September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. BB

Welcome! Wise Decision!!

September 17, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  2. Raoul

Yes a billionaire defecting to the Republican Party is such a surprise. Calling a self-made african american an elitist is beyond comprehension. Good riddance whoever you are.

September 17, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  3. Latifah Taormina

I agree with the person above who chided people for their vitriol and name-calling rather than focusing on the issues we face as a nation. I cannot support the party that turned our country into a war machine at the expense of our humanity, that squandered a huge financial surplus at the expense of our children's future, that made more millionaires than ever before while putting millions more in more poverty than every before, that put our planet in peril with "voluntary" regulations of carbon emissions, that crushed creativity and learning to think in schools in the name of testing for rote answers. (After all, the less educated the people are, the more gullible they will be as voters.) I cannot support the party that practiced and taught our young men and women in uniform to accept and use torture, corruption, deception, terror, and fear-mongering — all the tools of tyranny — in the name of "protecting our democracy." (And why is it that returning vets have the highest suicide rate ever?) McCain would nurture the "example of our power." I want the one who will, as Bill Clinton so brilliantly said at the convention, nurture the "power of our example." I will vote for Obama. If that translates to being elitist, then I'm all for it.

September 17, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  4. Traitor

Go back to London!

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  5. Sarah

Yes, Madam!
    You have no reason to support him. You will be of the top 1% who will pay more taxes.
    Good luck with McSame who promises less taxes for you to increase your fortune while we all continue to suffer

Another Liberman is showing up. You missed the GOP convention...

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  6. OBAMA the REAL Change

Another Rich woman that worries are not the economy, but agenda is to only to see any “white” woman in the White House, one that isn‘t qualified to be there. Another OLDER woman that will not have to listen to the Rebpubs tell her what to do with her old body. Years to have rights to make her own decision when it came to her body, AGE has a lot to do with her vote, as you can see. How can she say she was for Hillary, but now will back Obama. She isn't even worth wasting anymore time on. Let’s mover On to the IMPORTANT people, our daughters and their future....

Obama 08

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  7. Volker Pollmann

She says: “This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Just reading the article and learning about her, I wonder who the elitist is.

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  8. KLP

My first reaction was to burst out laughing. What a pompous attitude. And to dislike Barack for elitism....is unbelievable. Although I don't know Ms. de Rothschild and will never move in her circles, unless I wait on her or clean her house, my gut feeling is that she is a pampered princess who is having a tantrums because she didn't get her way. Seriously, I hope she is solidly rejected from the democrat party.

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  9. MJ

Huh? She's calling a guy who was raised on foodstamps elitist? I don't get it. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  10. Ray

She doesn't "like" Barack Obama? What in the world is so "likeable" about John McCain?

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  11. DEB C

WHO IS THE ELITIST HERE??????????? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  12. Sue

Welcome aboard to Mrs. Forrester de Rothschild and to all the Hillary supporters! Don't worry, you aren't the only one!

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  13. Lynn Ensley

Anyone not smart enough to pick Hillary Clinton for his running mate is not smart enough to be president. Anyone smart enough to come up with Sarah Palin is a genious considering all. I'm a lifelong DEMOCRAT!!!!

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  14. Dawna in Omaha

How appropriate for BANKERS to support the Republicans–expecting a bail out, perhaps?

September 17, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  15. Indie Voter in Nevada

to Dean in Florida...

You wouldn't have to worry about voting Obama in 8 years...

if we have McCain/Palin for even 4 there won't be a country left to govern... we are already going down the drain- you republicans are just going to try to give it the final flush while wrapping yourselves in the flag, playing Rove political games and making sure your bank accounts are stuffed good and fat...

WAKE UP AMERICA! You want to truly do something to save our nation? Vote Obama... any intelligent thinking human being would see there really is no other choice here!

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  16. Randy Smythe

You liberals are funny!

I think its funny that the party of inclusion and tolerance is the most exclusionary and intolerant.

Nothing is funnier than seeing a bunch of angry, bitter liberals attack their own.

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  17. vp

Lady Who?

They keep the honorary name such as "Lady" and "Sir" and still think they are not elitists. What a hypocrite!

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  18. Lesley

She travels between London and New York and calls Barack an ELITIST??

The Repubs can take her! who is this woman?

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  19. Ironic, Virginia

who's the elitist in this picture?

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  20. Really?

Barack Obama is an elitist?? What??
    Also, if Hillary is found to be behind any of this, watch out for the backlash...

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  21. MIKE chicago

All you people who calls yourself disappointed DEM and proposed following McCain you guys were never Dems including Lynch lol..or whatever are name is...she is one of the few Billionares who kows Obama is gonna make them feel the high taxes we average people has been feeling for 8 yrs. All of you guys including those who are giving McCain free ad time on cable (FOX news or sucks news...whatever) are more of same people that wouldnt want an average American to feel and enjoy the American dream. Last night on TV i saw one bitter Republican who has no understanding of anything blaming Bill for the AIG problem..Lou asked him a very good question sayin" Bill hasnt been president since 2000 Bush has and what happened in the last 8 yrs?

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  22. 82nd Airborne Division

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Obama-Great Mind:There is not a liberal America and a conservative America – there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America – there's the United States of America.
    Barack Obama

McCain-Average Mind:The first pork-barrel bill that crosses my desk, I'm going to veto it and make the authors of those pork-barrel items famous all over America.
    John McCain

rothschild- I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  23. V Oza

Seems like money talks .. how could a person disloyal to party be on platform committee? Even if your candidate does not win, as a democrat, may be you would abstain perhaps but going over to the other side by a person with her standing in the party shows total lack or commitment, principled stand and gives sucipicion that something else is triggering the action.

vo

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  24. Tim

She should talk about being an eletist! What's the matter – is he too uppity? She's a perfect model of a Republican – I'll bet she's been a secret W supporter all along and a spy at the DNC.

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  25. Mo

How in the world a woman with millions of money, married to a Knight, who "divides her time between New York and London" can call the son of a single mother an elitist? I mean what is she smoking?

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62