September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Leslie

I guess she doesn't like the idea that she and some of her over the top friends may have to pay more tax. Of course, McCain won't hurt her pocketbook at all because he is just like her!!

She doesn't like Obama because he wants all people to lead decent lives not just the super wealthy elitists!!

September 17, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  2. gapeach

Why are my comments posted?

September 17, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  3. rita/ohio

CNN stick with the real issues. With what has happened on wall street this week, you report on some rich lady no one cares about. Tell us what obama, or McCain will do about this. I know, Obama has a plan, and spoke about it yesterday, and McSAME thinks we should appoint a commission to understand what happened. Having the republicans in office the last 8 years might give you a hint . Start doing your job, and report what is real for us.

September 17, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  4. Craig- Easton, PA

Obama is an elitist, coming from a Rothschild. That's a joke, right?

September 17, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  5. Harvey

I applaud your decision. Lets get McCain elected.

Harvey

September 17, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  6. Eli

Lynn Forester: Shame on you!

September 17, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  7. Rob L.

Obama earned his success. This lady fell on hers.

The Rothschilds are calling successful black men elitist?

Yea, right. She what's known as an idiot.

September 17, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  8. Wilfred

Wow a democrat with a brain.
    Welcome and bring your friends along for the ride.

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  9. Kayla W

Really?
    So we base our voting on how we 'feel' about a person, not on where they stand on an issue?
    Wow, This is my first election and I figured it took more then just how I feel about someone... forget about educating myself and doing research, i just feel like I don't like someone so I don't want to vote for them.
    What is this, HIGH SCHOOL!?

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  10. Give It Up McCain

Ironically this will only turn more voters away from McCain as they realize what is going on. Big money? Follow McCain. Narrow-minded? McCain's your man. Everyone else, Gobama.

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  11. Mike O

This is a cold, hard calculation on Hillary's behalf. McCain would likely only be a 4 year president, opening the field in 2012 for her to run again. If Obama was elected, uner any circumstances . it would be 8 years before she could run again. Expect more of this; I have long expected that the biggest Hillary supporters wowuld at least work in tthe background for John McCain because of this. Lynn decided to be upfront about it.

And yes, I would expect Hillary to be offered a McCain Cabinet position; but will turn it down to stay politically clear.

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  12. Ashely

I think my fellow Americans have said it all.

If Lynn wanted to support McCain because she believed in his policies well than that is her right. BUT to go from Clinton to McCain when they have different opinions on vital topics is AMAZING.

She is calling Obama an elitist..but she has homes in London and Washington. Sounds like elitist is code for doesn't know his place. I wonder if its because he is black or because he didn't back down from the Clinton's because it wasn't his turn.

Oh well....don't let hte door hit you on the way out Lynn! And when Obama wins in November....don't come back because you backed the wrong candidate!

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  13. D&D

It's her choice, and it doesn't change much in the whole picture anyway!

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  14. benwa

If he s elitist, man, she must be like GOD or something compared to him then. Plus, she'd back republicans instead of her own people (dems) just because she doesn t like him. She looks like a spoiled little girl who won t eat her green sucker because she wanted the red one... Pathetic.

Another comment, after 8 years of Bush, it is clear that he messed up everything, from economy to ecology going through international issues,... But yet, Half the american are still willing to vote for Bush (well McCain, just don t see the difference between one puppet and another one, they do what they are told anyway cos they don t get what s going on. Basically you end up voting for the one who pulls the strings). So why????? Do you really like to get hurt....????

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  15. Paul

Clearly an example of someone who didn't care about Hillary's policy positions, but only about who she was. Basically, an idiot.

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  16. Frank

Yawn.

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  17. An Independent

If she was supporting Sen. Clinton because of policies, then she certainly can't dislike Sen. Obama because of policies since they're largely the same. So I guess it must be something about him personally that she doesn't like. Since she seems to like McCain now, I guess it's not his gender. Must be his race. How very sad.

Just who is the elitist here? It sounds like she belongs with the Republicans anyway.

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  18. Scott L

Now Obama does not want to raise taxes if economy is doing bad.

Gee, I wonder why? Because RAISING TAXES HURTS THE ECONOMY.

He needs to explain this flip flop to the American people.

Vote McCain. Extend the tax cuts for ALL AMERICANS!

NO MORE TAXES!

September 17, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  19. mike

We welcome her to the winning team. By the way, oshama says he will cust taxes for 95 percent of Americans. BULL.... 95 percent of Americans do not pay taxes, only about 65 percent do. Now who is lying to who.

September 17, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  20. People make no sense

HiVelSword – ok. It is not racism, then why are you not voting for Obama? Please tell me why you are not voting for Obama? No personal attacks. Just explain to me what policy issues do you dislike about Obama and how will McCain's policy issues be better for you? Please give specifics that would help us claiming racism to understand that you are basing your decision intellectually.

I don't deal in what if's, so Colin Powell and David Palmer do not come into play right now.

September 17, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  21. CG

She's a Republican plant who is pulling this stunt just to generate pub for the GOP against Barack. Check her reported donations-bet she has major contributions to McCain as well.

September 17, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  22. Paul Thompson

Democrats main strategy is to get everyone mad at the country....
    It's a losing strategy...

Look at the economy...the worst ever....NOT?
    I'd rather live here than anywhere...
    We have problems, issues, corruption, terrible stuff, but
    we need to work on making this a better place for all,
    and not just complaining....deeds...not words.

The Democratic congress is at a 9% approval rating?
    I wonder why!

September 17, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  23. Veteran in Kansas

Just a bitter, racist/sexist, that can not accept the results of the primary, so she would rather bring down the nation than accept the primary outcome.

September 17, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  24. Kray

That is wonderful.
    I too voted for Hillary, but have thrown 100% of time and money to support John McCain.
    Lynn is right.....something is not right with Nobama and I don't like him, don't like to look at him, don't like to hear him.
    Nobama scares me. Wake up America!

McCain-Palin '08 / '12 !!!!!!!!!

September 17, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  25. Casey

"Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York."

Clearly she has every right to accuse Senator Obama of being an elitist. What a crock!!!

September 17, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62