September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Advice

That is just a statement to mask racism . There are still white people ou there who won't vote for black. That is a fact that people won't admit. But trust me , it's true.

September 17, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  2. marcie

I think one elitist female feels threatened by someone she never dreamed would enter her protected camp!

September 17, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  3. GC

She could start a new group "Rothschilds for McCain" with a motto "He'll keep billionaire jetsetters taxes low"

September 17, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  4. Mark

She is racist! Black or white should not make a difference. I say let the smarter man win, and that is Obama! I'm telling you folks, if you let McCain and Palin into the White House, you might as well go out now and get fitted for an AK 47 because McCain will lead us into WW 111. I sit back and say to myself how naive people can be to even think about electing McCain and Palin. Listen to them folks, they say the same thing every day. Palin is still talking about Obama's clinging to guns and religion comment. She knows nothing and has no clue to what the people need. She is a puppet that is saying what she is being told to say.

September 17, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  5. Annoyed in Ohio

Does anybody have the facts to show she is racist. I'm African-American and I'm undecided. If I choose (and it is MY choice) to vote for McCain than does that also make me racist?

September 17, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  6. anonymous

Welcome – smart woman!!! More and more are changing tides!!!

McCain/Palin

September 17, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  7. Gary

Reading these comments, it's sad how so many people believe that someone supporting someone other than Obama is racist!!! Vote Obama or you hate blacks seems to be the theme.

September 17, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  8. maxxdogg

Mrs. Evelyn De Rothschild who splits her time between London and New York is the arbiter of elitism? What a fraud.

September 17, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  9. dave Ann Arbor

That's a hoot.

Well, I guess it takes a Rothschild to call someone else an elitist!

Lynn Forester de Rothschild is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild.

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  10. Bill NY

She's worth hundreds of millions, married to royalty, the only minorities working for her are cleaning toilet bowls, and Obama is an elitist?
    Please join the Republican party and stay one. Good riddance.

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  11. Rob

More sour grapes for the Obama folks. If someone doesn’t like him they a) are racists, b) have no vision, or c) are lying.

Guess what, Obama folks. There are those of us out here that have other opinions and do not like him for political reasons. I wonder if maybe all you have are racist arguments after all.

No to the hypocrite. No how. No way. NObama.

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  12. Poll Me

Good thing your vote counts the same as mine does. Personally, I think you're pathetic but I respect the fact that you have as much a right to endorse who you endorse as I do. I just don't like the fact that you're voting against Obama for such superficial reasons. I'd rather you not vote than merely to vote against him by endorsing McCain. This was never about Hillary or Obama nor is it about McSame. It is about change and who people believe can bring that about in Washington. I don't trust any politician and never will, but I do believe in what Obama represents. How can a man who once lived off of food stamps be considered elitist? How can man who had to pay off his college debt be considered elitist? John McCain got in the navel academy because of his father and grandfather's legacy? He finished 494 out of 499. He leaves his first wife when she needs him most and marries and heiress. Now he can't even tell you how many houses he owns but Obama's the elitist? McSame thinks the fundamentals of the economy are strong but he's not elitist? He supports tax breaks for the wealthiest people in America but he's not elitist. His wife wears a $300k outfit to the RNC but he's not elitist. Support who you want but don't try to make me believe Obama's an elitist. He may be on the borderline of cocky and confident, but he's no elitist.

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  13. david

Obama's supporters seem full of hate and spite

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  14. John

I want Hiliary to respond to this. This ship jumper is funny. Palin has nothing in common with Hiliary. She should tell the truth, she doesn't know the issues or any of the canidates personally. Doesn't make sense – back to London we don't need you, thanks

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  15. Tunick

Who cares about this woman? This means absolutely nothing. It is not even worth being in the news.

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  16. Rick

WHO CARES!
    I'm a Republican voting for OBAMA! I'm sick of the whining, and sick of the mess this country is in!
    This lady is a loser!
    One of many switiching to OBAMA!

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  17. Long time Democrat for McCain

Welcome to the McCain bandwagon! There are a lot of us democrats that are putting our support behind McCain. It is the smart thing to do.

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  18. Jaki Maryland

Perhaps she should look up the word "elitist" then she will see herself.

is she sure this is the only reason. I can understand if you just don't like him but to peg him elitist - come on.

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  19. Sue

Hard to believe she is doing this against Hillary's wishes.

In fact, I don't believe it.

September 17, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  20. len Smith

If McCain has any possible chance at winning this election, we are all in for a lot more of what we have had for that last four years and they have not been good. Kids dying in Iraq because a president wanted to be a War President and no return from it. The economy in the tank and getting worse. And the thought that the old one could die and we would have the most knowledgeble about energy as president, Spare us this grief and the maybe the failed former head of HP who ran the company into the ground and still got $44 million as a cabinet officer, Spare me. But if someone that is half black cannot be elected in this very racist country, it doesn't say much for the white population, that will soon be in the minority.

September 17, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  21. What a joke

Obama is an elitist??? This from folks who support a man whose father AND grandfather were US Navy admirals?? The Rothschilds are an old European royal family for heaven's sake. Only in America could a black man from a single parent household be painted as an elitist by a woman who flies around the world on a private jet.

September 17, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  22. john

1. who cares arounther rich person endorsing mccain corporation.

2. a rothschild who is married to an international banker is calling someone else elite..hahahahahahahah...people like you are sick...and we wonder why the rest of the country suffers while you rich people think this is all just games

September 17, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  23. Zach K

In the words of HRC: No Way. No How. No McCain-Palin.

The poor thing doesn't realize that shes part of 1/6 of the HRC voters that are going to McCain. That's basically nearly 3 Million mere votes.
    And remember, its the electoral college that decides the election, as we sadly are reminded of back in 2000.

September 17, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  24. Mike in Fairfax

It amazes me to no end how few of you know the difference between being an elitist and actually being one of the elite. Look it up, then spew your daily vitriol. At least, having SOME knowledge about that which you are speaking will let you see yourselves as the idiots the rest of us see.

September 17, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  25. Vicki Webster

As soon as someone does not vote for Obama they are racist. Enough of this BS the guy is not likable to them period. All of sudden is racism ....can you think of something else to say beside racism?

September 17, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62