September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Hillary 2012

Welcome to the board
    Life long democrat and Hillary strong supporter will vote for Mc Cain
    Hillary 2012 /Mc Cain/Palin2008

2. Skipper_sam

How many Blacks voted for Obama over Hillary in the south carolina primary simply because of his skin color

I am voting for the most experenced candate for president which is John Mc Cain I would have voted for Hillary but not a state legastator from Chicago

3. Collins Agya Yaw Yeboa Siakwan

I hope she is protecting her big tax break from Bush/McCain

4. Neil

I'm sorry...but a Rothschild calling someone an elitist???? You must be kidding!!! We all know what REALLY bothers her about Obama, don't we?

5. Craig

Neither candidate is wicked. Even Palin is probably a nice person. But we shouldn't be voting just because you "like" someone. That is where America goes wrong. It's not a personality contest. You should be voting for the Party that best represents opportunity and hope and equal rights for all America.

6. Monica

That's fine. Take your vote to the McCain side. Obviousely you care more about your bitter feelings because Hillary lost. It's people like you that clearly care more about your ego and selfish feelings than the country's struggles.

7. angie - dallas -28

well of course, she's mega rich and a pretty big elitist herself

8. mike

we – USA – will reap what we sow

9. A. DeHaven

Yes, make this a RACE issue – as usual. Call names because someone chooses to think for herself – as usual. You liberals never fail to resort to name-calling and bullying. But that is not going to win this election. This race is about "Pretty Words" versus "Substance, Integrity and having a RECORD." The American people will see that. GO McCAIN!

10. John C. Schneider

I think it's interesting how a guy who just got done paying off his student loans and didnt get rich until he wrote a book 4 years ago is elite. I wish people would just be honest and say they're not comfortable voting for a Black man because of White guilt.

11. Deb n Texas

Hillary Clinton is behind this. Hillary can do what she pleases, however if Obama looses this campaign – it will surely be nobody's fault but Hillary. And if she runs for president against – I will work as hard as I can to campaign against her – Hillary needs to just give it up.

12. Lyn Jenks

Fine, you give this one person coverage of an endorsement – but where is the coverage of the BIG endorsement for Obama from the National Organization for Women yesterday?

13. Mike Smith, Port Washington, NY

Her husband has "Sir" in his name? Isn't taking royal titles anti-American, in addition to being elitist?

14. Carmen

I totally agree with her... I'm not voting for a party, I'm voting for the person best qualified to be president and that is John McCain.

McCain/Palin 08 – Hillary 2012!

15. Lis Lund

Ms. Rothschild must have had too much wine to turn Republican! Or did she bake this cake with Hillary in order to get a Clinton into the White House in 2012?

16. Anton

That's what's wrong with the Obama camp, you don't support the man, you're automatically labeled racist, shame on all of you! The Obama camp is one of the main reasons why I don't support Obama. Who wants to accociate themselves with a group who automatically call anyone who is against Obama a racist.

17. tracie

she won't be on the committee much longer. bye bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out

18. Tim

Who cares? I was a solid Hillary supporter as well, and I'm now supporting Obama. The difference is that I didn't vote just for Hillary (like she stated), I voted for the causes I believe in. Those are the same causes Obama believes in. I think this person's reasoning is pretty lame...and frankly elitist.

19. I Love my Country!

I wish I could include the link on here that shows the Anti-Palin rally in Anchorage that drew more than 1500 PEOPLE. These people are livid that she is a VP candidate and definitely don't want to see her in the white house. What is incredible though is that for Alaska 100 people is considered a great rally but there were 1500 people with signs saying "Voted for her once, NEVER again" or "Northern Extremist" or "Palin is a failure" "too inexperienced". Try and google for articles.

September 17, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  20. Canadian can't believe America would vote Repub again!

That's nothing more than thinly disguised racism. Her argument of "I don't like him, ...he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.” just doesn't seem to ring true. Can anyone be more elitist than a 'De Rotheschild' who is married to an international banker and living between houses in London and New York.

21. Moish

its too funny. a self absorbed, wealthy spoiled brat is throwing a tantrum calling a child of a single mom an "elitist." Go back to London and get a life!

22. mel

She "feels like..." It's frightening how many out there will base their choice on what things"feel like" as opposed to doing some real thinking about what will be the best choice for our country. Get informed America!!!!

23. Michael

Who cares. Obviously this person is confused. If somehow McCain wins, we'll be lucky if he is incompetent to lead. If we're unlucky, he'll be Bush 44.

24. J J

Why is it when a Republican says they are going to vote for Obama they are seeing the light but when Democrat says they are going to vote for McCain she is not a real democrat, a racist, stupid, etc. Hypocrites

25. David

Just Google Lady Rothschild full name and you'll realize instantly who the REAL elitist is.........

September 17, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62