, it's kinda of crazy here in Houston. Thanks for all of your prayers. Now to my comment: Joe is dead on and some people just can't handle the blunt truth. And that is why Obama chose him as his VP, someone who will not tell Obama what he want's to hear, but will tell him the truth. If Joe still has it in him to run in 2016, I will be voting for him, for sure.

September 17, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |