September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Mike

Finally someone sees the light . . Obama is going down !

McCain Palin 2008 baby ! WHOHOOOOOOOOOO

September 17, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  2. j williamson

The endorsement is really a bad idea – I supported Hillary too (and thought she was treated in a less than honest way re the VP pick), but I'll hold my nose and vote for Obama anyway. We just can not afford a third Bush term – which is what we'd get with a McCain win.

September 17, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  3. Jennifer

CNN talk about McCain wanting to set up a 9/11 – esque commission for the economy. This is a big deal! People need to know that this guy's cluelessness is dangerous. Do your duty to America and inform us so we can make decisions instead of running nonsense stories like this which have no substance. AND PLEASE PUBLISH MY COMMENTS.

September 17, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  4. GRANDMA59

Actually sophie it would be a slap in the face for Hillary backer to vote for NObama!!! PUMAS FOR PALIN!!! GO MCCAIN/PALIN 08
    AS HILL SAID HUNDREDS OF TIMES COUNTRY BEFORE PARTY!! she is being forced to back the crooked DNC in public but behind that curtain HILL WILL VOTE MCCAIN!!! BET ON IT.

September 17, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  5. Chris

Well I can see that the well used tactic of calling someone a racist just because they are not voting for Obama is alive and well. Really people!?! As someone said earlier, it's nice to see some people aren't automatically swooning to Obama. His whole campaign has been about change. How? He is no different than any other politician that has come before him. He talks about bringing troops home from Iraq, and then wants them to postpone that homecoming until after Bush is out of office. Gee, wonder why? Could it be he's wanting it to happen during his possible reign, so that he can get all the credit. Please people. Wake up.

September 17, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  6. Dale C.

I think she misspoke...what she was probably trying to say is "I don't like the fact that a black man feels elitist to me".
    Barack needs to provide a reason to be trustworthy, whereas born-with-a-silver-spoon-in-the-mouth folks can be trusted by default.

September 17, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  7. Juge

Excuse Me Ms de Rothschild...WE as JEWS should know better then to be bigotted. You supported Hillary – well what you should have been supporting is the Democratic values and platform and if not – and you were supporting a cult figure – then leave and never come back to the party. The RNC will never be for the people but it will be for you as a RICH person. I guess you expected something from Hillary – you certainly paid for something. It is, therefore, a good thing she did not make it and you better believe she will never get close in 2012.

September 17, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  8. She'llfitrightIN

What a hypocrite!!!! She's got the gall to call Obama an elitist?!! Look in the mirror (when you're not lifting or botoxing it!), I mean mirrors, one for each of your faces! Of course she'll endorse McCain, he won't go after her money with increased taxes for the rich and ELITE!

September 17, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  9. VitoF

This is great; it's almost like a story from the Onion. Someone named "Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild", the "flashiest hostess in London", who is married to a British banking scion worth $600 million, and doesn't even live in America, is calling Barack Obama "elite". I love it. Want to try again "Lady Lynn" - why is it REALLY that you don't like Barack, but you liked Hillary? What possibly could be the same about Hillary and McCain - it's certainly not their policies or vision for the country... hmmmm...

September 17, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  10. Fed up!

Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter – Yea right! Why not, she's not hurting for anything. She was not a true backer of Hillary. All true backers will support who Hillary supports.

September 17, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  11. Sande

The DNC "shot itself in the foot" when they "anointed" Obama. This may be just the first of many defections. I am a lifelong democrat who is voting for McCain/Palin. I hate everything they espouse (negating women's right to choose, vouchers, creationism (Palin), stance on gay rights, etc.) but I don't have any faith and trust in someone who thinks it is ok to get his political cojones from William Ayres. The DNC's treatment of Hillary was despicable. Truly, the democrats have self-destructed when they could have have one of the most unbeatable and persevering candidates ever: Senator Clinton.

September 17, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  12. D.Ringold

The thing that kills me more than anything is the fact that most white people that say they won't vote for Obama , keep coming up with the same tired old reasons not to instead of being honest and telling the truth. I have more respect for the white man or woman that stands up and says" I'm not voting for him because he is black" then I do for the ones that come up with lame excuses like" I feel he is an Elitist"? THE MAN WAS ON FOOD STAMPS WHEN HE WAS A KID!!

Like Obama said , the REP party Have no clue what it is like to be poor, jobless or homeless. That's why they will never even try to help anyone who is.

What people should do is find out what businesses she owns and boycott her.

September 17, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  13. dl

This is the woman from that secret mystery group the Bilderberg secretive circle bologne.

She is slimey.

This is the power elite upset that they will not pull the strings anymore.

This will open hopefully investigations into the Bilderberg Group

September 17, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  14. R

This should be a game changer. Right!

September 17, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  15. Mase

I'm not voting for Obama because he's half white

September 17, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  16. tigerjcs

Obama just cannot be trusted. He said one thing and does another. He supports those people who called the Clintons' racist. Give me a break!. Obama is the one who is racist, using race to advance his political career.

I also switch my support to McCain/Palin.

September 17, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  17. Southerner

Elitist isn't abotu how much money you have. Elitist is about thinking you are better than everyone else. You know, all those bitter people, clinging to their guns, religion and bigotry...

Obama does act like an arrogant elitist jerk. It would not matter if he were flat broke. His behavior and rhetoric clearly indicate that he feels he is superior to everyone else, and is somehow the ONLY ONE capable of seeing how things "should be".

The big problem is that his vision is pure socialism and most Americans would reject it, if they just took the time to look at what he actually HAS done, and the details of what he is proposing, rather than the empty populist rhetoric he conceals it in.

Obama is a disaster waiting to happen. Don't fall for it!

September 17, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  18. Jeff

While I absolutely agree with her distaste for Obama, I am disappointed with her decision to endorse McCain. I don’t like Obama either and will not be supporting him, but I certainly can’t support McCain either. Sometimes it's best to put your checkbook away and keep your mouth shut. I think it will be a disaster no matter who wins.

September 17, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  19. Tim Bleasdale

Greg calls for a "BLOODY REVOLUTION" in a early posting. This is from a Democrat? Uh, Greg, maybe you haven't noticed, but the Democrats don't like guns OR violence, maybe you should check your closet and see if you still have a gun, and then check in with your shrink. But alas, You Knee-jerk Democrats wanted to blow the mid-east off the face of the earth on 9-12-01, then 6 months later want to give up and go home. I know why, too. It has nothing to do with our soldiers dying, or the poor enemy dying. It has to do with GREED. When you found out the COST $$ of war, You could'nt stomach seeing the Money go there, and when you figured out that we really WERE"NT going after the OIL as you charged the administration was doing, you were mad. Like a Child. Grow up, Greg. Learn a little humility and humbleness, not vindictiveness and violence, especially when the MAJORITY RULES, Not YOUR RULES. Spoiled Brat

September 17, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  20. Richard Fraer

Hilliary said he could not win it and I was convinced but he sweet talked a lot of people and now the real chickens are coming home to lay eggs

September 17, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  21. Nancy

This Rothschild doesn't like the elitist??? What a world.

September 17, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  22. kate

Seems like Feminist Fury to me. How can you disrespect all that Clinton stood for by voting for McCain and Palin unless you were just voting for the pantsuit...

September 17, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  23. Josephine from Canada

This woman is out of her mind. She called Obama an elitist? She must be very stupid. So because her candidate lost the primary so she can not trust Obama. This means she 's not a Democrat. Why can't she say " I will not vote for a Black man" by the way Obama is not Black enough, he's biracial. This woman is a Racist and the DNC should send her packing.

September 17, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  24. Sunny

This lady is the biggest idiot I have ever found so far. USA is in shambles because of such stupid people living in this country. Endorsing McCain shows how much she cares for this country. It is a big misfortune to have such idiots in DNC. She should be chucked out of DNC and let the republicans take this selfish traitor in their party.

September 17, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  25. People Undergoing Mental Anguish

WOW, "he's an elitist." Are you kidding me? Isn't Cindy McCain a beer heiress with multiple houses and $300,000 wardrobes.

Oh and this just in: If you run for president YOU ARE AN ELITIST BY DEFINITION....ya know, since you think you're the most qualified for the most powerful position on the planet.

The stupidity of people will never cease to amaze me.

Please post this.

September 17, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62