September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. SC voter

She's probably another one who backed HILLARY...and now will go to McCain.
    Obama BLEW IT~~~ He should've picked Hillary for VP. Even Joe Biden said that the other day.

September 17, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  2. Anonymous

palin is a bigger crook than we even thought, she want anwser questions, they are keeping her under wraps for some reason, they know when she opens her mouth, another lie comes out, they are trying to find a way to get rid of her, the sooner the better.

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  3. john

The Clinton need to know this: If Obama loose this election, hilary will never be president in this country.
    She doesn't have to forget that Obama represent a movent of young people in this country. They are showing a nice face on the media, but I am pretty sure they have a plan.
    But everything comes at a price. If obama looses, She has to know that her political career is finished.
    Thanks

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  4. Wally

hahaha a CEO and marital partner of an international banker is calling Obama – the community organizer, an elitist? Has the definition of 'elitism' changed? Have I not been notified this? quick! to a dictionary!

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  5. Robert Stevens

de Rothschild? Oh you mean the family from Germany who set up financial institutions throughout Europe dominating and profiting from both the Axis and Allies during WWII. She' practically married into money and of course dislikes Obama' policies. She is the elitist and part of our world's problems. The powers that be are scared of Obama.

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  6. scott c.

She's scum!!A black man with his upbringing and he's the elitest???He turned down top Wall ST.firms to do community work!!!Moron!!!

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  7. Dana

Oh great, another extremely rich blonde supporting the McCain/palin ticket- shocker! She clearly was supporting based on Gender and not issues! How can you be on a Democratic Comittee and switch your vote to everything the Democrats have been fighting against- thats just ignorant- but not surprising to me!
    Maybe her and Carly Fiorina should get together! Ugh can we get some better headlines here???

Obama/Biden 08

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  8. Moderate Republican Supporting Obama

"Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York."

Who's the elite?

Forester is a simple, hate-filled and bitter fool, just like anyone else (Dem or Republican) who is choosing to back McCain.

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  9. Ned

Someone with common sense, if you ask me. That's missing from a lot of the people posting comments here.

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  10. Peggy

This lady is in a position to know a lot more than us average citizens. I for one respect her for not supporting someone just because they're democrat. It takes a lot of character to stand up to the ridicule like she is getting.
    As for Obama, I have always seen him as an elitest. I know, because I have someone just like him as my son-in-law. He is a smooth talker, but you can't believe a word he says. Behind the scene, he treats his family like dirt under his feet. That's the way he will treat you as soon as he is elected. Beware.........You have been warned..........If you think you have Big Government now, just vote Obama in and you'll find out what BIG GOVERNMENT really is.

McCain and Palin in 2008.....

September 17, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  11. Corey Berger

How can someone who lives in New York and London call anybody else an elitist? Somehow that just doesn't make sense.

12. Whatever

who cares, who is she anyway?

13. Gary

She is one to talk of elitism???

14. alicia

AMERICA KEEP SAYING EXPERIENCE MATTER. THEIR IS A THOUSAND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND CONGRESS AND LOOK WHERE WE ARE NOW. EXPERIENCE GOT US IN THIS MESS NOW WE NEED BRAINS AND LOGIC,

15. Jpck20

I love how the immediate reaction of many here is: She's Racist!

You can call me Racist all you want I don't care. Obama is not getting my vote because... I DONT LIKE HIM EITHER!!!
    He could be Orange for all I care... I don't like him, he's weak, he's spineless and frankly, he himself is a bigot. That's more than enough reason to not give him my vote.

16. Dianne

Why is it every time someone says they don't like/know/trust Obama, they are labelled a racist? I am going to vote for him now that Palin is in the picture, but it won't be because I want to, and it is NOT about the biracial issue. I do not think he is experienced enough AND I think he has made some really bad decisions.

However, given Palin as the other option, I will grit my teeth and stay with the Democrats.

17. TonyS

Fascinating to see a DNC member and Hillary supporter come out publicly for John McCain. We'll see if any more follow, like rats abandoning a sinking ship.

18. The Bu

To "DUDE":
    You talk about Obama being "elitist" because he has a fundraiser and charges $28,500. Can we talk about McCain's fundraiser where people had to pay $50,000 per plate. This is my problem with us as Americans, we see what we want to see. We create what we want to create. And to Alex Marin, for you, sir, to say that for people to say that people are not voting for Obama because of his race is "oversimplifying" and then to turn around in the same sentence and say that it is a factor is simply ridiculous, sir. It's sad that we still have people who think like you. Vote for McCain who cares aboutsolutely nothing about the average American. He only cares about big business as we are seeing with this financial crisis. He was against regulation and now he thinks we need regulation. Vote for your candidate cause I sure as heck will vote for mine as well many other OPEN-MINDED Americans.

19. Oski

Well, she's right...Obama hasn't given HER a reason to trust him. To the contrary, whereas she is a CEO, international banker, married to European nobility, I think it's safe to say that she's in that 3-5% of Americans who Obama has PROMISED will – be – taxed more than they are now. She's voting her interest. Hillary Clinton was NOT her interest, but perhaps she saw something else in Clinton that led to her support–the prospect, perhaps, of a woman in the White House trumped the fact that Clinton would bring nothing to help Ms. de Rothschild's elite status. I wonder how she ended up in any DNC group though. Weird, that. I think it's safe to say that Ms. de Rothschild, like her peers in the upper 1%, fared quite well these past 8 years. I can't imagine that she would have wanted otherwise, and she undoubtedly voted Bush both elections, just as she's committed to Bush now.

20. Steve

How out of touch is this person? She thinks that Obama is elitist, and she's not?
    – She's married to Sir Evelyn Robert Adrian de Rothschild, an overgrown "playboy", born into wealth, who dropped out of Cambridge and spent his subsequent years playing polo and racing cars. He finally went into the family business "international banking" when his father died, and he took over.
    – She married her sugardaddy (23 years older) after being introduced to him by Henry Kissinger. She's wife #3.
    – She made millions in the telecom arena, but has never really held a real job in the industry
    – She is listed as an 'entrepreneur" but has never had a real job. She's an ex-corporate lawyer, who made her money by acquiring wireless licenses.
    – She's the CEO of a holding company, which basically means, she has other executives that are responsible for the real revenue stream.
    – She flits between London and NY, among other places, schmoozing with the beatiful people.

21. Chuck

Another "hockey" mom with the sense of a flea, or maybe she was just born again and is going to become a religious fanatic. Those could be the only two reasonable answers. Maybe stupidity.

22. Ken

Her husband is named "Sir Evelyn de Rothschild." These are the people that the term "elitist" was coined for. Is there a reason that the irony of her saying that she thinks Senator Obama is an elitist was not observed in the article?

23. rj

Why was she backing Hillary??? and why is she now backing someone 180 degrees apart from Hillary. Makes absolutely no sense. i guess it proves you don't have to be smart to have money. i think it just makes her look like an airhead. sort of like the vp candidate on the ticket she now backs.

24. Benjamin

I like this woman. Independent thinker and good judgment.

25. diana

Thats why I love being an independent nobody can call me names I vote for who I want and I give her credit for making her own way No matter what or who you are you have to vote for who think will keep America safe and that being my top piority I will vote for McCain

September 17, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62