September 17th, 2008

Biden: McCain fell off his horse

Sen. Biden talked about the economy while campaigning in Ohio Wednesday.
Sen. Biden talked about the economy while campaigning in Ohio Wednesday.

MAUMEE, Ohio (CNN) – Joe Biden hammered John McCain on the economy at his first stop Wednesday in this battleground state, criticizing the Arizona senator for only now coming around to the idea of regulation needed to avert financial crises.

“All of a sudden it’s my goodness there’s greed on Wall Street, my goodness we need common sense regulation,” Biden said.

With polls showing Barack Obama has lost his lead in Ohio, Biden is embarking on a two-day bus tour of the state.

The Delaware senator told supporters at an outdoor rally that they have a choice between those who allow corporations and the wealthy to go "unfettered” and those who want “common sense rules” to protect transparency.

“Look, if John cares so much about this now, where was he a week ago?” Biden asked. “Where was he a month ago? Where was he 5 years ago? I’ll tell you where he was, he was bragging to the folks on Wall Street, to the executives who now he calls ‘greedy.’ He was bragging to them how we’re going to shred the regulation that fetters them, that ties them down.”

“So let’s take a look at John’s conversion here,” Biden later added, “Something happened on the road to Damascus, John fell off his horse but he got back up on the same horse.”

He went on to draw parallels with McCain’s health care plan, saying that there too McCain favors de-regulation that wouldn’t allow states to protect its residents from insurance companies.

“So John, you got back on the same horse, you continue to push a plan that’s designed to de-regulate the health insurance industry,” said Biden, asking the crowd to raise their hands if they trust insurance companies to take care of their needs.

“I got one person [who] raised their hand. I got also a bridge I got to sell you and guess what? It’s in Alaska and it goes to nowhere,” he said, echoing a line Obama has been using on the stump as well.

Filed under: Economy • Joe Biden • John McCain • Ohio
  1. Nom Deplume

to "I love my country"

I question which country it is. Venezuela?

Citing MSNBC for fact is like citing Fox News for liberal reasoning.

For all you Obamanots out there, why can't you just come out and admit you are socialists? It's all right, you even have friends in Congress.

September 17, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. ltd1974- Ohio for Obama

Yes! The McShame and Liarsarah are on the brink of being exposed.

Ohio is for Obama,

BTW my cell phone has not ring to be survyed.

September 17, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Natalie, Penn State

By the way, President Bush is missing in action. Where the hell is he? Why isn't he campaigning with the other liar, McPain?

Republicans are insane if they think we're giving the country back to people who ran it in the ground.

Obama/Biden 08

The polls rely on landlines, and young people (with cell phones) will vote for Obama/Biden.

September 17, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Grace Needed

He CAN change Washington without letting Washington change
    him! (from Sen. Obama's intro. for Biden) Senator Biden you've gained my respect just like you earned the respect of your constituents by showing honesty and integrity and thoughtful reflection when making decisions. Everytime I hear you speak or learn more about you, it just convinces me more of the wisdom of Senator Obama's selection of you. I am so sorry your friend John has fallen off the horse. He will be held accountable some day in this world or the next.

September 17, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  5. HELP!!

Go Biden!!!

we need YOUand OBAMA to get out of this out of control crazy situation. The RACE is the factor that you guys' struggle as much as nobody wants to admit and if GOP wins... by all means the rest of the world will try to go by without US and what US can offer to the world.... misery, lie, hypocricy....Please stop the downfall of America and these poor souls sucking into GOP ticket need your help!!

September 17, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  6. Chi4Obama

Hit em hard Joe.

If Most Americans would just focus on the issues (and not all of this other foolishness), then this election would not even be close.

McCain / Palin have no answers for the economy, healthcare, etc.

Americans wake up!

Democrats '08

September 17, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Nerds Unite

Spin this Obama supporters –

Carly Fiorina said that neither McCain, Palin, OBAMA, or BIDEN were qualified to run a major corporation.

Hillary Clinton said that OBAMA in not qualified to run the country.

Joe Biden said that OBAMA in not qualified to run the country.

Guess what … All 3 agree that OBAMA is not qualified.!!!

September 17, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  8. Hill is the best

I love HRC.

She and Palin are not the same people- NOT EVEN in the same party.

So why compare?

BUT.... HRC should have kept her commitment and not canceled her appearance JUST because of Palin.

I believe in bipartisanship on the issues. I thought that is what Obama promised.

September 17, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. Same old

Biden is more dead than McCain.

And Obama is less qualified than Palin

September 17, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. DJ Los Angeles

Yes you tell them Joe. That's 3 times and McCain has struck-out with being able to reasonate a sense of urgency about the economy. Twice on his own, and once by his top economic "advisor" who labelled Americans as whinners.

September 17, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  11. righteousbrother

GOOOOO JOE!

September 17, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. proud army and navy mom

A top campaign adviser said Fiorina will be punished for her candid opinions:

“Carly will now disappear,” this source said. “Senator McCain was furious.” Asked to define “disappear,” this source said, adding that she would be off TV for a while – but remain at the Republican National Committee and keep her role as head of the party’s joint fundraising committee with the McCain campaign.

Fiorina was booked for several TV interviews over the next few days, including one on CNN. Those interviews have been canceled.

September 17, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Lost sheep

The problem with this country is people only see Democrat or Republican and will exclusively support their party only till death do you part. All these comments say the same thing, story after story. Are you all that easily convinced there is no wrong in your own party?

September 17, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Washington insider

Biden is McPalin' and I'm McVoting.

September 17, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. si mwen te konen tou jou deye

i like this joe biden, that's what i'm talking about. i like the biblical comparison. mclame has no clue, lying can never get you far in life, soon or later it will catch you. senator mcclueless, your two weeks or fame is now over.

September 17, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  16. Foreign observer

Whoever believes that McCain, who is an American Ayatollah Khomeini will reform the country is probably off his mind. His reforms will move the country back to the past eight years.

September 17, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  17. Former Hillary supporter

Joe, compare to Palin you are so boring!!!! even your image make my dog yawns!!!!!

September 17, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  18. Washington insider

The Obama campaign has fallen off it's horse- or is that celebrity bandwagon?

September 17, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  19. Cheryl

Please, everyone, quit bashing me. You wanted an interview, I gave you one. I'm even taking a question or two from real live people today! So there! I can see freakin' Russia from my back porch and next week they're even going to let me meet some people from other countries. Ha, ha, laugh's on you liberal America! And about that little investigation, betcha nothing happens to me or my first dude. So there! I'll wave my guns and bible and the freakin' heck with all of you!

September 17, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I predict, if this election is perceived by Americans to be tampered with or stolen, we are headed for a Civil War. Let's pray this election is determined by the voters whether Obama or McCain wins and not end up being at war with one another. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

September 17, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  21. Wait, Joe WHO??

Oh, that's right, the guy who's been in the Senate for almost 4 decades. We want CHANGE! Senator Biden's lifetime in Congress combined with Obama's experience of campaigning for President for 19 months, how will that help us?

Forget Palin and Biden, in a matchup with McCain and Obama, I just can't vote for Obama.

McCain/Palin '08

September 17, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  22. Jorge

Johnny-Come-Lately McCain on regulation is like the fire chief who went around starting fires so that he could come along later and be the hero by putting them out.

September 17, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  23. Julie

John McCain is JUMPING off his de-regulatory horse, now that it's politically advantageous.

September 17, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  24. Sorry Joe

But you are off your "rocker". Just where have you been all this time Mr. Biden. Have you done anything lately while in the Senate? I know Obama has done squat, but you now have been around for years.

Obama will not fix this economy – he will put us deeper in the hole by taxing us to death. You just might get what you wish for people.

September 17, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  25. michael

Joe John wasn't on a horse when he fell. He just said he was. Oh probably didn't fall just said he did. Did not need to get up as he was in one of his sevey houses in the Mountains of Arizona counting the money he got from Keating back when they raded the savings and loan. Yep this man is a crusader and we can all trust him to be honest and do what he says. I think it was just a day ago he admitted he lies, but it is not his fault. I mean if Obam,a would just stand beside him on stage he would,t need to lie. I know all this is true because his campaign told me on his newest invention the blackberry.

September 17, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |