September 17th, 2008

Poll: McCain, Obama virtually tied in battleground states

A new poll out Wednesday shows a virtually tied race between Sens. McCain and Obama in key states.

Florida: Obama 48, McCain 48
Indiana: McCain 51, Obama 45
North Carolina: McCain 48, Obama 47
Ohio: Obama 49, McCain 47
Wisconsin: Obama 50, McCain 47

WASHINGTON (CNN) - New polls in five battleground states that could decide the presidency suggest the battle for the White House between Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama remains a dead heat.

The CNN/Time Magazine/Opinion Research Corp. polls, out Wednesday, indicate that the race for Florida, and its 27 electoral votes, is tied up.

Florida ultimately decided the 2000 election between then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush and then-Vice President Al Gore. Four years ago President Bush won the Sunshine State by 5 points over Sen. John Kerry.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. shelly

At least some Obama supporters are just negative, most Mccain supporters are just plain racist.

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. welcome

Palin = exloding cigar! There are only a few more puffs left.

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. amy grodin

As the election gets closer the numbers will continue to increase for Obama. I think the Palin choice is finally hitting the public. we don`t need another liar in the White House. She can`t seem as does McCain be able to tell the truth about almost anythink. This is wonderful news for our great nation. After eight terrible years that we are still suffering from ,people want a leader who care,thinking and cares about "We The People" GReat News. This is not 200 or 2004. We are smarter now. No more dirty tricks and lies.Amercia wins.

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Boston

Keep manipulating those numbers CNN, it won't save your buddy Obama in November.

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Seth in Jacksonville

I'm tired of the polls...they will go back and forth until November. We just need to make sure everyone who can vote does so...including all the students who overwhelmingly support Obama. The support from the 19-29 demographic is what Obama needs to overcome the disadvantage he faces over racism (which costs him 4-5 points).

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. PALIN

I can defend this country's national security, I once shooted a moose!

It was so impactful.

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Vic

McCain didn't get a bounce, he got a rocket. And thanks to Sarah Palin, he's gonna' stay there, so eat your heart out all you SP haters.

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Central Scruitinizer

I know this is off the subject...but i was so thrilled to see that Secret Sarah actually answered a whole question today!!!!! I feel as tho I have a whole newfound respect for her and its ok for her to run the country!!!!

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Dominic

I can't understand this. McCain=Bush. The economy is collapsing. The cost of living is shooting through the roof. And McCain would only dig us deeper.

September 17, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. hurriCAIN PALIN

lotta negative thoughts will be coming out of the dems because their

messiah aint leading

September 17, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. mitchell

lets settle it with a old-fashioned tug-of-war and a barroom brawl.

September 17, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. don

I am a former Republican that will be voting for the first time in many years for a Democrat to bring this country back to where we need to be and not for 4 more years of the same mess.

September 17, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Ex-PUMA for Obama

If McCain could fix this economy now, he would have done so over the past eight years. Where has he been in the last 26 years? Anybody know? He doesn't even know.

How can he claim to fix this economy when he was part of the problem a few years ago making back-door deals with Keating with Cindy being one of the partners? C'mon!

These polls will change.

September 17, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. John

Obama could loose all except Wisconson and still win the election. tough uphill climb for McWAr

September 17, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. Answers please

To Rudy NYC: You're asking the wrong questions. It's not
    How would you describe McCain's campaign over the past 3 months?
    How would you describe Obama's campaign over the past 3 months?

it's

How would you describe McCain's campaign over the past 2 years?
    How would you describe Obama's campaign over the past 2 years?

Obama has beaten longer odds and vanquished stronger foes. The GOP hasn't had a Hillary Clinton this time. She was a far stronger test than the old codger.

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. Tony

THERE WAS A HUGE ANIT-PALIN, YES! I SAID ANTI-PALIN RALLY, HELD IN ALASKA TODAY.

HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE SHOWED UP WTIH SIGNS, HUNDREDS MORE DRIVING BY HONKED THEIR HORNS AND SHOUTED THEIR SUPPORT.

THANK GOD THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE IN ALASKA WHO CAN THINK FOR THEMSELVES!

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. Clendon J.

C'mon people, if rally turnout translates into voter turnout then there is no way these polls are reflective the actual voter landscape. Obama has 10 to 1 turnout rate compared to McCain..everyone know this. Even if half of all people who turnout actual vote for the candidate McCain is still eclipsed. The right wing media which is most of the media in general will not tell you this.

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. Disgusted

McCain needs to go retire somewhere.

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. Ollie NC

I'm glad to see North Carolina is being considered a a "battleground" state. For a long time I've been hoping my home state would go blue, maybe this will be the year. Actually I hope all of the "battleground" states go blue, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. fixthebroken

The only poll that matters is Nov 4. And my hope Barack Obama wins this thing for the sake of our country. But, I will hold him accountable if he doesn't do what he promises - unlike what I have seen from Republicans and their supporters.

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. CAROLE SEATTLE

I USE TO RESPECT CNN'S COVERAGE BUT GAFF SHOWED HIS UNFAIR COVERAGE BY AGAIN SLANTING HIS QUESTIONS ...SHE SAID SHE FELT NONE OF THE FOUR HAD THE EXPERIENCE...WHY DID HE ONLY MENTION THE TWO REPUBLICANS...PLEASE TRY TO SHOW FAIRNESS AS I CAN WATCH FOX OR MSNBC IF I WANT TO WATCH REBUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT SLANTS...PLEASE GIVE US ONE NETWORK THAT PUTS COUNTRY FIRST AS MY JESUITS IN THE UNIVERSITY SAID BOTH SIDES OBJECTIVE...I HEARD AGAIN OBAMAS STORY OF WHAT IS WRONG BUT DIDN'T HEAR IF HE WOULD BAIL OUT AIG...IT'S NOT BIDEN FOR PRESIDENT I DON'T WANT ANOTHER CHENEY ..I WANT TO HEAR SOLUTIONS OF HIS RIGHT OR WRONG NO MORE PRESENTS...

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. Obama 08

Wow is NC on the brink of going Blue this year.

Thanks GW and McSame!

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. M.Serafin

Wohooo it is the issues McCain !!!!

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Lie-a-day Palin & Grampy Grumps Ain't Ready for Primetime

The road to the White House isn't through the nursing home or on the runway. Wake up, America!!!

September 17, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. Texas

Its looking up for Obama-Biden. These states but one should be in McCain column.

September 17, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |