September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Sean

So, let me digest all of this.... The only reason that people will not vote for Obama is because they are racists...

September 17, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  2. Ken

This race more than any other needs a third party candidate. At least they should put "none of the above" on the ballot.

September 17, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  3. Tim in NC

Yet another PUMA whom we can lay the blame with for a McCain/Palin presidency, and the "/" isn't indicative of Palin being VP. I am alluding to theSTRONG probability that we will see PRESIDENT Palin before the end of McCain's first term in office.

I do hope every McCain supporter realizes that... Good-bye Seperation of Church and State, Hello four more years of Bush.

September 17, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  4. craig

I don't mind her doing this, she is free to do whatever she wants, but please give a valid reason." I do not like him" That is just crazy. Was she voting for Hillary because she liked her.

I am a realist! A woman like her does not have to worry about the issues that affect everyday Americans. She does not even have to live here. The sad fact of this election is that many won't vote for Obama not because of issues but out of personal feelings, and those are just democrats.

September 17, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  5. Joseph

If she was a REAL Democrat she would support Obama but it seems that she is not. I wonder if Obama being black has anything to do with it? LOL
    ______________________________________________________

It has nothing to do with him being black and all of those who are saying that i am sorry but you need a check up from the neck up. Obama is not a real democrat because democrats use to be for the people and not for big oversized obease government.

We don;t need universal health care all that etc shoot we need someone who will have the balls to shrink down our fat government and bring it back within the confines of the consitution

Joe

September 17, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  6. Kim

Home | Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Top Story
    Clinton Cancels Rally Appearance After Learning Palin Invited

on Fox News

Hillary did the right thing - she stood up!!!

September 17, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  7. Angela

I commend your decision-

Country First! Party Second!!!

The democratic party who nominated this indecisive, inexperienced candidate who voted present 130 times in the Ilinois senate, for there power with the party itself disgusts me.

I am a democratic volunteer for the state of NJ and people in my circle will go in and press the John MCCain button for President!

The democratic party yet again shot themselves in the foot by nominating an empty suit (Obama) instead of the most qualified canididate (Hillary) for the democratic nominee.

The party gets what they derserve, another loss to add to list of inadequate people they have nominated.

The democratic party put "PARTY instead of Country first!

Go Lynn Forrester! I am with you.

Fellow democratic NJ voters who won't tow the party line are with you.

MCCain 08

September 17, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  8. Helen

On the polite side...I must say I am sorry for the conclusion this lady has arrived at. However, you are "entitled" to your vote.

On the other side, McCain is the opposite of HRC so maybe you were that focus on the ISSUES at hand and more into the WOMAN/GENDER THING.

The McCain camp claimed one however with the Palin selection he is losing out of more votes than he is gaining.

PRESIDENT OBAMA 08"

September 17, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  9. You Can Run But You Can Not Hide!

Lynn Forester de Rothschild, it is a free world and your democratic right. It is nice to note that you are not supporting him because he is running on wrong issues, it is because he is a minority, A BLACK MAN!
    How come you trust McCain more, his is no elitist (7 houses, 530 dollar shoes, ?), more educated, more intelligent, demonstrated more fisical responsibility in the course of his campaign ...?
    A tree does not make a forest! Good luck with your choice but you will regret it, I am 100% sure!

September 17, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  10. arc, Lugano CH

Does marrying into elitism grant you the right to accuse others of elitism? Rothschild isn't her maiden name.

It's sad and laughable how even at such a high level of privileged education and wealth, Rothschild's bitterness/anger is no less rational than those women well below her 'means'.

I wonder if Rothschild also supports denying women the freedom of choice over their own bodies in cases of rape as does Palin.

That would be an empowered statement in support of Hillary Clinton. Hear me Roar!!!

September 17, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  11. Jan

Home | Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Top Story
    Clinton Cancels Rally Appearance After Learning Palin Invited

September 17, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  12. jason

"I feel like he is an elitist." i'd like to think the higher goverment people don't buy into the brainwashing, so i can only suspect she is lying here.

this implies that hillary wants to run in 2012.

September 17, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  13. Mary from Sarasota FL

I do not understand WHY this would make the CNN website as NEWS.
    Really. This is a totally bogus news event. a NON event actually.
    Spare me. When I first read to headline I was interested. Then, when I saw who it was, I thought, "who is this and why do we care."
    sheesh.... Mary from Sarasota.

September 17, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  14. Concerned Democrat

Seriously, the people who support Obama need to cut the crap about those who don't support him being racist. There are so many other reasons that an individual would not back Obama. I was a Clinton supporter during the primaries and was completely turned off by the Obama supporters who continuously told me that the only reason I backed her was because I was a racist. The continued use of that charge against people who support or supported other candidates is the reason Obama is having such a hard time wooing Clinton supporters and Independents. I the people who back Obama really want to see his historic bid for the White House succeed then they need to make it about the issues and not sex or race. I don't care who you are as long as you speak to me about the issues that are important and tell me what you are going to do to fix the problems in this country. Unless those of you who throw around the word racist so freely want to see the Democratic party fail once again you had better think about speaking to why Obama would be the best candidate and how he will implement change. Because to me, those of you throwing the word racist around appear to me to be people voting or supporting Obama BECAUSE they don't want to be labled a racist and not because he his the best candidate for them.

September 17, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  15. Jennifer

This "he's an elitist, so I don't like him" nonsense has got to stop. Our president, as we have found out by first hand experience, does not have to be a person we would like to sit down and have a beer with. Frankly, I want a president that I feel is more intelligent, more experienced, more wordly than I am. Because I'm sitting in a small town in NY struggling to expand my knowledge and keep an opened mind – I don't want my President to be the same way or anything like me. And besides, anyone who doesn't want to sit down and have a beer with someone who may be more intelligent and elite than themselves and possibly learn something new, clearly has self-esteem issues they want to ignore and hold against everyone but themselves. I want to learn from my President. I want to be inspired and in awe of my president. I don't want him to be just like me. Not at all.

And besides, how can anyone say McCain is not among the "elite" with 7 (9 according to his tax returns, so I've heard) homes and a private jet?

This elitist arguement is a copout. It's vailed insecurity and cowardly.

September 17, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  16. Ian

Follow the money trail.

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  17. CMae

Wake up people. Obama IS an elitist, so is McCain, etc. etc. etc. We are screwed. There are no CHOICES for leadership. The bankers are running everything. Until there is a third, independent party, and until control of the money is restored to the people – not a corrupt govt, not the Fed – we have no choices.

If you argue this point, you either don't know what you're talking about or you're still in denial and that's fine. But it's the truth.

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  18. Steve

Clinton Cancels Rally Appearance After Learning Palin Invited

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  19. Poole4Obama

Who in the heck gives this woman the right to call ANYONE an elitist? This woman parades herself from Park Ave to London every week and she's calling HIM and elitist?

Give me a break. Stop lying to America and yourself Lynn. You are racist. That's what I'm believing until you give us a better excuse than that.

"“I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

And you trust MCCAIN??????????????????????? What has this yoyo done to give you ANY reason to trust him?

Please leave the country because I am a proud sponsor of deporting idiots.

Thanks

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  20. Derrick Green

That just goes to show you how racially divided this country is. If this lady was a true Democrat that truly loved her country, she would vote for Obama. After he wins in November, maybe she'll keep her ELITIST A– in London. Imagine a rich white lady calling a black man that grew up with a single mom and worked his way through college an ELITIST. What nerve! Who cares that her sorry rich a– donated to Hillary. If she wasn't a racist, she wouldn't do this.

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  21. kevin

WHY IS IT THAT WHEN SOMEONE IS NOT FOR OBAMA, THEY ARE A RACIST!!!

DEMOCRATS, STOP PLAYING THE RACE CARD. IT HAS GONE BEYOND BEING OLD.

25% OF AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE NOT VOTING FOR YOU BOY SO ARE THEY RACIST ALSO.

PLUS, 75% ARE VOTING FOR OBAMA CAUSE HE IS BLACK. NOW THAT IS RACIST.

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  22. Jim Bob

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,”

LOL, okay.

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  23. kim

It is unfortunate, I agree, if Obama doesnt win this election, Hillary can forget about her presidential bid. Not because she isnt qualified but what happen to all of her campaign theatrics? how about a little "Shame on You" John Mccain for his lies or to her supporters switching sides due to racsm. I personally dont feel that she is expressing her view or her "supposed" with enough conviction on purpose. Those democrats voting repub need to understand, The true "you " is showing. There is virtually no difference between Obama and Hillary other than race.

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  24. Mary in Ohio

Thanks but no Thanks! We don't need you anyway!

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  25. Aden

wow! spoken like a true airhead....so this lady is willing to jeopardise her country (is that true?) just becuase she doesn't "like" Obama personally!umm..ok, well...you know just becuase I don't "like" the color green, I'll let millions of people lose their jobs,homes and livelihoods and destroy a whole country! jeez! what is wrong with these people? THINK before your talk...use those grey cells!!!

September 17, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62