September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. righteousbrother

who?

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  2. Becky

Garbage.

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  3. OUBon

Why are sooo many people upset that Hillary got beat? She lost, fair and square. Had the shoe been on the other foot, 99% of the Obama supporters would of moved to Hillary's side the next day.

These people are just sore losers and probably wouldn't vote for a black man if he was running away, let alone for President.

We see your true colors shining through America......

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  4. Linda

I wonder what McBush promised her for her support. Her calling Obama elitest? What a hypocrite.

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. Liz

Why is it when someone says they don't like Obama they are a racist? Talk about playing the race card.

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. Sheri

Obama supporters are a sad group of people..........whine, whine , whine when someone voices the obvious about their Golden Child and when their not whining the cry racist.

September 17, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. Zach

Next sentence:

Jesus Christ.

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  8. Maggie VT

Who really cares!!! She isn't worth the "lipstick" she wears. Three more womens groups came out today to support Obama!!!!!

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. Rick

I don't know this lady, but when Colin Powell endorses Obama people will pay attention.

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  10. Mccain is a Liar

Who care She is another Bitter Hillary Supporter. Just in Obama is being endorsed by Women Groups across Country. Mccain is a liar and so is Palin they are trying to stop the investigation into the firing of that state trooper google troopergate and keating 5. The Mccain Campaign want to reform washington But Mccain can't even reform his VP. Palin is a Proven Liar it is now coming out that she said yes to another Bridge to Knowwhere that cost 600 Million.

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  11. Matt

Since when did she become the spokesman for who to trust?

Elitest? What is John McCain with his 4 HOUSES!?!?!! She should keep her trap shut, no one cares!

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  12. Sean

Elitist?
    Look at her pearl necklace.....

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. AJ

Yep, another $300K a pop dress wearer. She probably thought Hillary would show her companies favour after she was President (not true), but she's sure Obama won't. So she sells her soul to the highest bidder – the RNC.

Go ahead – join the Country Club First party. You're a natural.

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  14. Camilla

A Rothschild calling someone who grew up with a single mother working several jobs, then made their way up the chain an elitist!?

Besides from that, who cares – Also, makes perfect (human) sense that Rothschild go pour her money into the place where she will keep her tax cuts!

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  15. kimberly eiermann

I truelly believe that some democrats would rather switch to support john McCain than to vote a african american.. how sad.

September 17, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  16. Becky

Cincy Nurse, yeah vote for a woman candidate who will set women's rights back by decades... *rolling eyes*

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  17. Jake

I'm supporting Obama. Do a post all about me! Also, her husbands name is Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. If that doesn't say elitist I don't know what does. I guess I just have to accept the fact that some people are just stupid.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  18. repeatables

I am a 35 year old married stay at home mom of 2 toddlers that lives in Canada and we watch CNN from 4pm until 11pm every night. I’m not an American, I don’t get to vote, why am I doing this? Because we are pulling for you America, the world is watching and all of us except a few bad guys want too see a brighter future for the US. Not one person in Canada fears a medical problem whether it be an ear infection or cancer because of what it costs or worries if it is or isn’t covered by insurance. If I had to be the mom I am in the US and have these worries I’d be scared everyday and that thought sickens me that a country as wonderful as the US puts parents through this. That one issue alone would make me vote for Obama. Oh and by the way we laughed in shock when McCain said Bureaucrats would come between you and your doctor under a Universal Health Plan at his convention. That is a lie.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  19. Chris

YESS !!!!!
    Welcome aboard ...
    Though, I disagree with her use of the word 'elitist' in describing the Democratic nominee .. personally I prefer .. 'Empty Suit' .. but then .. each to his own

Mccain '08
    HRC '12

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  20. Paul S

When the DEMOs lose, at least they can convince themselves that the US didn't want a black president ... first, BO is not all black and it is his policies and chosen running mate that will help THEM lose. Despite the concerted efforts to the contrary, this race is not about race ... duh.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  21. Typical!

Just come out and say it, you won't vote for him because he isn't your color. That picture of her up there alone makes me think she is the real elitist!

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  22. DEEP

Shame on you traitors.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  23. maribel

A woman with a golden spoon in to her mouth. If she is a real democrat then she will back Obama for people, for change. This country is all about white and black and you can see it clear as the sky. She have money so she does not care about any change in this country.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  24. Paul from St. Paul

Elitism and personal wealth are not directly linked. Elitism is an attitude towards others in relation to yourself. Obama is an elitist and Rothschild has made an informed decision.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  25. GARY

America is seeing the real Obama. The media is keeping the real truth from the country. Many Americans are not as blind as they want us to be. Obama is just a dirty chicago con man.All you followers are his puppets. He has brought his supporters to hate. America dont need to elect a canidate with a following of haters. its been that way from the begining of this race. All talk but no show. There is a saying where Obama stands. What glitters is not always gold. Think about it.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62