September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. jackson

Obama? Rothschild? Who's the elitist here? Why don't you help Hillary Clinton retire her campaign debt instead of helping to elect a man who will certainly not do America any good as President.

2. Mike

Who cares what her personal feelings are for OBAMA, if she thinks that McCain stands for women rights like OBAMA does, if she thinks that the Economy is strong, SHE IS OUT OF TOUCH WITH AMERICANS!!

SHE IS OUT OF TOUCH WITH AMERICANS AND SHE DOESN'T GET IT!!

HOW MANY HOUSES DOES SHE HAVE?????

3. Marcus

All these people who are here posting McCain/Palin 08 and Clinton 12, I honestly don't think you're racist. No really.

I do think you're sexist. Everytime I talked with Hillary supporters, all I hear from them is "Time for a woman to be president". OK, I see that, I agree, but why should that win my vote? Hillary shares absolutely nothing in common with McCain except they've both been in the Senate longer than Obama, and Hillary shares nothing in common with Palin except they both are female. This leads me to believe that Hillary supporters who don't support Obama are just plain sexist; there, I said it.

4. LWT

I can understand someone not voting for Obama because policy differences. Might even be able to understand not voting for him because you're not comfortable with his race (as long as you are honest about it). But give me a break with the "elitist" stuff when your name is Lynn Forester de Rothschild and you are "the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world...married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild... and splits her time living in London and New York." Compare her life with his for the past 20 plus years and his upbringing with hers, then tell me who the elitist is. Yes, please give me a break. Lynn Forester de Rothschild, you are just as sore loser. Simple as that.

5. ran

This is just another clear reason we need Obama/Biden and only other Democrats elected this time.

Hillary Clinton will Never Never Never become POTUS.

6. Phillybits

Lol. Obama's the elitist yes this woman is married to someone who's name starts 'Sir' and splits her time between London and NY.

Black is white, up is down, and this lady is a looney as the day is long.

7. Nick

"There is no logic in being a woman and moving from Hilary Clinton to John McCain."

These women were the type of women who sought revenge when their high school sweet heart dumped them. Bitter bitter women who can't handle it when things don't go their way.

The way I see it... this process is weeding out real Democrats from the phonys.

You're right... there is no logical reason to go from Hillary to McCain.

8. Elitist?

"Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York."

This person, LADY FORESTER DE ROTHSCHILD, calls Obama an elitist? What a JOKE!!! McCain can have the support of this hypocrite! Birds of a feather flock together...

9. Scott

I want these people to define what they mean by elitist? Its simply crazy to call Barack an elistist. He came from nothing, went to Harvard on scholarships, and was a community organizer. How is that elitist. I don't get it. Sounds to me like she doesn't have her hands in Obama's pockets and that makes her bitter? Perhaps she could or her spokesperson could pontificate more for us about what she means by elitist while jetting between N.Y. and London? i definitely don't want to sit down and have a beer with her.

10. chris

I am with her...I supported Hillary but now I am going to vote for McCain with Sarah Palin in the picture.

11. shanel

Can't stand to see this guy win. You know he's not typical. He can't play basketball. Maybe, just maybe he can turn this country around. As for lack of experience, he can't do any worse that the folks in office with all the experience.

Lots of double standards. Obama needs to let the crying, sore looser Hillary fans know that she and Bill will be in the mix of things. Also, Hillary really shot herself in the foot during the primaries. She was more crule to Obama than the republicans.

Obama/Biden 08...

12. T.

I hope that all those voting for Mr. McCain and Palin will accept the blame when this country collaspes from incompetent leadership.

Perhaps Ms. Rothschild would be happier if Obama was more like Clarence Thomas, a totally mindless yes man willing to sell his soul for a party that does not represent people that look like him. It seems to be all about money with Rothschild. Goodbye and good riddance Ms Rothschild.

13. CT from Chi-Town

Wow! Why would a multi-millionaire decide to shift from the "Democratic" dynasty-family to the Republican days after one of the worst economic crisis in our country's history? Could it be because he's going to raise her taxes!!

14. Sandy

Cindy Nurse....would you mind explaining...briefly...why someone who supported Clinton (hell, any Clinton) could actually vote for McCain. Neither Obama or Clinton were my first choice, but I knew that the platform of the Democratic party is more aligned with my beliefs. Perhaps, that isn't the case with you. McCain or Palin (considering McCain's age and previous health issues) will appoint at least two supreme court justices...Roe v. Wade will be gone...The separation of church and state will disappear...the economy will continue to favor those who have...America will look like it did during the Gilded Age...We'll be the New Mexico..Are you that bitter and petty? Where exactly do Obama and Clinton differ on policy? As I recall...only on their health care plans. If that's true...why McCain?

15. NG

Her first husband is now dating Ann Coulter. How ironic, as Coulter said she'd vote for Clinton if McCain were the nominee. In fact Lynn looks like Coulter albeit a bit healthier. The notion that the wife of a knighted international banker can call Obama elitist is laughable. If you are a Democrat unite behind the candidate. If you vote for McCain as a registered Democrat, you should wear a scarlet letter, a "T" for traitor.

16. dan

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny, all you Obama supporters who dimiss anyone who supports McCain as a racist. Is it just possible for you to wrap your mind around the concept that people might not agree with your chosen candidate for reasons related to his positions, lack of experience, etc. just as you disagree with McCain for his positions, time in Washington, etc.. I dont support Obama just like I dont support Ted Kennedy, both are liberal, government is your savior believers. In case you havent seen a picture of the 2 side by side and read about there backgrounds they come from completely different backgrounds and one is white and the other is bi racial. I dont see how not wanting to vote for Obama the same as I would never vote for Kennedy makes me an ignorant racist. You wonder why people think you are elitists it has to do with the way you dismiss anyone who disagrees with you are an ignorant, uneducated racist.

17. Go Obama!

"I don't like him"! Wow what a great reason to not vote for someone! Just simply say because he "black". How can you personally dislike someone that you don't even know?

18. Francesca

I don't get it ... There are big differences between Senator Clinton and Senator McCain. How is it that your values closely align with what Senator Clinton stands for on one day and then a few months later they align with Senator McCain? Sounds like she's not very committed to her values.

19. Latino for Obama

Who cares what she is doing? This is not about her, this about those that are loosing their homes and seeing their future vanish. She is lucky she lives between London and New York; some people don't even have a place to live.

Obama / Biden '08

20. Epifaness

Fashionboyny...You said t! Just as Hillary had 18 million votes, BO has 18 million plus supporters who will never vote Hillary into office if she sabotages him in any way. SO all of you jumpers of ship.,,your candidate lost get over it and get behind your party's candidate!

21. RAY IN NJ

Ms. Forester says: “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.” She certainly has the right to vote for whomever, but this is indicative of what we African-Americans face in the boardroom everyday in America. In other words, if you carry yourself with confidence and intelligence you become "elitist" – another word for "uppity". We must act in a way so we're liked and trusted, where we must be acquiescent in every way so we're not threatening to anyone. Ms. Forester's position is an exercise in immaturity where she is allowing her personal ambivalence and animosity to cloud her judgement on what's best for the future of America. If you were for Hillary, how in the world could you support McCain – exact opposites? It can only be personal!

22. Fenarkleman

This lady promises to pay off every American's credit card debt! Yea!

It's true! It's true!

23. T.

24. Quang Tran

I want to say for a long time. He can talk like the communist but there will be NO action. He will promise any thing that you want to hear .. For those out there think this is about black and white. Please look at yourself again If Obama is not black. Will he get this far?Hillary Clinton is far more qualify than Obama .... lol

25. Not surprised

You know that the Rothschilds were instrumental in the African slave trade (just read the book!).

September 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62