September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Will from NYC

This one was in it for the prestige and keeping her money... she belongs with the GOP.

Money and racism.. the GOP mantra.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  2. Another Republican for Obama

She calls Obama an elitist, then goes to John McCain. Talk about a hippocrite.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  3. African American in Texas

Obama's campaign/supporters constantly accused Clinton of using the race card. They tried that lie on McCain; but he got everyone straight. That is totally hypocritical....everytime a non-Black person endorses someone other than Obama (especially if they are a Democrat) they have to be racist. But I thought this wasn't about race Obama supporters? You can't have it both ways. JUST STOP IT!!! People have the right to make their own choices regardless....stop trying to label/intimidate folks into supporting Obama. That is sooo weak and totally destroys the credibility of the reasons why one should support him. Furthermore, the term is being so wrongfully used that when someone needs help because of a true racist situation, folks will have the attitude of "here we go again".....

September 17, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  4. Larry Mac

Change?

I'd say that we got change without even electing Barack.

The govt. is taking over the capital markets as we type. That is not free market economics, that is a controlled economy..or what we used to call communism.

Guess what? the dems went way far left out of madness and the repubs went far right for greed, but the world is round and they met each other on the otherside.

5. M2

Elitist? She is kidding, of course. Ladies, is this someone you would want as a visitor in your house? She looks like she exchanges recipes and clothes with Cindy McCain.

Good riddance - I have voted for a lot of people I have not particularly liked - I thought we were supposed to vote for the best people for the job!

6. Not This Time!

Great news! Someone to hang out with Cindy on the campaign bus. Mr.McCain really loves those rich chicks....

7. JD

Folks are starting to come around to McCaina nd see through the Obama rhetoric. America needs a tough leader, not an eloquent game show host....

8. Anne

Yeah, Ms de Rothschild! So many of us agree with you but are claiming to be undecided to keep our poor dem friends out of therapy. You can bet we will be at the polls, though.

Puhleeze lose the racism thing – it is so yesterday (eg 'primary'). Obama has done nothing to indicate he will be even marginally competent in the White House. End of story; can't change history. He should have waited until 2012 but couldn't see past his immense ambition. Oh yes, I forgot that Michelle said they better do it now because in 2012 they would be in a different orbit – lol.

By the way, NOW endorsed Obama back in the primary, ticking off millions of Hillary supporters. It is the oldest of news.

9. Jenn

By definition being rich does not make you an elitist . Having the attitude that you are better than others and should be treated differently does. Obama has or portrays the attitude of being better than everyone else.
    Not voting for Obama and being a Hillary supporter does not make you a racist.
    I supported Hillary because I thought she could lead this country in the right direction. Although Obama shares(stole) her ideas, in my opionion he does not have the leadership qualities.
    Why is it your either a Democrat or a Rebublican, can't we as people pick the person that we believe to have good leadership quality's and vote for that person with out being called idiots or morons or uneducated because I don't want to vote for Obama nor do I want to vote for McCain, but I will be forced into voting for one of them.

10. Ed Wenger

She is just a stupid person. Does she not realize that the policies of Obama align much more with Clinton than those of McCain? She says she does not trust Obama, but McCain is the one who has been running ads that are blatent lies. Then when called on it and he has to deflect the question, he CONTINUES to run those same ads.

I'm amazed and bewildered at her stunning stupidity.

11. clare from Orlando

David...62

Have you not been looking at the TV. The issues are being told by Obama. If you have not made up your mind by now....then you need to get a new TV or you are looking at the wrong station.

12. PSU Student

She doesn't trust Obama... but John McCain has certainly proven himself trustworthy.

13. McSame

She's not voing for him because she does not like him... well I guess the well off dont think much about us at the bottom..... I am not voting for McCain not because I dont like him... but because our " world views" are different... some people need to get a grip... she supports John because she wants to keep her taxes low...... sucks but its the truth!.... only in the world of the ELISTISTS.......

14. m. doctor

I am wondering if RACE is the elephant in the room with her? I read her bio and She is the elitist. Oh, by the way, someone needs to take her DNC card!

15. Dem voting McCain

You all like to scream race, but look at the REAL reason people don't want to vote for Obama. Sure, some are just racists, but others have genuine reasons.
    1. First of all, he is a liar. He has made it clear that he only wants guns in the hands of police and military, and that he advocates for homeowners not to have guns anymore. CNN even had that posted on their "about the candidate page" during the primaries. Then, he goes to VA and tells people that he supports the 2nd amendment and doesn't want their guns.
    2. He is a snob. He did an interview for our local news and treated the anchor like crab. He was read, visibly inpatient, and entirely unfriendly. If he can't make time for rural America, I don't want him as my president.
    3. He is too liberal. He was voted the most liberal senetor in America. I've always been a democrat, but a moderate one. I am pro-choice, but only because I believe in state's rights and fear the consequences of overturning RvW. I will NEVER believe that late-term abortion or finishing off the survivor of an abortion is moral. Obama does.
    4. He has no experience! We are in the middle of a war and an economic downfall, and he has no clue how to deal with either one! This isn't the time for inexperience.

Believe it or not, I liked him before I got to know him. Once I started researching him and listening to him, I realized his is not the candidate for me.

September 17, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  16. Stupid is as stupid does!

Sure. He is an elitist because he doesn't have seven houses, he gives women a choice, you don't trust him and rather trust McCain or liar Palin. Oh yeah, did I mention that he's black?

17. Paul

A wealthy person calling Obama an elitist and supporting McCain is not news. She knows McCain/Bush will cut her taxes. She is an ignorant, myopic hypocrite. She does not like the pair of shoes she's being offered so she's cutting off her own feet. Moron.

18. Michael, watching from Canada

Lets state the obvious.

For some women, this election has absolutely nothing to do with issues important to Americans.......

this election is to get a woman into the White House.

The fact that she does not like Obama is a true reflection that her decision has nothing to do with issues!

Such a sad reflection of society.

19. Racist America

This proves that it is all about his skin color...
    Shame on you, Rothschild.

20. sue

This woman obviously is intelligent. I would have voted for Hillary, also – BUT OBAMA???? NO WAY!!! Keep him and Oprah out of our white house and let them stop belittling white women.

21. citizen

I am with her. She has brains and she cares for the country unlike many brainwashed Obama suppoters.

Wake up America!

22. pray2008pray

She must not truly support Clinton.....enough said!!!!!

September 17, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  23. AREU

When all you foolish people vote for McCain and YOU put this old tired and outdated man in office ... just watch the country's financial markets die, the health care system stall, and job loses mount

AND YOU FOOLISH PEOPLE WILL DESERVE WHATEVER YOU GET!!!!!

September 17, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  24. WOW

Yup.... Anyone who is against Obama is a racist...... God forbid someone disagrees with his polices... i'm sorry he has none... i meant to say disagrees with what he "says" his polices are..... I put "says" because he changes his mind all the time.....

September 17, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  25. Johnny

This is news? I missed the part that explained what she knows about ordinary Americans. I guess she was voting for Hillary solely because it was Hillary and not because of anything Hillary believed in.

September 17, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62