September 17th, 2008

NEW ADS: The economy continues to dominate the air wars

The economy continues to dominate the ad wars this week.
The economy continues to dominate the ad wars this week.

(CNN) - One day after Barack Obama released an ad hitting John McCain hard over economic policy and the Republican nominee unveiled a spot that promised Americans he would keep their jobs and savings safe, the candidates switched approaches entirely Wednesday.

Barack Obama speaks to voters directly in a new two-minute economy-focused ad that doesn’t mention the Arizona senator, while McCain himself addresses viewers in a spot calling his Democratic opponent all “talk and taxes.”

“In the past few weeks, Wall Street’s been rocked as banks closed and markets tumbled. But for many of you – the people I’ve met in town halls, backyards and diners across America – our troubled economy isn’t news,” says Obama in the new ad, debuting Wednesday nationally and in battleground states.

Watch: Obama's 'Plan for Change' ad

“The truth is that while you’ve been living up to your responsibilities, Washington has not. That’s why we need change. Real change. This is no ordinary time and it shouldn’t be an ordinary election,” he says, laying out the basics of his economic plan: middle-class tax breaks, energy strategy, greater regulation of Wall Street and lobbyists and an end to the war in Iraq.

While he doesn’t name McCain directly, Obama does make some indirect swipes, telling viewers, “much of this campaign has been consumed by petty attacks and distractions that have nothing to do with you or how we get America back on track,” and “bitter, partisan fights and outworn ideas of the left and the right won’t solve the problems we face today.”

McCain takes a harder edge in an ad that says he is the only candidate equipped to end the nation’s economic crisis. “You, the American workers, are the best in the world. But your economic security has been put at risk by the greed of Wall Street,” says McCain in the 30-second spot. “That’s unacceptable.

“My opponent’s only solutions are talk and taxes. I’ll reform Wall Street and fix Washington. I’ve taken on tougher guys than this before.”

Adds the announcer: “Change is coming. John McCain.”

The McCain campaign said the ad will air on national cable and broadcast television.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Economy • John McCain • Political ads
  1. Phil Newton in Murphy, Oregon

The McCain campaign has adopted the Karl Rove tactic of BIG LIE.

Lie loud and long and often.

Hope people swallow it.

I don't think we will. Not this time.

Enough.

September 17, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  2. katrina

How about "McCain lies about Obama's tax plan again" as a header? It's the truth. Isn't the truth something journalists commit to?

September 17, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  3. filp folp

McCain Shifts Opposition on Government Bailout of Insurance Giant

Asked whether he agreed with the government bailout of insurance giant American International Group on Wednesday's Good Morning America, Sen. John McCain answered ambiguously, in stark contrast to a Tuesday interview where he adamantly opposed it.

September 17, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  4. repeatables

am a 35 year old married stay at home mom of 2 toddlers that lives in Canada and we watch CNN from 4pm until 11pm every night. I’m not an American, I don’t get to vote, why am I doing this? Because we are pulling for you America, the world is watching and all of us except a few bad guys want too see a brighter future for the US. Not one person in Canada fears a medical problem whether it be an ear infection or cancer because of what it costs or worries if it is or isn’t covered by insurance. If I had to be the mom I am in the US and have these worries I’d be scared everyday and that thought sickens me that a country as wonderful as the US puts parents through this. That one issue alone would make me vote for Obama. Oh and by the way we laughed in shock when McCain said Bureaucrats would come between you and your doctor under a Universal Health Plan at his convention. That is a lie.

September 17, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  5. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Obama is a wind bag. McCain is a doer. McCain will help our country get back on her feet. Obama will drag us down.

By the way when Obama said something about lipstick on a pig was he thinking of his wife or some other barnyard animal? He is such a sexist. He bad mouths women and Mid Westerners. i think he is a jerk.

Hey Good People of America. Here is from a member of the DNC, What a smart intelligent woman. As she says,

“This isn't a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

I have to agree with her as well. I too am a former Hilliary backer, but I can never support Obama

He is risky and it would be a roll of the dice with our national security. And he will tax us until we don't have any money left

September 17, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  6. Cleo

MCain is a follower not a leader...heaven help us if he gets elected...He even stole Change from Obama...MCain is a politician from the past...the future belongs to Obama.

September 17, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  7. pat

Why is no one talking about Barack Obama's recent fund raiser, and how celebrity driven he is.?

September 17, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  8. Roberto

The entire economic meltdown is the fault of Bush & GOP's "Let business self regulate" mantra. They own it and it should be hammered into American brains that they screwed up big time. Now they keep tap dancing around saying that the biggest meltdown since the depression is just a bump in the road. BS!!!

September 17, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  9. Patrick

McCain and Palin both say that they are going to get the American economy back on it's feet, but they fail to tell me how. Though, I may not agree with everything that Obama says he is going to do for the economy, at least I know what he plans on doing. All McCain says is that he is going to cut out wasteful spending in Washington. What exactly does that mean? What programs are you going to cut? All I ask is for McCain to completely lay out his plan.

September 17, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. Jen

All talk? Whose ad has a specific plan? Please give me your plan, and then I will consider the two side by side.
    On a side note, way to go Obama! You don't need to call him out by name or directly attack him. You are stronger than that. Show your ideas, show your substance. Those who are decided may not hear it, but those who truly care to make an informed decision will.

September 17, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. FactCheck

Does McCain actually have a real economic proposal? All he seems to do in his ads is to attack Obama saying that he'd raises taxes (absolutely false), or talk about how he plans to reform Washington (start with your own campaign here, Senator). How about something concrete, like maybe some of the plans that Obama is putting forward in his ads. Or is this election "not about the issues" as your campaign claims.

September 17, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  12. Liz

I have a question to ask you american voters. We are in the superbowl and its now 10 secs to go and 20 yards from a touchdown. We have an experienced quarterback and a rookie quarterback...which one do we use? Do we use the the experienced quarterback who knows the game plays or do we use the rookie who has never thrown or run a touchdown. I imagine we will go with experience because we know that he knows what he is doing because he has brought us to the superbowl with his excellent plays. We cannot take that chance to bring in the rookie because this play is the most crucial play of the game and we need that person who has done it before to lead the way and win the game for us. Its the same in politics, we do not elect a rookie in the top official position of this country and expect the country to survive the turmoil that its going through. We americans do not think logically when we come to politics. Do we want to end up with our national security and economy in shambles because we want to make HISTORY by electing an inexperienced black candidate over an EXPERIENCED candidate. Come on you people, we cannot take that chance by missing that touchdown which would mean a win for us just because we want to make history. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LETS NOT MISS GETTING THAT BALL INTO THE END ZONE AND ELECT MCCAIN OVER OBAMA BECAUSE RIGHT NOW WE DO NEED THE EXPERIENCE OVER HISTORY.

Obama can try again in 4 years when he has experience under his belt. Lets not lose our country because we are trying to prove that we are not racist and elect a rookie candidate. We need to get that touchdown so we have to go with experience and get our economy and national security back on the right track.

September 17, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  13. Lynn:60 yr old Obama supporter

The media will like McCain's ad because they like to peddle red meat and the 30 minute sound bites. McCain offers nothing but words and too many of them are false and misleading,

McCain doesn't even know what his senate committee does or is lieing that his experience on the Commerce Committee gives him oversight over every part of the economy. It is in fact the Banking Committee that oversees credit, financial services and housing the very areas in crisis.

His running mate totes experience as a mayor. When she became mayor her town of 7 000 had no debt, when she left it was in debt for 22 million. A big economic difference considering during that time she hired a Washington lobbyist to secure 23 million dollars in earmarks.

This election is too important not to be informed!!

September 17, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  14. Mark

I will take Obama's fresh ideas and politics of inclusion over Sarah Palin's politics of cronyism and paranoia. Appointing kindergarten witout high schol friends with no education to $100,000 a year positions, dismissing government workers who don't agree with her right wing ideas, using personal e-mail accounts on State business to protect co-conspirators from public scrutiny, and hiring lawyers from Bush country (Texas) to quash bi-partisan investigations into her shady affairs sounds an awful lot like Cheney's MO. Now, voters will sweep Palin into national office where her dictatorial style will change American democracy beyond what Cheney managed to do.

Can you say "PALINISM" as the new word for the next 8 years? The only difference with Stalinism is that there is no Siberia in the US (although you can see Russia from Alaska). It is scary how easily swayed some people are by the culture of personality.

September 17, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  15. inuk of the north

Reid and Pelosi had nothing to do with this market meltdown.

They are not responsible for the billions in losses.

Neither are the other Democrats.

After all, you can't do anything in two just years. Especially if you have your head in the sand.

A do-nothing, see-nothing congress led by an empty suit is just what we need going into the future.

These people are like deer caught in the headlights.

September 17, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  16. Elizabeth NC

I must admit, I have watched both ads and even though Barack Obama's was more convincing, emotional and sincere, McStrongeconomy's wasn't too hallow like his previous ads.. Not that would get him anywhere because it is his previous 26yrs of support for the Republican agenda that has gotten us into this horrible financial crunch. No change here.

September 17, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  17. Michigan Voter

HOW in the world can McCain talk about Change???

I LOST all of my respect for Senator McCain,
    and after suffering himself in 2000 when GWB ran a very sleazy campaign against him based on all lies. It's very sad that he has sinked into the same level or even lower now.

McCain's motto:
    Forget about my dignity or credibility, as long as I get to be President.

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. Martin, AL

"Plan for Change" – This is an excellent ad. With all the chaos taking place in the media, it gives us a chance to hear a complete and clear message from Obama. No choppy sound bites to analyze and twist. He appears sincere and concerned about the state of our economy. He places blame where it should be placed – with Washington. He discusses his plan to help improve our current situation, giving several of his ideas. This is very convincing, and two minutes goes pretty fast since it's filled with substance. For me, it's a winner.

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  19. Chris

Can some one please explain to me where these polls are getting their data. I don't know of one person even considering voting for McCain/Palin and I am in the red state of Georgia.

I think these polling numbers are way off and that the media is going to be very suprised by the margin Obama wins by, both in electoral and popular votes.

September 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  20. Becky

I have zero faith John McCain could do anything to help fix our economy.

I used to respect John McCain, but I don't respect blantant liars. And his running mate would put women's rights back decades. McCain with his zero computer skills coupled with Palin's philosophies...what do they want it to be 1960 again? No thank you.

September 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  21. PalinLiesTooMuch

On your own words you said "economy is not my subject " old man how are you going to solve the problem this nation is facing if you do not know anything about the economy and think the fundamentals of our economy is strong.

September 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  22. Sue

NEWS FLASH! John McCain has been head of the Senate Commerce Committee for years. Got that? THE COMMERCE COMMITTEE.

HE has been uniquely positioned to take on the "greedy" business world he now claims he will reform. HIS longstanding policies got us into the current mess.

Oh, right. I forgot. We are supposed to ignore his extensive record and instead judge him by Karl Rove's clever campaign rhetoric . . .

September 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  23. Brina

McCain's ad doesn't even come close to Obama's. McCain is always "Johnny come lately".....all he does is follow Obama around and try to steal his lines.

September 17, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  24. Bruce

When is McCain going to tell us all HOW?
    His big idea is a commitee , seems like that is the typical washington answert to everything..
    McCain...More of the same
    Palin...just scary

In fact those my age ( 50's ) and older should remember that when we were growing up "maverick" was a TV show about Gamblers...

September 17, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  25. Cathy from Colorado

....and the specific plan of the Republican ticket is what????????

I,m still waiting.