September 17th, 2008

NEW ADS: The economy continues to dominate the air wars

The economy continues to dominate the ad wars this week.
The economy continues to dominate the ad wars this week.

(CNN) - One day after Barack Obama released an ad hitting John McCain hard over economic policy and the Republican nominee unveiled a spot that promised Americans he would keep their jobs and savings safe, the candidates switched approaches entirely Wednesday.

Barack Obama speaks to voters directly in a new two-minute economy-focused ad that doesn’t mention the Arizona senator, while McCain himself addresses viewers in a spot calling his Democratic opponent all “talk and taxes.”

“In the past few weeks, Wall Street’s been rocked as banks closed and markets tumbled. But for many of you – the people I’ve met in town halls, backyards and diners across America – our troubled economy isn’t news,” says Obama in the new ad, debuting Wednesday nationally and in battleground states.

Watch: Obama's 'Plan for Change' ad

“The truth is that while you’ve been living up to your responsibilities, Washington has not. That’s why we need change. Real change. This is no ordinary time and it shouldn’t be an ordinary election,” he says, laying out the basics of his economic plan: middle-class tax breaks, energy strategy, greater regulation of Wall Street and lobbyists and an end to the war in Iraq.

While he doesn’t name McCain directly, Obama does make some indirect swipes, telling viewers, “much of this campaign has been consumed by petty attacks and distractions that have nothing to do with you or how we get America back on track,” and “bitter, partisan fights and outworn ideas of the left and the right won’t solve the problems we face today.”

McCain takes a harder edge in an ad that says he is the only candidate equipped to end the nation’s economic crisis. “You, the American workers, are the best in the world. But your economic security has been put at risk by the greed of Wall Street,” says McCain in the 30-second spot. “That’s unacceptable.

“My opponent’s only solutions are talk and taxes. I’ll reform Wall Street and fix Washington. I’ve taken on tougher guys than this before.”

Adds the announcer: “Change is coming. John McCain.”

The McCain campaign said the ad will air on national cable and broadcast television.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Economy • John McCain • Political ads
  1. Lynn in Saint Louis, Missouri, of course

We need a GAME CHANGER because the experienced quarter back only knows the same old moves that all his team knows. The new guy on the block, you call a rookie, has learned from watching with a sharp eye, intelligence and creativity, and isn't one of GOOD OLE BOYS who stick together like glue. He has had successes the OLD FOOLS don't like and FEAR so they would far rather stay in what they know, even tho it isn't working, than come up with a new strategy that really address the majority of people and the majority of problems.

This country needs the new guy on the block who has one wise man at his side, and many more just waiting to turn the corner with them.

September 17, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  2. Diana Ewing NJ

Exactly what do you think will be left of our country in 4 or 8 years..???? Let's see.... McCain wants war with Russia, Iran and stay in Iraq....and how many bouts of cancer has he had to date??? and His VP Choice you know the Fiscal Conservative who left her little city in debt.. and who keeps talking about .... cutting taxes while in Alaska... you know the state that does not have state income or sales tax.. Tell me exactly again what we are going to have left... with McSame and Chaney with lipstick??

September 17, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  3. Nick

Liz is over the top. McCain is experienced in:
    - Defeating women's rights legislation for equal pay
    - In favoring DEREGULATION of the type of businesses that are putting our economy in trouble
    - giving huge tax breaks to people who make over $600K a year while almost nothing to the rest of us.
    - fighting wars that cost us a Trillion dollars and get us NO benefit

I know these sound crazy but do some research on CNN and find the truth!

That is experience we don't need.

September 17, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  4. rea

the only thing john mccain have experience in is lying and he john mccain have LOTS AND LOTS OF LYING EXPERIENCE SOMETHING WE DONOT WANT OUR COUNTRY BASE UPON IS LIES AND MORE LIES WE NEED THE KIND OF CHANGE OBAMA/BIDEN HAVE TO OFFER GOD BLESS AMERICA OBAMA/BIDEN 08

September 17, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  5. Evelyn Sierra

How is Mccain fix the economy if he doesn't understand it himself.... Wake up amercian people ,you need real cahnge...... fresh ideas for Washington.

September 17, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. William, from Cali!

No matter who is doing the talking, "talk is cheap"; at this stage of development we need "solutions that work"...........not more talk and just words!

September 17, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  7. NO way NO MCshame

To Liz
    I will ike to know what experince McShame has my superbowl gamer...
    Top McCain adviser yesterday said McCain cant run a corporation let alone run a country do you people really listen to him and have you consider what he said earlier this year about economy? let alone what he said 2 days ago about economy? Racism that is what the presidential race has come to exactly what McShame wanted. With all the EXECUTIVE AND MILITARY EXPERINCE BUSH HAD HE HAS PUSHED THE NATION TO THIS POINT. Do u really live in the country? Do you feel what i am feeling? I guess not you sre so much consumed by racism that all other things doesnt matter. I am sorry to be a fellow citizen with you and your kind. AMERICA PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH....FREE COUNTRY... WE WILL SEE IN THIS ELECTION

September 17, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  8. stephanie

i thought john mccain was in favor of deregulation. he did vote for the gramm leach act. and hasn't that been part of his whole campaign up until monday. the street was greedy because they were not held accountable.

September 17, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. NO way NO MCshame

To Liz
    I will Like to know what experince McShame has my superbowl gamer...

September 17, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  10. TexasVet

Matt,

Nice try but your team had it's chance and THEY BLEW IT! I'll take my chances on Obama. Maybe next time your guys won't be so greedy...well we can dream can't we?

Obama/ Biden 08

September 17, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Freedom Lovin Patriot

CREDIT CARD COMPANIES ARE NEXT!!!

It is the logical progression of credit failures.

All because Republican leadership failed to protect taxpayers from greed.

You'll see. Before the end of this year, maybe 1st quarter of next year.

How does it effect you?...

Your credit cards will be cancelled.
    OR
    Your credit line will be cut.
    AND
    You'll be forced to pay outstanding balance on your card.

September 17, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. John in Ohio

"Democrats for McCain" easy to repeat the talking points you get from the RNC, isn't it? You say you're "Democrats for McCain", I say that anybody can claim to be anyone on the internet.

September 17, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  13. Convicted felon who can't vote

I guess convicted felons don't have a voice in this country.

September 17, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  14. Lee

Liz, unfortunately your description of McCain as the man with experience is not descriptive of McCain the candidate. And while your football analogy sounded sincere you lost me when you threw in Obama's race. Clearly your perspective is driven by your blindness and overiding desire to not see a black man elected president. The mess we are in was caused by a man who, according to you and other Republicans' prescription of experience, had executive experience as governor. McCain has no vision for this country. He has no plans. He simply wants to be prsident. He is an intellectual dwarf (not to insult dwarfs) who cannot think on his feet and will say anything, anything, to get elected. You should be disappointed with the shameful way he has conducted his campaign. America deserves more than he can ever offer. If by some unfortunate twist McCain is elected you and your ilk, since you seem to claim you are interested in country first, should hold yourselves accountable for his failures and the plight of this country. If you ever thought Bush/Cheney was a nightmare wait for the debacle that will be McCain/Palin. God willing we will never have to experience that.

September 17, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. Seattle Voter

Liz, your foot ball analogy is good however, neither candidate is not qualified in my opinion. I respect John McCain for his bravery and his service for his country but he doesn't care about people. He doesn't know what it means to be poor (after all his wife is worth $100 million). In congress, sometimes he vote against his party just to get name recognition.

Last time I check the United States Constitution, no experience needed.

September 17, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. katiec

Everything is getting more shaky every day.
    I certainly am not qualified to suggest any soltuions
    but do know we have to begin action now.
    As usual, the republicans are a talk about it, do
    nothing party, proposing a "council" to study
    problems. Too bad they did not propose one
    before they got our country into mess it is in
    as would hav e delayed their destructive actions.
    What I do know, we and our country cannot
    survive anymore republican leadership.
    ENOUGH!!

September 17, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. carol

Do these McPalin supporters really have any sense of what is going on in this country.....Senator McCain is living in another world....fundamentals of this country are strong!!!! The whole country is falling down around our ears and you McPalin folks seem oblivious to it......it seems if MCPalin said jump off a cliff you all as sorry sheep would do so.
    Can you not for once "THINK" for yourselves and face the truth, Senator MCain and his party have been in charge of this diabolical mess for the past 8 years!!!!! COME ON!!!!!!!!!!
    So you think it's smart to vote them in again.......how dumb can you be!!

September 17, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. Freedom Lovin Patriot

18 MILLION PEOPLE VOTED FOR OBAMA to lead the country. NOT based on his experience but based on his VISION

September 17, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. An Ohio Democrat for McCain

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."

I saw this quotation on a comment today and it is absolutely what Obama is all about - TALK.

He has no record of accomplishment. He has no experience on the national stage. When he got to Washington, he was given a sub commmittee chairmanship on foreign relations involving Iraq and he did not even call a single meeting. He has spent over 50% of his time in the Senate running for President. He has voted 100% of the time (when he was there to vote) the party line. Regarding the Iraq war – he has voted 100% of the time in favor of the war and its funding (sorry speeches made before you are in the Senate do not count as votes against the war).

Here is what I know. I trust John McCain to keep us safe from terrorist and evil nations. I trust my family's safety in McCan's hands. I trust McCain will work for the good of all americans without regard to race, color or politics. I know BASED ON HIS TRACK RECORD that John McCain will reach across the aisle and work with Democrats on their important policy issues – He has done this already (just ask Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Joe Biden, or Hillary Clinto – allof whom he has worked with) I believe McCain when he says he will have democrats and Republicans in his cabinet. In short, I know what I get with John McCain and I am comfortable with that. All I get with Obama are words and a very uneasy feeling that he is over his head in all of this

I have decided that it is McCain in 2008 and Hillary in 2012 as Senator McCaini will likley only run 1 term

September 17, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  20. Michael

To Liz: Except in this case, the veteran is prone to throwing interceptions in the end zone, I'll take my chances with the rookie.

Yesterday I watched Obama's campaign stop in its entirety, as well as McCain/Palin's. Two things stood out to me, first is that Obama's was nearly twice the length of McCain and Palin put together. Obama offered details and specifics on what he wants to do, while all I heard from McCain/Palin is more vague references to change and reform that we keep hearing. No details, no specifics, nothing. Whether Obama's ideas are good or bad are open to interpretation, but at least he has them, and has thought them out. Whereas with McCain I keep getting "I will reform Washington" well, sir, how are you going to do this? "I'm going to reform Washington". That is not answering my question and the American people deserve to have their questions answered if they are to made a clear choice in who to vote for.

September 17, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  21. John in Ohio

Women who vote for McCain/Palin deserve to lose reproductive rights.

September 17, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  22. CitizenS

It is unbelievable that McCain will mouth the words he thinks the public wants to hear regardless of his track record proving the opposite and the uninformed, unread public actually believes him. This is why this country is in the state of disgrace it is in today. Wake up or be prepared for harder times than you have had in this generation if you vote for McSame.

September 17, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  23. Charles I Am

Liz, look at this way.
    We are in a hole, a familiar hole (S&L ,Keating 5) Do you want the man who dug the hole a second time? As for Superbowls Would you rather have Tom Brady in his first superbowl or Don Meridith? Experience is a teacher, true enough..but if you don't learn from the first mistake you made then why would I trust you after you made the same mistake again.
    Experience teaches the man who cuts his hand off by acting reckless not to be reckless with a chainsaw. I would not allow this man to teach me anything about chainsaws if he repeats the same mistake because he's a slow learner.

John McCain before Keating Scandal was for deregulation
    John McCain before latest scandal was for deregulation

How many times must you be hit in the head by a two by four by the same group before you realize that you are being hit in the head. For some of you it's too late...brain damage.

September 17, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. Freedom Lovin Patriot

18 MILLION PEOPLE VOTED FOR OBAMA to lead the country.

NOT based on his experience but based on his VISION

Sarah won't even meet with reporters on her plane...forget about even having a vision!

September 17, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  25. Brian

VOTE DEMOCRAT

November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama / Joe Biden

"Change We Can Believe In"

September 17, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |