September 17th, 2008

Obama camp steps up efforts to woo women

The Obama campaign is airing a new ad in several battleground states in an effort to reach out to women voters.

(CNN) – In another sign of how Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s VP nomination has changed the dynamics of the presidential race, the Obama campaign has rolled out a new ad as part of a larger effort to woo women voters.

The new ad, entitled “Burden,” focuses on the issue of equal pay and targets Sen. John McCain for not supporting legislation that would have made it easier for women to sue for pay discrimination. McCain called the law “too a great a burden on business,” a female announcer says during the 30-second ad that will air in 10 battleground states. “McCain explains away the wage gap by saying women just need more education and training,” the woman’s voice also says.

The proposed bill was a congressional reaction to a recent U.S. Supreme Court case, Ledbetter v. Goodyear, that made it more difficult for women to sue over unequal pay in certain circumstances. As part of the Obama campaign’s increased outreach efforts to women, Lilly Ledbetter, the woman at the center of the case, also endorsed Obama Wednesday. "There is only one candidate who has stood up for women like me. Who has consistently fought to help women who are working hard every day for our families and aren’t being paid fairly,” Ledbetter said in a statement released by the Obama campaign.

Led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, several Democratic women in the House of Representatives also held a press conference Wednesday to showcase their support for Obama. “These people who are saying that they’re not supporting Barack Obama, I suspect that many of them never were supporting Barack Obama and they’re just fronts,” Colorado Rep. Diana Degette, who formerly supported Sen. Hillary Clinton, said in response to a question about whether Clinton supporters will back Obama now that the Republican ticket has a woman on it.

The Obama campaign’s stepped up women’s outreach comes as Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter, announced that she is endorsing McCain and as Sen. Clinton announced she would not attend a pro-Israel rally after learning that Palin would also be at the event.

CNN/Opinion Research Corporation polling earlier this month indicated that a majority of white women supported McCain over Obama both before and after McCain’s selection of Palin. The survey also found that Palin is actually more popular with men than with women.

1. the other jd

Patty, you are 100% a republican hack. So take your 25% out the door.

September 17, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  2. Joy

I am a middle-aged white woman, single mother, and Hillary supporter with a new OBAMA bumper sticker on my car. Any former HRC supporter that will now vote for McCain because he has a female running mate is clueless. It has nothing to do with party loyalty. Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton have nothing in common but basic anatomy. Any woman vindictive enough to vote for McCain because Hillary is not on the ticket is no different than the power-hungry war-mongers she is voting for.

September 17, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  3. Chris in CA

Griff, you're a moron.

September 17, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. Howard, San Diego

You know, I hear all this talk from the Dems. about "yes we can" and "McBush" etc. Did the Dems. forget about Leiberman jumping ship? Wasn't he running for office on the Dems. side of the ticket a few years ago? What about Lynn Forester de Rothschild? She made Hillary Clinton goo gobs of money, and now she will do the same for McCain. Not only that, but I'm sure she will bring some of her supporters as well. These Dems. know a winner when they see one. Yes, yes, yes, I know all about the Republicans that bash McCain, but they are still voting for him. Face it Dems., the dike is breaking and Obama and Biden don't have enough fingers to plug the holes. Answer this questions Dems., if your so convinced that McCain is just four more years of Bush, then why are the polls from all the battle ground states at a dead heat? Or do you intend to say that the rest of America is stupid? Oh wait, I'm sorry that is what you DO think, looking at these comments and how you bash everyone that does not agree with you.

McCain/Palin '08

September 17, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  5. Carmen

Why do people think Hillary would make a different. Let's be realize that if McCain knew he could win he wouldn't have pick slick willy Palin.

September 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  6. Tell It Like It Is

PELOSI is an unadulterated MILLIONAIRE and she acts like it. Continuously subverting any house legislation that may have a positive impact on the everyday American by wedging the enviroment into the picture.
    She pushed thru the minimum wage increase, except in American territories Pelosi owns a cannery operation in American Samoa.

She stands in defense of Ch. Rangels chairmanship of the House Ways and Means Committee,(this committee writes tax laws); though he has admitted tax evasion and failure to follow the laws in NY as it pertains to rent control property and approved usage.
    RESEARCH YOUR CANDIDATE< LEARN THEIR PRIORITIRES AND LOYALTIES

September 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  7. David, Silver Spring, MD

Sarah Palin is the Clarence Thomas of women.

September 17, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  8. ginger

Palin's staff refuses to testify in troopergate probe.

What another distraction from the REAL ISSUES facing Americans. What is wrong with these people. If you care our Country talk to these investigators and get it over with already.

September 17, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. wicth

Palin 2012 you cannot insults witches we have never done anything to you

September 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  10. deborah, WV

I worked the phones for Obama in West Virginia and I DID find some PUMAs out there. I was surprised as I had previously thought they were probably just Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos's zombies, but I found out they are real! I think the day is past when we had the luxury of slinging mud like spoiled children. WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ECONOMIC MELTDOWN, PEOPLE!!!!

Let's all work together to throw the rascals out!!!

Count me as one ex-Republician white woman for OBAMA!!!

September 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  11. sandee in Portland

The hacking of Palin's e-mail account was actually a good thing. It shows that she has been using a non-government account. Government accounts cannot be destroyed if the event there is something damaging in them, this account could be destroyed. Just goes to show you how dishonest she really is.

September 17, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  12. jt

keep coming they are not attacks ad but the truth

September 17, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  13. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

77% of Obama's ads are negative

What a dirt ball. And a wind bag

This is outrageous.

Obama is risky and a clear and present danger to our society.

September 17, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  14. Mccain is Bush

Good one Obama that is how you hit someone that is what I am talking about Now it is time to put one out About how he Skipped the Vote for the Biggest increment of Benefits For Our Soliders in 30 Years! obama keep going hip them Harder I am Sending 25 dollars Just For This Ad! Obama Biden 08 Yes We Can

September 17, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  15. Shirley

Chrissey,

I think you should listen to McSame when he used the word pig with lipstick when Hillary was in the race, was that sexist?
    You automatically think that Obama hacked her email, you are so wrong & pitiful. Maybe you should check your facts before you speak.

September 17, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  16. Sandy - PA

So let's see, if McCain wins, he will appoint 3-4 ultra-conservative Supreme Court justices to overturn Roe v Wade and make a constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion. And he will not make equal pay for equal work for women.

But yet you women posters here are saying "Hillary didn't win, so I'm voting for McCain??????

That is the most ridiculous thing I've even heard. You'll be forced into back-alley abortions and you'll be working for sub-standard pay, but you'll say "that's OK – because we taught those Democrats a lesson??"

Jeez.

September 17, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  17. Chris

I ' M-——G O I N G——-T O-—–T A L K——L I K E——T H IS—-–SO—--P E O P L E——-W I L L——–T H I N K—––I ' M—–-S M A R T!!!!!!!

September 17, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  18. McCrypt's Crypt

Even if you two morons actually believe your noise about the "fundamentals" were really employees, then what do you say to the 650,000 "fundamentals" that have lost their jobs since January?

Your only digging the hole deeper.

September 17, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  19. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

"The survey also found that Palin is actually more popular with men than with women...." What are they thinking with?

That's because they know her church keeps women out of the pulpit and submissive to their husbands ... and they've always wanted to date a cheerleader. Or maybe they like women with big guns?

Watch Palin whine about this ad being "unfair" ... that's all they have – lies and whines and flip-flops.

September 17, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  20. Steve

Does WASP have a men's auxiliary?

September 17, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  21. NV Woman

If you were a Hillary voter and now supporting McCain because of the way you think Obama and the DNC treated Hillary, please please keep it to yourself. I think you are doing a huge disservice to women. I know men and women who had reservations about voting a woman in as President because they think women are too emotional. With the economy as bad as it is to just say you're not voting for him because of the way he treated Hillary is bad for everyone. If you have to make up a reason, make it up. You are unfortunately portraying women as too emotional.

September 17, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  22. jr california

O B A M A——-I S——-S O——-M A C H O——-?——-?

——- ——- ——- ——- ——- ——- ——- ——-——-?

H A——-H A——-H A——-H A——-H A——-

G O O D——-O N E——-D O N——-R I C K L E S——-!

September 17, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  23. Pepou

I am a woman and I support Obama. I would have supported Hillary is she had won the primary. I will NEVER support a dimwit like Palin (sorry McPain) who shares nothing with me, not brains, not beauty (I am beautiful), only a chromosome. Enough said.

September 17, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  24. Tracey

It' official, I can now consider myself a "WASP" Thank-You! PUMA's, you are out of business!

September 17, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  25. WASP (Women Against Sarah Palin)

Let the truth be told.
    Sarah Palin is against all women are fighting for. She's from another planet. You can never have my vote.

Obama/Biden 08