September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Jim S. Clearwater, FL

Wow, Elitist? I think she spends too much time looking at herself in the mirror. How many homes does she have? Probably McCain's neighbor in many neighborhoods! :)

September 17, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  2. Marsha

I see so many comments from those who think that she is supporting McCain because Obama is black..... the sooner the fact that he is black no longer makes a difference in this election, the better. The fact is de Rothschild is one of the members of the top 20% making over $250,000.00 a year. She, just like John McCain will be heavily taxed come next January when Barack Obama takes office, and she doesnt want that, so of course she will support the Republican party.

All the bickering and lies and accusations from McCain and the fact that he is running neck in neck with Obama makes me almost ashamed to live in the USA. The fact that women like de Rothschild and Sara Palin can make an impact on other women who are struggling to support their families JUST BECAUSE she is a woman is just shameful!

Obama/Biden '08

3. South Florida for Obama

we don't want her vote anyway and she is supporting her millionaire friends
    wake up America

Obama/Biden 08

4. Jim Hall

SHE IS JUST A RACIST. THE ONLY THING SHE HAS TO DO IN LIFE IS TO JET SET BACK AND FORTH TO LONDON AND OTHER COUNTRIES TO SHOP OR HAVE LUNCH. LET THE THING GO. HOPEFULLY SHE WILL LOOSE HER FORTUNE ON WALL STREET. LIKE MANY WEALTHY PEOPLE ARE DOING NOW JIM OBAMA 2008.

5. a. nious

Let her shift her allegiance!! When Barack Obama becomes president she will see that every personal feelings she has against him will backfire against her from London to New York !!! The problem is she's scared her wealth is going to shrink!!!

6. MS Redhead

Now, this is a significant endorsement for McCain–considering the timing of the announcement being so close to the election. Her statement: "I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him" pretty much describes why I won't be voting for Obama. And, how surprising is it that Obama supporters are crying RACISM! NOT!

McCain/Palin '08 / Hillary '12

7. Kathryn

Ms. Forester, you actually trust John McCain? Incredible!
    By the way, if anyone is elitest here, you fit the bill.

8. Edy from NJ

Like the french people always, Forester es un imbécile. If you are a true democrat, you should stick with what ever leader the party chose.

9. Jen from Wisconsin

Wow-
    Look who is calling who an "elitist!" I guess Lynn is angry that Barack Obama can't be "bought off" by wealthy donors like other political candidates.

Maybe her money couldn't "buy" her preferential access to Obama? Poor her. No worries though, McCain loves catering to wealthy elitists like her... Perhaps she can vacation at one of McCain's 8 homes as a "thank you" gift.

Good riddance Ms. Forester de Rothschild! It's time for everyday Americans to take America back–and electing Barack Obama will do just that!!!

10. jake747

I'll echoe the many here - how in the world does the CEO of Rothschild call Obama an elitist?! Incredible.

The only thing Obama did wrong was win. He had every right to run for the Presidency. He was a gentleman throughout. Just because Hillary didn't get her coronation doesn't mean Obama's a bad guy.

What a loser Forester is. She could at least stay on the sidelines...

11. Tracy

WHAT THIS BOILS DOWN TO THAT NO ONE WANTS TO DISCUSS IS THAT SOME PEOPLE WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA BECAUSE HE IS BLACK AND HAS A DIFFERENT NAME. THIS WOULD NOT EVEN BE AN ISSUE IF BARACK WAS BARRY JONES AND A WHITE MAN. AS AN AMERICAN, I AM NOT PROUD OF HOW RACIST THIS GREAT COUNTRY STILL IS. IT IS SICKENING THAT WE ARE IN THIS STATE OF MIND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS OF SO CALLED PROGRESS. WHEN ARE WE GOING TO LOOK AT PEOPLE FOR THEIR CHARACTER AND LOOK BEYOND THEIR COLOR? AND I AM A 36 YEAR OLD WHITE FEMALE. AMERICANS REALLY NEED TO TAKE INVENTORY OF THEMSELVES AND ASK ARE THEY VOTING FOR THE ISSUES OR VOTING AGAINST THE BLACK MAN WHO BY THE WAY HAD A WHITE MOTHER, BUT I GUESS THAT IS NOT WHITE ENOUGH IN SOME AMERICANS EYES BECAUSE OF HIS TAN COMPLEXION. FOR ME, I AM A TRUE BLUE COLLAR DEMOCRAT WHO WILL BE VOTING FOR THE ISSUES AND NOT THE RACE OF THE CANDIDATE.

OBAMA-BIDEN '08

12. R Matthews

Why is it that if you are white and don't like Obama, you are a racist, but if you are black and don't like McCain, that's fine?

You can't have it both ways...............

13. mbgoldie

and this is news????? Who cares???????

14. Sara McAtee - Minneapolis

REAL Democrats wouldn't run around trying to bully everyone else into voting the way THEY want to by calling other people "not real democrats". This generation of Obama supporters sound like six year olds who have to insert. "well, that's not a REAL (insert object here)" just because someone else disagrees.

I don't like Obama, I do like Biden.
    I don't like Palin, I do like McCain.

But I liked Hilary and Gravel best.

...So, the Dems can just go sit in a corner and think about what they've done this year around.

Sara – "A real" voter, who leans dem but won't be this year...

15. Democrats for McCain

Vote for Obama, otherwise you're RACIST!

September 17, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  16. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

A perfect example of a woman voting with her emotions rather than her brain - and I'm a woman. Either she's a racist, or not a true democrat. Either way, we're better off without her.

This election is really making some people take a long hard look at themselves - I hope they like what they see, because much of it isn't pretty.

September 17, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  17. Bob Stephens

Shows how disingenuous many of her supporters were.

September 17, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  18. Mireille

He's an elitist. Rothschild is the elite of the elite. It's a lie. But who cares. Go on down with the sinking ship.

On second thought why do we have to know this? Money ain't gonna do it this time. By the way, how much money is rothschild losing on the street?

September 17, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  19. jack g craig

I would like to know the details of her reasons for switching to McCain.

I believe she is making the right choice

September 17, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  20. REL

Who cares! How could you support Hillary and then McSAME? Lets see the expression on her face when MSCAME and PALIN LOSE!

September 17, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  21. EyesWideOpen

Hey genius, your husband's name is "Sir Evelyn de Rothschild" and he's an international banker! I think that makes you the elitest, you sore loser.
    No wonder Hillary lost the nomination, with clowns like you on her team...lol.

September 17, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  22. Real Dem Abroad

Rich comment coming from what REAL dems abroad know is a true elitist. She doesn't represent the rest of us living outside the US, so all you dems back home plz don't tar us all with the sickly brush of McShame. Use your energy to pity her instead. Time for the DNC to give her a swift kick in the backside and lead her to the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out, you arrogant, pitiful, sore loser.

September 17, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  23. Dee

It's good to see there are open minds out there that are willing to think outside party lines. She isn't going to be the only high profile Democrat supporter to convert.

While I have voted Democrat every election, this will be my first time voting Republican.

Obama just does not sit well with me. He is not experienced enough in the political arena at this level to put our country in the right direction. With more experience at a higher level (maybe 8 years from now), I would vote with him.

He isn't as clear cut on his issues and angles that he likes to portray.

All "election norms" are out the window this election. Ultimately, we all need to vote with who we truly believe will be able to do the job and put the country in the right direction, and not with our "usual" party lines.

September 17, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  24. Allison R.

She's so right. I absolutley want some joe-shmoe, poor non-elitist running my country too. What a stupid argument. McCain wears $400 shoes and has 7 houses. So instead of choosing an elite education she chooses an ignorant jingoist completely out of touch with America? Wake up people–especially women. McCain opposed equal pay for women. He opposes a woman's right to choose. And his ads have been complete LIES–even when he tried to quote factcheck.org. EVEN KARL ROVE SAYS SO.

September 17, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  25. Sherry

I am lifelong Democrat and a former Hillary supporter and I absolutely refuse to vote for Obama simply because he is a Democrat.
    I want a balanced budget and a stong immigration policy that does not consider amnesty as a solution.
    I also want experience and reality based solutions, not grandiose speeches.
    As far as I'm concerned, Obama is just another empty suit that is too inexperienced to deal with this country's vast, complicated problems.
    I don't want speeches, I want experience.

September 17, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62