September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. K Johnsn

This is insulting to fellow democrats abroad. As a UK resident, she does not nor will not represent my views in any shape or form. Hillary is a very well versed and strong person, but Obama is not nearly as elitist as Forester seems to comprehend. Also, being from a single parent home myself, I find it extremely disheartening that people like Forester jump to conclusions for people who push themselves beyond the limits of what others seem to place them in. In other words, work for it, earn it, live it and share it.

My vote and support goes to Obama, not McCain. not Palin.

September 17, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  2. Lee in LaGrange, Ga

She understands that "Change We Need" is really "Change We Will Regret".

September 17, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  3. Bosworth

Greg – I believe in free speech, but threatening armed insurrection may be pushing it a bit. Also, I think you need to get a little perspective and relax a bit. This is an important election, but that kind of nonsense does not add to legitimate debate.

September 17, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  4. dgczap@frontiernet.net

Obama picked up endorsement of 3 major women's groups.
    why didn't that make the front page? It's early yet, I'm waiting for
    the debates. Yes, this should be ahead by a landslide, but nobody
    has called me for polling? how bout you? I have faith in America,
    before it's all said and done, we will find out Palen is indeed a liar
    and a crook(which most of us admit already), and Obama will
    be in the whitehouse, and America will get back on track!

September 17, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  5. Dude

Obama is elitist, has friends who dish out 28500.0 for one dinner, idiots like many above do not get it.
    what will happen to economy with all the liberalism Obama proposes? Where the money will come from to finance his lofty liberalism? Obama will snooze on Wall street cudling the fat Bears. AMerica needs somebody with experience at the moment not some body who gives speeches and then vaccation at Hawai while common people on the road is suffering. He is enjoying $28500. dinner with his elitist froends while everyday person is worried about his job. Do you think these people paying so much money will not ask for favours later, so stupid to think Obama is a man for change. He is a nasty politician making fool of average American.
    But still a lot of idiots just blindly follow his rhetoric. His wife was more concerned with their kids back to school week rather than people who were killed at ground zero.
    So long America.

September 17, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  6. greg g.

Elitist...coming from a Rothschild who splits her time between London and New York? My brain is exploding.

September 17, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  7. republican voting for Obama

Is this lady crazy Mccain and Palin have been caught lying to the American people time and time again. I don't want more of the same failed policies that Bush brought us. I'm voting for Obama!

September 17, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  8. Andrew Symcox

Great move, by the Hillary supporter. In fact there are at least another 15 million such supporters, I am sure. Hillary rightly deserved to be the Nominee – but for one of the condtdates concealing his misdeeds and winning a couple of states. Hillary is defenitely the better qualified person and would have been a tougher challange.

One more surprise – I AM SURE – will be that Hillary will play a key role in McCain's administraion alongside Palin and ther are all going to work well.

Hurray, Republicans! Country First!

September 17, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  9. Oh BeeHave

Wait-somebody named "ROTHSCHILD" is calling someone else ELITIST...?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
    Since when did CNN get in2 comedy?!!!! This can't possibly be right! I'm dying over here & it aint even 9AM yet!

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  10. PhilT

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.” I think this says it all.

She sounds like one of "the real americans".

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  11. Denise

Buh Bye!!! And DON"T COME BACK!!!!

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  12. Babidol

The code word for elite – uppity. So Obama is not having a problem with any demograhic; certain people are having a problem with him. Certain is a code word.

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  13. HillBillie

Obama, and the DNC, did make a wopper of a mistake, Clinton would be winning NOW. Obama, we just don't know what he is representing certainly not Mainstream Clintonians.

2012 She'll be back ;-)

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  14. Raleigh

That woman is a rich racist. Period. Point blank!

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  15. Richard

What she MEANT to say:

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like uppity colored people like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns.

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  16. Liz in NW OHIO

How sad! She wasn't really for Clinton – just big business. And how about a straight conversation about big business! My husband's company is grooming their employees to be McCain supporters. Why would a company do that? Easy – even though they have had record profits they don't want to pay their fair share of the taxes! No jobs gained though. Isn't that the Republican way?

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  17. cdale

What does she know about me or anyone like me? She works all over the world, lives in several different countries and she is calling Obama an elitist?? What in the world is she thinking. Obama is not Joe Blow next door, but he is no John McCain either. You are the elitist if think you know better than all of us democrats and you are going to support McCain. You are a traitor to the rest us democrats Lynn Forester de Rothschild. I live is Arkansas where every fifth person I meet lives below the poverty line and you call yourself a democrat and you are throwing in with McCain. You know what this just seem like something else lady. Don't be a sore loser and thrown in with McCain back Obama and make the works a better place.

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  18. SB, MA

Well, duh Eric!! She is white nobility – she is born to be an elite. How dare a black man go to Harvard and give himself airs!!!

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  19. Matt

"Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world."

If her comments were not so disgustingly hypocritical, I would be laughing my arse off right now. How can a 20 million dollar a year person be calling another person... ELITIST?!?!?!?!?!

No wonder she is supporting McSame... they both have no clue how many houses they own, and they like to light their cigars with 100 dollar bills.

September 17, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  20. beevee

I hope Ms. Clinton could talk some sense into this brainless woman. Another Joe Lyingberman in the democratic party.

September 17, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  21. Kathleen

Bottom line everyone is.....she has a choice....and it doesn't necessarily have to be what yours is. I'm a life long Democrat and that doesn't mean I have to always vote Democrat. I vote the best candidate.....and frankly Obama "still" has not proved to me that he has what it takes to lead this great country.

September 17, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  22. I don't mean to be whining, but..

"Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York."

And she calls Obama an elitist???

September 17, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  23. Jonie

YES WE CAN!

KEEP OBAMA OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE!!!

AMERICA UNITE!!

VOTE FOR MCCAIN AND PALIN IF YOU WANT A FREE, PROSPEROUS AMERICA!!

September 17, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  24. sallie

Good riddance, Ms. Headline-grabber! Obviously, she was not interested in Hillary's policies or principles, but rather in riding her coattails to fame. Well good luck on the palin coattails of shame!

YOUR RACISM IS SHOWING, HON!!!

September 17, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  25. joes_fanclub

Elitist? Ha! Barack Obama isn't the one jet-setting between homes in New York and London. I love how many bitter Hilary supporters continue to play the part of the scorned woman, ready to 86 the Democratic ticket because they're candidate didn't win. This all in spite of the fact that John McCain and Sarah Palin would implement policies completely contrary to those of Hilary Clinton (and called for on the DNC platform that this idiot helped form.) What a childish mentality!

September 17, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62