September 17th, 2008

Obama camp steps up efforts to woo women

The Obama campaign is airing a new ad in several battleground states in an effort to reach out to women voters.

(CNN) – In another sign of how Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s VP nomination has changed the dynamics of the presidential race, the Obama campaign has rolled out a new ad as part of a larger effort to woo women voters.

The new ad, entitled “Burden,” focuses on the issue of equal pay and targets Sen. John McCain for not supporting legislation that would have made it easier for women to sue for pay discrimination. McCain called the law “too a great a burden on business,” a female announcer says during the 30-second ad that will air in 10 battleground states. “McCain explains away the wage gap by saying women just need more education and training,” the woman’s voice also says.

The proposed bill was a congressional reaction to a recent U.S. Supreme Court case, Ledbetter v. Goodyear, that made it more difficult for women to sue over unequal pay in certain circumstances. As part of the Obama campaign’s increased outreach efforts to women, Lilly Ledbetter, the woman at the center of the case, also endorsed Obama Wednesday. "There is only one candidate who has stood up for women like me. Who has consistently fought to help women who are working hard every day for our families and aren’t being paid fairly,” Ledbetter said in a statement released by the Obama campaign.

Led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, several Democratic women in the House of Representatives also held a press conference Wednesday to showcase their support for Obama. “These people who are saying that they’re not supporting Barack Obama, I suspect that many of them never were supporting Barack Obama and they’re just fronts,” Colorado Rep. Diana Degette, who formerly supported Sen. Hillary Clinton, said in response to a question about whether Clinton supporters will back Obama now that the Republican ticket has a woman on it.

The Obama campaign’s stepped up women’s outreach comes as Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter, announced that she is endorsing McCain and as Sen. Clinton announced she would not attend a pro-Israel rally after learning that Palin would also be at the event.

CNN/Opinion Research Corporation polling earlier this month indicated that a majority of white women supported McCain over Obama both before and after McCain’s selection of Palin. The survey also found that Palin is actually more popular with men than with women.

1. virginia

I want more of real issues and less slamming. I could say a lot of negative things about the Republican candidates, but I would rather concentrate on real issues.
    At least Obama can thnk on his feet.

September 17, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  2. No Way No How

Moderate and balanced-speak for yourself. I know plenty of women
    who are not going to vote for a candidate just because she has a uterus. Palin is nothing more than more of the same, she is Dick Cheney with a beehive. She answers one question from the press and it makes headlines. I think the majority of intelligent women -bra burners or otherwise, will make their decision based on the candidates plan to get this country back on its feet. So, no "WE" are not "all so excited"
    Gary-forgot to take your meds today??

September 17, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  3. TRUTH

McCain has more women on his staff not to mention the VP candidate. Nice try Obama but women aren't as stupid as you think. She ( Palin ) is beating you with her honesty and straight forwardness and you can't stop it now, You blew your chance.

September 17, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  4. Barney

Man – I pulled some money out of stocks today – the higher McCains polls, the more my money is going into something more stable. Like Gold I can hide in MY BACK YARD.

September 17, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  5. Barney

Maverick = unpredictable and reckless. NOT WHAT THIS COUNTRY NEEDS. HE WILL BRING THE DEPRESSION.

Please let's take our country back for US – Obama/Biden '08

September 17, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  6. sandee in Portland

Why is everone against trying to woo the woman's vote. McCain did just that by selecting Palin as his VP (just to get the women's vote) and now his supporters are saying negative things about Obama trying to do the same thing?

September 17, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  7. bibek

I am so thrilled to see this ad.

Reveal all the truth Obama.

American people deserve the right to know the truth.

September 17, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  8. jdh

Mr. Uniter-Obama has done Jack to attract women! He certainly is not talking to me – Bye the way VOTING IS PERSONAL and since no public interest group is paying my rent or buying my car. I can vote or not vote for anyone I please. Obama, and Obama groupies have made a big mistake by not supporting Hillary Clinton as VP. I said I would vote for Hillary Clinton for President- or Vice President- So I will write in Hillary Clinton's name on the ballot for President of the United States. I can not with good conscious vote for anyone else. Clinton is the only sane one of the bunch.

September 17, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. Ron was a REP now a DEM

hey guys and gals we can return back time to the sixties with this VP pick.

Palin just a cheerleader with no game

Can't wait for the halt of the investigation of Troopergate

Obama / Biden 08

September 17, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  10. Ron was a REP now a DEM

Did I do that

September 17, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  11. Willy

my grand daughter who's 7 says Obama is scary. I believe her because children always tell the truth at her age.

September 17, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  12. TRUTH

Yes more women get degrees than men, but what degrees do they get? The largest percentage become teachers – one of the lowest paying occupations. What McCain is saying is that they (women) need to be encouraged to look outside the norm into other higher paying fields. Are you Dems really this dim that I have to continually explain this stuff to you ( even though cnn moderates me into oblivion) ??

September 17, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  13. William, from Cali!

Good luck!.............In the wooing, some women carry their vote within their "emotional baggage".........you might be charged with "purse snatching"!

September 17, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  14. Kris

PUMAs et al...
    "Hillary supporters" who vote for McCain are effectively slapping Hillary in the face with their vote. You do not honor Hillary by voting for her arch enemy. Admit it. People died to preserve the sanctity of your vote. Women suffragists sat in prisons and were tortured for that vote that you so casually toss about. Vote for the candidate that you support. Or vote against the candidate you don't support. Or, refrain from voting if you must. But please, voting FOR the candidate you OPPOSE just as a way to express your outrage is an abuse of the power that women died for so that you might have a voice. Find a better way to express your grief and outrage. Hillary weeps at the thought of you voting for McCain-Palin.

September 17, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  15. splashy

Actually, Michael, you are not completely right on this:

"John McCain (R) is for Social Security privatization. Barack Obama (D) is against it."

Obama has advisers that are FOR privatization of SS. If you REALLY don't want privatization, then you should vote for McKinney, the Green candidate. She is completely against it, no how, no way. She is also FOR universal health care, stopping the occupation of Iraq, and many other things that supposedly the Dems are for but for some strange reason NEVER get around to them.

Will Obama protect SS by not privatizing it? I don't know for sure, just as he voted for telecom immunity when he said he wouldn't, and he pays the women on his staff less than he does the men. I WISH I could feel he was trustworthy.

That being said, I KNOW that McCain is not for the things that matter to me.

Since I'm in a state that will go for McCain, I have the luxury of actually voting for the ISSUES this time, because the Dems just don't seem to grasp that those issues are important (could it be the corporatists have got them?).

September 17, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  16. No Hillary = No Obama

SAY WHAT??????????????? Woo women!!!!! Isn't this the same guy that smirked and said NOTHING when Hillary was getting skewered, skewed and screwed by the media , had her nomination hijacked by the sexist and demeaning comments made about her person, while stuffing Obama full of glitter and fool's gold?

And then with his smirky supporters, those talking Obama heads that CNN lined up night after night after night and still does gleefully said Hillary wasn't on his list for VP. And I'm supposed to vote for this jerk? He is a traitor, he turned his back on ALL women, he could have cared less. Hillary should tell him to take a flying leap and be done with trying to shove him down our throats. What gall this guy has.

September 17, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  17. Angi's Mom

I am a profession white female who is anti-war and pro-choice...and I choose Barack Obama.

September 17, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. Barney

My wife gave me permission to be a WASP (Women Against Sarah Palin). If you ladies will allow a male in your group.

Obama/Biden '08

September 17, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  19. Jerry

Another story filled with half-truths from the liberal media and NObama campaign. McCain is not against equal pay for women. The law as written would have opened up businesses to lawsuit for actions dating back to the early 90's. That would have caused more economic problems than we're facing now.

NObama...No Way...No How

September 17, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  20. j.williams, san diego

No community organizers=no union goons=no obama

September 17, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  21. Erika, KS

Oh, well, nice try Obama. But count me out. This is one Hillary supporter going to the other side. R v W is still in force after eight years of republican.Don't even try to blackmail me with that one. It's not going anywhere, You are not the best candidate with so little experience and zero accomplishment. This is one former dem, now independent voting for McCain and Palin. Bank on it, buddy. Smart women won't fall for you woes and lines.

September 17, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  22. Fort Collins, CO

W A S P' s, we need you now, your intelligence and independence have been insulted by this LUNATIC of a woman that is Sarah Palin. We're asking for you to believe in what you stand for, believe in what Hillary stands for, and believe in what Obama stands for, which includes equal pay for women. Strike down this ridiculous McCain campaign which is so full of incompetence, hatred and lies, and throw your full support behind the democratic party this year. We've had enough of Bush/Rove/McCain politics the last 8 years, please don't allow our country to be screwed over by another 4 with them.

September 17, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  23. voter

Josh

This excuses McCain for voting aganist equal pay for women, eliminating workforce discrimination and a woman's right to choose. McCain is no champion for women. His record does not match his actions. He is pandering to women and I am not falling for it.

September 17, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  24. sandee in Portland

I'm a big Hillary supporter and most likely always will be, but am very disappointed she will not attend this just because Palin will be there. Where's the gal that fought back? Where's the gal that's a strong believer in the democratic process. I can't believe she's afraid of Palin. What's going on?

September 17, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  25. Roslyn in Canada

To the bloggers who are spreading false rumours....

Get your facts straight... Obama did not hack into Sarah Palin's e-mail...so please stop spreading more lies !!!

September 17, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |