September 17th, 2008

Obama camp steps up efforts to woo women

The Obama campaign is airing a new ad in several battleground states in an effort to reach out to women voters.

(CNN) – In another sign of how Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s VP nomination has changed the dynamics of the presidential race, the Obama campaign has rolled out a new ad as part of a larger effort to woo women voters.

The new ad, entitled “Burden,” focuses on the issue of equal pay and targets Sen. John McCain for not supporting legislation that would have made it easier for women to sue for pay discrimination. McCain called the law “too a great a burden on business,” a female announcer says during the 30-second ad that will air in 10 battleground states. “McCain explains away the wage gap by saying women just need more education and training,” the woman’s voice also says.

The proposed bill was a congressional reaction to a recent U.S. Supreme Court case, Ledbetter v. Goodyear, that made it more difficult for women to sue over unequal pay in certain circumstances. As part of the Obama campaign’s increased outreach efforts to women, Lilly Ledbetter, the woman at the center of the case, also endorsed Obama Wednesday. "There is only one candidate who has stood up for women like me. Who has consistently fought to help women who are working hard every day for our families and aren’t being paid fairly,” Ledbetter said in a statement released by the Obama campaign.

Led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, several Democratic women in the House of Representatives also held a press conference Wednesday to showcase their support for Obama. “These people who are saying that they’re not supporting Barack Obama, I suspect that many of them never were supporting Barack Obama and they’re just fronts,” Colorado Rep. Diana Degette, who formerly supported Sen. Hillary Clinton, said in response to a question about whether Clinton supporters will back Obama now that the Republican ticket has a woman on it.

The Obama campaign’s stepped up women’s outreach comes as Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter, announced that she is endorsing McCain and as Sen. Clinton announced she would not attend a pro-Israel rally after learning that Palin would also be at the event.

CNN/Opinion Research Corporation polling earlier this month indicated that a majority of white women supported McCain over Obama both before and after McCain’s selection of Palin. The survey also found that Palin is actually more popular with men than with women.

1. decided voter

With so much hate, the Democrats have shown lately, I am voting for McCain....thank you bloggers and media. you did great

September 17, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  2. Katrina

In my experience, women don't really vote with their tits, no matter what McCain believes. Women tend to be most interested in everyday hardcore issues: reproductive rights, tax relief, fuel prices. They've also become very environmentally conscious. And finally, men and women in the US tend to love the constitution, and Palin's staff just went ON RECORD saying that their loyalty to their boss trumps their loyalty to the constitution. It's the most frightening thing I've ever heard (though we've all become a bit numb to Palin's blatancy). Even the Bushies, who of course lived the principle, never owned up to it.

September 17, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  3. Sage

just because you put a bobble head, corrupt,lying woman (forgot incompetent) on your ticket does NOT mean you are for women or about change...John McCain has dismissed when using them only for pleasure, political gain, monetary stability and the but of jokes..."you hear the one about the woman that was raped by a monkey?"-John McCain. the McCain campaign IS run by the 169 LOBBYIST who have caused the mess in Wall st. and his top economic adviser Phil Gramm is the father of deregulation (the stocks are falling because of it), the fact that McCain picked a VP under investigation shows his bad judgment yet again, if he were really "country first" he would ask her to step down, instead he is using her so he is not as lonely T his town hall meetings (some would call that a pimp)...all McCain can do is lie and steal Obama's slogans...he follows well, like any good dog, but he can not lead

September 17, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  4. josephine

CNN: Why do you even allow comments to these ticker questions? They are obviously blasted all day long by professional Obama bloggers. It's such a joke reading them. If I say anything negative about Obama you don't print my comment. You are so blatantly in the bag for the "Chosen One" it is laughable. When are you going to report on anything negative about Obama? I would love to hear about his past, friends, how he paid for college and law school, what are his hobbies and why he changed his church after 20 years? How about how he has people who work for him tied to Freddie Mac problems? How about talked to the Iraqi foreign minister about now doing any troop reductions until he became President. Gosh NO! It's more fun to pick on Sarah Palin and deflect any real bad news about Obama. This guy is such a fraud, why are you withholding such important information to the American people? Smells real fishy to me,

September 17, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  5. Voice of Reason = Obama/Biden

I am woman of colour, but in this case I too am a WASP: Woman Against Sarah Palin.

September 17, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  6. Sue in MI

I cannot believe there is a woman in America who still believes that McCain, who picked Palin, no matter what the party line is, simply because she is female, will be a better leader for this country than Obama. Do you believe that had Obama chosen Hillary, McCain would have a woman on his ticket? Ha. This is the man who makes crude jokes about his wife in front of crowds. I hope Palin has a sense of humor, because I'm sure he'll crack some joke about her before long.
    Regardless, I cannot vote for two of the worst liars I have ever seen...they could give Bush and Cheney a run. Enough is enough is enough...No More, NO McCain No Palin No MORE LIES!

September 17, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  7. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

The only hate speak is coming from McCain supporters either openly now as McCain supporters or those that were pretending to be Obama and Hillary supporters and who were just trying to stir things up.

I'm a white woman, smack dab in the center of Hillary's demographic target, and I've always been an Obama supporter. Think Hillary is awesome, too. It was a close call but I've been an Obama supporter since Day 1. Everyone I know, male and female, is supporting Obama whether they were for Hillary before or not.

September 17, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  8. McCryptKeeper/Cruella 08

I love these Repugnantcan idiots and their ALL CAPS..

Yep tell the truth about McCrypt Keeper....

No Equal Pay

No Choice

September 17, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  9. inga

This is an oxy-moron??? McCain wooing women???? McCain and Palin are 180-degrees opposite from supporting women's issues.

McCain would need to put Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Bono, and Colbert on the payroll to even get women to look his way – And that is definitely not going to happen.

September 17, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  10. gerryluimes

The ongoing nasty vitriole,the unreal critiques and childish accusations against either of these candidates and their riunning mates is beginning to wear thin! Thank God for the occasional intelligent comments on these blogs.What does all this tell us about the fair-play minded citizen?
    Pray the election will be in sight sooner then later!
    May the best party win.............

September 17, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  11. Women = Men

Any company with any ethics or morals would pay equal wages for men and women performing the same job.

This isn't 1950.

September 17, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  12. Foreign observer

But Palin will treat the Russian bear as she is handling the moose ! Don´t worry, she sees them already from her homeplace.

September 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. Jack

The comments here from the obama GANG are really a
    DISGRACE!!
    Do you really think it is OK to hack into a political person's
    E-Mail???? Maybe we all need to take a look at they type "friends" obama seems to attract.

September 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. Republicans Regret the Palin Pick

She is not our pick and we will vote for Obama. We will not be insulted by McCain who has done nothing for womens rights!!!!

September 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. Sammy

I suppose perhaps men also look at Palin's image and give it more importance than women do. Of course on its surface that is sexist and sometimes get men fired from their jobs. But if it gives their candidate an advantage, her campaign is all for it. How is that for expediency?

September 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. JUAN C AR LOS

G O--–G O V E R N O R----P A L I N---G O --- ! ! ! ! !

O B A M A--–C A M P---I N ---O B V I O U S--–C A M P ---

Y O U' R E--–C H I E F---E X E C --–W HI L E--H E--–

W A S--–C O M M---O R G A N I Z E R

September 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. Ca gal on the left coast

Yeah, that old guy is sure gonna woo me. And check out his really attractive and honest running mate, Mrs. Fertility herself, on the trail, and defying the law already. Sure, I want some guy a couple feet from the grave, and his stand-in, an unknown quantity who apparently plays fast and loose with the rules and loads the deck for those who support her, taking over from the current lame duck. Just call me gullible.

September 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  18. NOT THIS TIME - NO MORE OF McSAME --- PLEASE!!!!

I love that acronym!... WASP.

I'm a WASP too!!!!

McCain has really made a HUGE mistake choosing THIS woman. She obviously is very mean-spirited, inhumane, vidictive and caniving. McCain needs to watch his OWN back.

WASP FOR OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN
    2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  19. Nonya

Who is John Galt?

September 17, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. NO-NO-NO

J O H N--M C C A I N --T H A N K S--O B A M A---B I D E N-

D N C --P E L O S I---R E I D ---F O R--–T HE I R-–L A CK-

O F --W I S D O M----H E ' L L---K E E P-–Y O U---I N---

M I N D---F OR --L O W---L E V E L-–G O V I E---J O B S

September 17, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. LOVE IT!!

WASP = Woman Against Sarah Palin!!! LOL!

I LOVE IT! I'm a woman and working mother of two. Can I join! I WANT TO JOIN!

September 17, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  22. Moderate and Balanced

A CNN poll finds that more men prefer Palin than women do. That is so laughable it's not even funny. I do not know ANY woman my age (44) who is not THRILLED that a real-life American woman who is not a bra-burner or Gloria Steinman type is going to make it to the White House. We are so excited...and the news media is just ignoring it. All they can do is trash her and talk negative...but you know what?That's going to backfire. Obama dissed Hilliary...the worst judgment so far and it will cost him this election.

September 17, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. S. Boatman

Mccain Will Loose Because His Voting Record Is Clearly Against Women! He Thinks Women Are Stupid But The Women Of This Country Will In Fact Prove Him Wrong!

September 17, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. BLA-BLA

S P E A K I N G

O F

O B A M A ' S

L A C K

O F

J U D G E M E N T

September 17, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. WHAT?

Gary nothing you said made sense.

September 17, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |