September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. snowhawk

I think this decision is so cool. Obama's experience would not allow him to be much more than a school crossing guard. Has he had a security background check like the ones conducted for the military members? I think not.

2. AmeriKa the beautiful for Obamanation

I am shocked that the Media and so many TRUE democrats do not see the despot in Obama.

All the signs of totalitarianism are there:
    Charismatic and rhetorical speeches to inspire the youth.

Calling on his supporters to go out and agitate hate and confusion on his behalf.

Devotees of Obama doing his bidding- as he instructs them to do with e-mails and texted messages.

Hitler had the same methods: Give people something to believe in, ask them to do something to HELP you and inspire them with carefully crafted ideology and rhetoric.

I mean look- 66 Million raised in one month- that is downright scary in such difficult economic times.

HOW MUCH MONEY AND RANTING FROM HIS VITRIOLIC THUG SUPPORTERS DOES OBAMA NEED- TO STEAL AND FORCE HIS WAY TO THE WOHITE HOUSE?

3. 2008Voter

You mean you're racist. You obviously aren't backing candidates on issues, or you would not be able to switch to McCain. You will always be remembered for that – disgraceful!

4. Dexter

BREAKING DOWN THE NUMBERS
    Here's how the average tax bill could change in 2009 if either John McCain's or Barack Obama's tax proposals were fully in place.
    MCCAIN OBAMA
    $19K-$38K -$113 -$892
    Under $19K -$19 -$567

Source:The Tax Policy Center

5. John in Va

So, what?

6. Ron

There are plenty of Republican voters changing sides also. Let's be real!!!

Also, I'd like to add, there are two things that Black people cannot be......Elitist and Racist....They are not empowered. You have to be empowered to be both. I wish that the REAL racists would stop using those words when referring to African Americans. Especially Obama. It doesn't even make sense "My father is Black and my Mother is white. I was partially raised by my WHITE grandmother, but I'm racist towards white people????" Seriously? Again, no empowerment.

7. William, from Cali!

Just more "Big money" following the trend to McCain and the Republicans..........when you "have money" ; it's wise to try to protect it, at all cost. Who says the White House ain't "for sale"?

8. Meggan

McCain can't remember how many houses he owns and someone named Rothschild who splits time between London and New York thinks Obama is elitist... How out of touch are these people?! I wish I could afford to VISIT London or New York, let alone live in BOTH!!

Not exactly the best choice of words, Rothschild.

9. what?

WOW!!!!
    Look who is calling Obama an Elitist?
    I am so sick and tired of racist white people?
    Please to all you white folks who do not want to vote for Obama just because he is black, just come out and say so!!!
    I get sick of all this racism!!!!!
    Go Vote for McCain and keep on

10. Elizabeth Henderson

She should be should be given a dictionary with the term elitist highlighted. It is evident by her comments that she is unaware of the definition of the term. If there was a photo example of the term her face was be chosen as representative of the term before Sentator Obama's would. Mrs. Rothschild should have the courage of her convicts and tell the truth and say that she isn't supporting Sentator Obama because he doesn't look like her and he doesn't meet the stnadards for what a narrow minded person like her thinks that the president of the should think.

11. Mike Mc

WOW! Barack was rejected by the globetrotting wife of someone in an aristocratic european banking family worth billions. What shall I ever do? Maybe Palin cut her a good deal on Alaskan salmon caviar, who knows.

I'll get back with you as soon as i figure out how I'm going to pay my mortgage this month.

12. Erik, IA

Awesome! She lost in the primaries with Hillary. Now she can lose in the election with McSame.

13. Emma

Who is she to call someone elitist? She is wealthy, makes over $5M and splits her time between homes. It sounds as if she is made for John McCain and his nine (9) homes!

Go figure. What do you mean you just don't like him? Another stupid rich white woman!

14. Tired of both of them

Frankly I don't want either of the major candidates. I used to be a democrat but the whining and bickering within the party gets old. I can't vote republican, I just can't. I think I'll vote for a third party, Bob Barr of the libertarian party. And for all the people who love to point out that voting third party is "throwing my vote away"...no, it isn't. Because if you poll American voters you'll find about a third are VERY dissatisfied with the choices we have in this election and the elections past. I for one will vote for who I want and what feels right instead of holding my nose like I have in past elections and voting for a major party...just because I don't want "the other guy" in charge of the country.

15. Roberta

Funny that this woman thinks HE is an elitist... certain people are so shameless... she's good for a new reality tv on Bravo – and hopefully, there is where she's gonna end...

16. Jim

If she can switch so quickly and easily keeping in mind the vast differences between Obama and McCain than she is either having an emotionoal meltdown, or seeking retribution because of HIllary's loss.
    Only the weather changes that radically so quickly....

17. Anonymous

Why is this woman on the DNC platform committee?!

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. Mary L

Do any of these people realize that they are running the risk of putting a woman in the White House ahead of Hillary, who is the woman who deserves that position?!
    That really shows their support for her, doesn't it?

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  19. Sara

The things is, she can support anyone she wants with any rationale she wants. But to use the base of her decision being that Obama is "elitist' when she is the utter definition of the word does McCain no favors. The fact that she can't define her position but is using such a trivial point reinforces my confidence in Obama's position.

Beyond the Palin hoopla of late, McCain does not have anything left to stand on. If that last eight years have taught us anything, it is that a campaign's strategy can be very indicative of the type of government that person will run. No more smoke and mirrors, please!!! It's time for an adult discussion in this country about what actually matters!!!

OBAMA / BIDEN '08

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  20. Sam

An owner of a company calls Obama elitist.

nuff said.

Obama '08.

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  21. GC from Virginia

Ha, Cincy Nurse – "Don't let the news or the view fool you." By that she means "don't let the facts get in the way of your hate." Typical sentiment from these PUMA folks who would rather see someone else children die in Iraq, would rather see millions of Americans lose their jobs, would rather see gas prices double, than vote for the person who beat their first-choice candidate. They're not racists, they're just selfish.

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  22. New Day

meh, is it really an issue? A rich, smug elitist backing McCain; what else is new?

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  23. Will-ex-Hill

All McCain needs is a very small of supporters like these. I am a Hillary supporter but I am disgusted with the DNC. I also share similar opinion on Obama.
    Democrats will lose and Hillary 2012!

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  24. Chris S.

Another RICH PERSON WHO WAS IN THIS RACE FOR PERSONAL GAIN. IM GUESSING MCCAIN PROMISED YOU THE SAME THINGS HILLARY PROMISED YOU. ITS GOOD TO KNOW THAT BARACK DONT HAVE SHADY PEOPLE LIKE THIS ON HIS TEAM.GO BACK TO LONDON BECUASE FRANKLY DEMOCRATS DONT LIKE YOU.

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  25. jack

This probably has more to do with Obama's questionable credentials on our Middle East policy. The Rothchilds, like many successful Jews, fled persecution at the hands of anti-semitic continental Europeans for pluralistic anglo societies like the U.K. and U.S. Because Obama likely represents a sea change in our alliance with Israel it would be foolish for any Jew, or anyone pro-Israeli, to support him.

September 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62