September 17th, 2008

Plouffe: The new Florida is...Florida

The Obama campaign has targeted 17 battleground states.
The Obama campaign has targeted 17 battleground states.

(CNN) - Other states may grab their 15 minutes of Electoral College fame, but Barack Obama’s campaign manager recorded a new six-minute Web video for the Democrat’s supporters that suggests the new Florida is… Florida.

In a Web video sent to supporters Wednesday, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe displayed an Electoral College map that included 17 battleground states, including new targets like Montana, North Carolina and Virginia – and Georgia, where the redeployment of staffers elsewhere in recent weeks had raised questions about the campaign’s determination to make a play for this traditionally red state.

Plouffe also highlighted registration numbers in Pennsylvania and Nevada - two major electoral prizes where new Democrats far outpace new Republicans, or where the GOP has actually dipped into negative registration numbers (meaning the party now has fewer members than it did when the year began.)

But the veteran campaign manager spent half the video talking about Florida, the state that cost Al Gore the White House in 2000, where some recent trends in the tight race had prompted concern among Democrats.

Related: Check out CNN's Electoral College map

Plouffe laid out the $39.3 million battle plan, including radio and television ads, infrastructure, direct mail, staff, and phonebanking. He said the message narrative was again shifting their way - “the debate is about change, it’s about the economy, these are two areas we think we can prevail in” - but the focus was the ground game, as Plouffe pointed to potential turnout and registration gains among Obama base voters in Florida. “We’re going to win this election block by block, precinct by precinct,” he said.

Watch the Situation Room and check the Political Ticker at 4 p.m. for the release of the latest CNN/Time Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation poll on the state of the race in Florida and four other key fall battlegrounds.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Annette, Washington, DC

Smart move to inform voters in Florida and remind them of the debacle from previous elections.

September 17, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  2. Save Florida voters

This is the smartest guy ever in american campaign history. Who manages a new guy and never bankrupt up to this point. You deserve all the credit David i dont care what any empty headed, liars will call you. You are the best. Please keep the fight on and let everyone know what the GOP in Florida are trying to do. Denying people who are loosing their homes to foreclosures the right to vote. They now see they are loosing florida and they came up with lists of names...Keep up the good work....FOR ALL AMERICANS PLS JOIN ME TO TELL THE GOP IN FLORIDA TO CANCEL THE LIST TO STOP VOTERS FROM VOTING!!! ITS THEIR RIGHT DONT TAKE IT AWAY FROM THEM!

September 17, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  3. Lisa T

I am working on it! Florida is in a financial mess and yet a lot of people want to keep electing those who either helped create it or support the economic policies of those who did! I will be going door-to-door and making many phone calls for Obama/Biden until the polls close on Nov. 4th. We have got to turn the state Blue for prosperity for all!

Lisa T. Lake Wales, Florida

September 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. sm

OBAMA NEVER WANTED THE VOTES IN FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN TO BE COUNTED.

THEY WERE IRRELEVANT TO THE DEMOCRATS.
    THE DNC SAID THEIR DELEGATES WOULD NOT BE SEATED.
    HILLARY APPOINTED OBAMA BY ACCLAMATION.

I BELIEVE FLORIDA WILL DUMP THE DEMOCRATS IN 2008.

September 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  5. John in Ohio

I like that Obama is fighting for North Dakota, Indiana, and Virginia, because even if he doesn't win there, he's forcing McCain to spend time and money there. And if he does win in those states, all the better. He's redefining the battleground states, and making it clear that he's not going to settle for safe Democrat state and a handful of battlegrounds, he's going to fight for every state and make sure everybody has a piece of his campaign.

September 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. John in Ohio

Daki: "It has to be racism or stupidity make your choice which one, either will hurt you in the end."

I think it's probably both.

September 17, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. RDS

I have a tough time believing these poll numbers coming out especially in states like FL, OH, VA, where the Obama campain has registered 300,000+ people in each state. The final poll will show on Nov. 4. Come on Dems...Lets take it all the way to the White House. Make sure all your friends, family, neighbors, enemies for all i care are registered by the deadlines for each state...Thanks!

September 17, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. East Coast Bum

Hey Michelle;
    I received one of those things in my mail the other day and I live in VA. I knew I should of kept it as it smelled of something bad on John McLies campagin. I threw it away as I saw what it was.

September 17, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. Lynn:60 yr old Obama supporter

Why isn't the media talking about the details Michelle has outlined? Is this going to be another rigged election by the party that brags about being part of the "greatest" democracy on eath.

Why does no other western democracy have these problems?

September 17, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. Emma

I am doing my part, getting family, friends and strangers registered to vote as a Democrat.

I am with you all the way! I have also been making my monthly contribution, this month I gave $500.; let's see what record he breaks in September!

Obama-Biden '08

September 17, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. Nelson Colorado Springs Co

Get out and vote Florida for Obama/Biden or who you want to. Go Obama/Biden

September 17, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  12. Former republican for OBAMA

YES WE CAN!!!

September 17, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  13. Wayne. Ca

I hate beeng lied too and if they are polititions then i call them crooks.

McCain sourrounds himself with lobbyists, these are crooks too.

Washington is full of crooks.

Foks we don't want any more crooks in the white house. McCain and Palin are just the same.

Obama / Biden 08

September 17, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. welches, oregon

Florida supposedly has a large number of older Americans. Under Obama's plan, seniors making less than $50,000 would pay NO income taxes.

September 17, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  15. Nina from orlando

I'm voting for Obama! It's time to clean the whitehouse from the last 8 years of Republican Slime!

September 17, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  16. Happy

Hey Obama say bye ,bye to Florida

September 17, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  17. bruja

Debby, you never have something to say – could you not simply shut up?

September 17, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  18. Elizabeth NC

People are suffering all over and it is so sad. I'm a nurse administrator at a big hospital in NC. I had an employee in my office one day sick as a dog, crying in pain. I tried to get her to the hospital emergency room for treatment but she refused because as a new employee her benefits hadn't kicked in yet and therefore would be responsible for the whole ER bill, so she would rather seek treatment elsewhere than the excellent and life saving treatment that would have been provided by the ER. Now, what does McBlackberryinventor have to say to this calamity other than his doggone LIES LIES LIES. People pls, come November vote wisely so I or any other manager would not have to go through this again

September 17, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  19. Nannie Bouroughs

Yes, the Dems will win Florida... Why not Georgia too?

The Dem Platform: You must vote for Oblama because he is black and entitled! IF you vote for anyone other than Oblama, you are a RACIST!

THANKS, I THINK I GET IT!

September 17, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  20. ran

CNN this a great story for you to follow up on. Find out who is sending out these so call ballots. It is not only deceitful but illegal. Think of all the good press you would get if you can break this story wide open and expose those involved.

Go get them CNN for us all.

September 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  21. Kandale

Good job David.
    We know that, we wil get it. I do not care about so called democrates.
    MsSAME and MC SHAME do not understand economic problems. We should elect someone, who will help America, despite his colour. all of us have RED BLOOD and white BRAIN.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008-2012

September 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  22. Chris

Can someone please tell me where these polls are getting their data.I am here in the red state of Georgia and would be hard pressed to find anyone voting for the McCain/Palin ticket

I think the media and pundits are going to be quite surprised by Obama's margin of victory in both popular and electoral votes.

September 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  23. Ron W., SC

That's really funny!

Hey Floridians, remember that these are the same clowns that fought tooth and nail to dis-enfranchise you in the democratic primary because it suited their interest at the time. Now all of the sudden they're courting you again.

I sincerely think that Plouffe is Karl Rove's long lost twin brother. They both have the same slimy tendencies.

September 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  24. TheShade

"palin scares me to death,"

Why? Obama with his huge government proposals is much scarier. Plus many of his "change" policies involve stupid decisions like repealing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

September 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  25. Billy

Wake up America.

McCain and Palin are acting just like Bush and Cheney.

September 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |