September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. truth

I don't get this whole I don't trust him thing. You trust mcclain...tell me why again.

This is a sad day for america if mcclain wins the election. he not going to do anything to change the downward spirl...but hey..they want bush and know we have bush...AND PRESIDENT BUSH HAS BEEN GREAT FOR AMERICA...RIGHT..

obama get my vote because he thinking of the people. period.

vote for who you like...but remember america is in danger.

September 17, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  2. Joe Idaho

I didn't like Hillary but I like what she stands for, and would have voted for her hands down over anybody in the Racist Republican Party, so I wonder.... What's the real issue.

September 17, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  3. mollygonz

This means SOMETHING because????? This woman has the dumbest reasons for not voting for Obama and CNN acts like its big news. Yea, let me just change my vote to McCain because of this "elitist" woman who has alot of kahunas (sp?) calling Obama elitist. Give me a break. if anything, this will probably make more people vote for Obama. Ha!

September 17, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  4. Marie

Does anyone else find this comment from a multi-millionaire socialite as bizarre as I do? I am a registered Republican, but will be voting for Obama this year. I'm looking for the person that seems to have the mental capacity to think through some of the problems we're facing.

September 17, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  5. JJ

I don't see how she can sit here and call anyone an elitist. Oh well to each it's own. It just goes to show you that all she cared about was Hillary being a woman. she cared nothing about the issues and what Hillary stood for. Hillary and Obama views on the issues are very similiar and are world's apart from McCains.

In other words, this woman is betraying Hillary and Hillary should denounce her.

September 17, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  6. John

We welcome you and any other Democrat who is dissatisfied with their party! How can you vote for someone running for President of the United States who has such a small and uneventful resume?

September 17, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  7. Eileen from Maine

Oh, Obama is elite? Is that what they are calling it these days?

Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a mega communications mogul. She was married to British banking scion Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and buds with Henry Kissinger and Vernon Jordan.
    She says she invests in India because of the many Billionaires there.

On why she was voting for Hillary: "I think if history is our guide, we've had stronger economies, more wealth creation, under Democratic presidents than we have under Republican presidents."

September 17, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  8. Joe R., NC

Excuse me, but what was Hillary's reaction to this news? Will she and Bill send James Carville out on the circuit to scream "Judas?"

Love him or hate him, Obama is the true straight talker in this campaign. Hillary still hasn't proven to me that she knows how to support anyone other than herself.

If Bill and Hillary were truly as supportive as they claim, they'd be in the headlines daily, eviscerating McCain and Palin. But all I hear are crickets (and sore losers whining with 6 weeks left in the most important election of the last 50 years).

I love how the ol' "Government can't solve all our problems" crowd are the very same people insisting that Obama hasn't proven to them that he can solve all our problems.

What we are witnessing in this election - and the last two travesties - is the result of the collapse of our educational system (once the envy of the world). We have several generations of idiots who are suspicious of intelligence voting for the leader of our country...

I tell you, I weep for our nation.

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  9. nellie

Who is this woman? She doesn't sound too smart, rich maybe , but not smart. I have voted for many people I did not like, but did so anyway, because they had the right message. I vote smart!

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  10. Me in Ohio

Any one of you who think that the election of McCain or, God forbid, Obama will bring any real change are delusional. McCain represents the old guard, while Obama represents who the hell knows...whoever or whatever is pulling the strings to fill that empty suit. Think about it...if the messiah gets elected who will he REALLY represent, those of you sending ten dollars, or those who paid TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS (that's $28,000 for you kool-aid drinkers) to attend his fundraiser last night? At least with McCain, we may still get to keep some of our property and liberties.

I also find it interesting that the only reply the Obamabots have to anyone who opposes him is that the opposition must be racist. Who, now, is playing the race card?

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  11. Dwayne - Naples, FL

Oh yeah!! Thank you again Hillary for this ace in the GOP pocket.....

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  12. Walter, Oklahoma

After I read the headline, I thought it might be somebody important. Instead, I found out it was someone who would naturally be more comfortable in McCain's and Bush's social circles anyway. She must have been part of the Democrats' Affirmative Action outreach program at one time...

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  13. Rob

Hmmm, sounds like the Obama whinning brigade is making an appearance in this comment section again. Truth is she sees that Obama really has nothing to offer. Change, oooh, big word. Means nothing if you have a track record of corruption like Obama does, won't disclose details on his friendships, like Obama does. But no, he says change and all of you go ga-ga and herald the arrival of the Obamiah.

And to all of you who still want to carry that tired line "Jesus was a community organizer", I may not be as well versed in the Bible as I should, but I don't recall any mention in there of the disciples having to hold up papyrus cue cards during His sermon on the mount. Let's see, do I want a president who knows how to email, or one who knows how to speak effectively in public without a teleprompter. Gee, that's a tough one.

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  14. Anonymous

You dont like him.....You dont like him.....Its people like you that make decisions on an impulse rather than based on facts....for Pete's sake he's elitist and McCain who cant count the number of houses he has isnt....Lady out with the truth...what is the real reason you dont support him.....look deep....you dont like him.....you dont like him.

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  15. SCM DC

Someone who married into the Rothschild family calls Obama "elitist"?? PLEASE! No one's buying this argument, lady. You wanna endorse McCain, then get out of the Democratic party and join the Repubs! This is disgusting!

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  16. The Truth

Wow, even politicians aren't voting the issues. How can you support Hillary (who has virtually the same views as Barack) then turn around and support McCain?
    What is this election really about? Hate to say it but the only reason I can come up with is racism. I really hope e get it right in Nov. If we don't America will eventually burn in its own racist fire.

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  17. Jeremy

Obama, who grew up on food stamps and no father, is an elitist? But John McCain, who owns 9 HOUSES, isn't? I can't believe she wants McCain to serve Bush's 3rd term. Hey Rothschild, go join Lieberman.

September 17, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  18. Hildegarde Schildgen

I think she should be immediately stripped of all connection with the democratic party. She is no democrat.
    Pretty sad when we have someone who helped himself get to where his is now and then call him an elitist. evidently she doesn't want anyone to get where she is.

September 17, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  19. dave

who's the elitist?

next...give us some real news and stop trying to find a story that is not there

September 17, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  20. John

So, the jetsetter, Lynn Forester de Rothschild Winchester the Third, wife of Sir Evelyn de Rothschild, International Banker, thinks that Obama is an elitist. How simply droll!

September 17, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  21. Jiall American

Oh get off the racist crap. A lot of people think that Hillary was the best one for the job but it went to a lesser experienced, younger, good looking MAN ... and they're pissed.

September 17, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  22. Ommi

Not surprise at all, Rothchild is racist and an opportunist we all know that so give your vote to McCAIN/Palin/ Bush.

Obama/ Biden 2008-2016
    Thank God for these two great men.

September 17, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  23. IB

Country first! Hillary 2012!

September 17, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  24. C.N. Philly

Wow... if you don't back Obama, I'll call you out as a racist... Is this the Obama's card?

September 17, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  25. Derrick

Is this Rothschild one in the same with the owners or our Central Banking System...oops I mean part owner of the Federal Reserve, the privately owned Bank who regulates US currency and has never been audited?

September 17, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62