September 17th, 2008

Palin calls Obama's economy attacks 'unfair'

Gov. Palin discussed the economy Wednesday in her second television interview with a major national media outlet.

(CNN) - Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin said Wednesday it was unfair of Barack Obama to attack John McCain after the Arizona senator said the fundamentals of the economy remain strong hours after a major investment bank filed for bankruptcy protection.

“Well, it was an unfair attack on the verbiage that Senator McCain chose to use because the fundamentals, as he was having to explain afterwards, he means our workforce, he means the ingenuity of the American people. And of course, that is strong and that is the foundation of our economy," Palin said in an interview with Fox News, her second sit-down with a reporter since being named to the Republican presidential ticket nearly three weeks ago.

“Certainly it is a mess though, the economy is a mess," Palin also said. "And there have been abuses on Wall Street and that adversely effects Main Street."

Less than 12 hours after the announcements banking giant Lehman Brothers went bankrupt and Merrill Lynch was being sold, John McCain told a Florida crowd, "People are frightened by these events - our economy, I think, still, the fundamentals of our economy are strong."

The Obama campaign immediately pounced on the comment. McCain said later in the day the strength he was referring to was that of the "American worker."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Economy • John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Palin_Woman of Strength?

Palin_ QUIT WHINING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!

I am so sick of listening to Palin. She wants you to big it on, but when someone does, it is unfair...

YOU CAN NOT HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!

GO HOME AND SHUT UP!

September 17, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. Fundamental

Would someone one tell McCain that this fundamental is very very very worried about what will happen to my future and the future of my children, grandchildren and my aging parents in this faltering economy.
    Would some one just let him know.
    Sincerely,
    An American Fundamental

September 17, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  3. S. Boatman

What Is Unfair Is You Telling The Same Lies Day After Day!

September 17, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  4. Brian

Guess what the fundamentals of our economy

Will go into a tailspin, crash and burn an agonizing death of Obama gets elected and decides to raise taxes and raise the tax on capital gains.

Raise the tax on capital gains? Why not just drop a nuclear bomb on Wall street Obama, it should have the same effect!!!

September 17, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  5. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

an unfair attack? you have got be kidding me

September 17, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Bayou Joe

Sarah Palin will be the next president of the United States. Thank God, it's a Christian woman and not that pants wearing Hillary Clinton.
    Live with it liberals and suck it up for the next 8 years.

September 17, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  7. ANA

"The fundamentals of the economy are strong" – Jonh McCain amidst one of the biggest economic crisis.
    "The foundation of our economy is strong" -George Bush in 2003 amidst a near recession time.
    YOU CAN PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG...IT IS STILL A PIG!!!

September 17, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  8. Lynne - Seattle WA

Hey Citizen Watch...

My father is a Vietnam veteran, my brother and sister and I convinced my mother to take us to the airfield on the base were we lived in Hawaii so we could welcome home POWs at 4 am when I was about 7 yrs old, I have worked my entire 20+ yr career helping other Americans in need, helping people go back to school and gain new skills to get better paying jobs or new jobs after they had been laid off, I pay my taxes, I know the serious crises that face the average American....and I support Obama!

So, am I less invested in this country if I think Gov. Palins response that to Obama's take on McCain's statement about the economy was "unfair" is a little tooooooo much like something my sisters 5th grade students might say?

September 17, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  9. kyra

Palin keep giving Tina Fey more material. You're becoming a joke...

Obama/Biden 08!!!!

September 17, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  10. The Truth

Sarah Palin is the most grossly under qualified candidate I have ever seen, she makes Obama look like a seasoned veteran

September 17, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  11. s

How many people are out of jobs? Forclosures are up, and our housing market is in the toilet. Banks are closing left and right, Oh yeah some people are resorting to living in their cars, but the fundamentals are strong. Please send this women and McCain back to Alaska. If Sarah Palin were really smart, she would get rid of the scripts and speak the truth. Also how appropriate she would go on biased Fox news.

September 17, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  12. Enough, Lake Forest CA

Charlotte, who cares that Obama took vacations? John McCain doesn't work on WEEKENDS.

September 17, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  13. bob ferguson.

i think alot of ceo need to go in the big companys.look at the mess with all the wall street mess. i think obama will fix it all obama will not lie he is up front andwill tell you if he can fix it are not .mccain will keep us as we are now. ok we need it all on paper that is the way the usa. will know it will be fixed.but it on paper so we will see the 100% will be fixed.

September 17, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  14. Joseph, Los Angeles

She's ducking the law of supeonas and Obama is unfair?

Lady, are you kidding??!?!?!?! Feel free to call me sexist if it suits you. I hope the American people wake up from this nightmare you and McCain have put us in and NOT vote for your ticket. Your ticket is tainted!

September 17, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  15. Julie

How erudite of you, Sarah.

If you ever have to face Putin, I suppose you'll complain "that's not fair"?

September 17, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  16. maynard hopkins wi

stop analysising what these candidates say and quit twisting the facts.

thank god we only have under 50 days left of this.

September 17, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  17. Bayou Joe

Education (MBA) does not mean you are capable of making a judgment as to who is best for America. It just means that you had money or your parents had money to send you to school for another 3 years.

September 17, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  18. John McSame as Bush.

No, i think john meant what he said, to republicans, the economy is sound, every time an american workers gets put out of a job, they benefit, every time a company goes under, they benefit, every time we all get screwed over at the gas pump, they benefit, every time they start a war they benefit, every time womens right are set back 50 years they benefit. every time they abuse power and break they law to protect themselves, they benefit, everytime this country is attacked they benefit. For republicans, times couldnt be any better! thats why John Mcain wants to get into office, so he can continue the same policies for as long as he can, to carry the torch into your home and set it ablaze! he hired all the same ol' Bush buddies, now why the heck would you think he'd be any different!?

September 17, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  19. lawyerlady

Hey Charlotte, who cares if Obama took two vacations during the primaries, he has been campaigning for over 20 months! BTW, in her 18 months as governor, Palin has been at her home in Wasilla for over 300 NIGHTS!!!!! That is 10 of 18 months of her governorship that she was not in the Governor's mansion or in her office at the Alaskan Capitol!!! How about that? Per an article in the NY Times on Sunday.

September 17, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  20. Hilary B

I can't believe all the people who are actually buying into her garbage. I, for one, am sick of her whining and complaining. Grow up, Sarah.

September 17, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  21. Nancy TC

I agree with Governor Palin.

Stop the sound-bytes Obama. You are only lying to the American people when you use bytes from someone elses speech.

I have noticed that is why you stammer in your interviews at times, because you are always very careful with your words, so that no one can get a sound byte from you.

If you use sound bytes, which are not the full statement of the byte you used, then that only shows weakness. Your campaign staff is very immature. I have never seen so much hate come from one campaign in all of my life.

September 17, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  22. Sandy - PA

It was not unfair to attack "on the verbiage" John McCain used. McCain said, quote: "The fundamentals of our economy are strong". And less than a week later we have 2 major broker/dealers in crisis, and the Dow is down over 800 points inside of 3 days. People who have been paying attention knew the economy was weak.

But when you are a millionaire married to another millionaire, and you are so high and mighty and out of touch with working people that you don't even drive your own car, let alone pump your own gas, and you don't know what a gallon of gas costs, and you have even lost count of how many houses you own – then of course you think the economy is "strong."

Nothing unfair, sweetie. Its the truth. I though all you evangelicals had to tell the truth, because it is a sin to do otherwise. Hypocrites and liars.

September 17, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  23. Carmen

Palin don't know where her head is except McCain.

September 17, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  24. Bill

maybe sarah should spend her time providing a deposition on her own actions prior to attempting to smear others...I am so sick of this typical politician known as sarah palin

September 17, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  25. Brian

Obviously Palin's email account was compromised by one of the thousands of RABID TEXTING JUVENILES WHO CAN'T STAND THAT THE GREAT OBAMA'S
    GONNA LOSE