September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Phil

Haha, I love it. For those saying, "Another rich person..," if I am not mistaken, a lot of rich people helped to raise $9 for Obama the other day at this $30,000 a ticket banquet given by Streisand.

2. EJ in Texas

let the doorknob hit you where the good Lord split you, lady. I guess you didn't pay much attention to Sen Clinton's speech did you? Don't worry, we don't need your kind anyway. Get lost.

3. Not your normal campaign

I am a Black Female.. If Obama looses, I will not vote for Hillary in 2012.. Because of all this Hate. Many Black Americans feel the same way I do.

4. Steve M.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the posts that scold Ms. Forester(and anyone else wh "jumps ship") for her lack of allegiance to Hillary, or the Democratic Party, and at the same time, insist that she is not concentrating on the "issues" and that she has just made a "personal decision" not based on the "facts." Which should determine my vote then, belief in a candidate, or Party loyalty. You cn't have it both ways. Posts continue to refer to Obama's "plans" and "policies" but he has not clearly defined how he hopes to accomplish ANY of these. Face it, he's like a non-alcohol beer: Looks like the real thing, but there's really nothing there. The truth is, most of you Party-Loyal Democraps cannot and will not vote outside the beloved Party, no matter what the issues, nor the consequences. If Stalin was alive and running as a Dem, he could count on you. Sad...truly sad.

5. Sue in MI

Anyone changing sides to vote for the liars (can either one of them say more than two sentences without lying?) is cutting off their nose to spite their face. This country will not be around after 4 years of McCain and his sidekick. The economy will be taken over by the Chinese, McCain will have bombed Iran and started a nuclear (not nucular, Sarah) war, and the USA will be no more. So please check FACTCHECK.org and make sure that you really want to make a statement to the DNC by voting for deception and further trampling of the Constitution. These people will say anything and do anything to be elected. Tell me one positive ad McCain has run that didn't mention Obama? I can think of several Obama ads that are about HIS vision. McCain, like Bush, has no vision. But hey, it's a free country. I do wish you'd keep it free and democratic for my grandchildren though.

6. Hitler Youth for Obama

The democrats and the DNC and the Obama machine will rue the day they decided to bully and threaten their way into installing Obama as nominee of the party.

This election is the most important in generations.

But TRUE believers in democracy will never allow HE who subverted the democratic process to force his way to victory.

Obama is a demagogue who inspires the youth in the precise way that previous charismatic dictators have.

We do not want blind allegiance and unquestioning loyalty to ANY man.

7. David

Hey Mr. Ears...your troops are abandoning you!

8. Chris in Michigan

You feel like he is an "elitist"???

I feel like you are a jaded, me-first, country-second, issues-third stupid person who would vote against their own interests because their petty feelings are hurt.

GROW UP.

9. nancymeridetn

How odd, a Rothschild calling Obama an elitist. That is like the pot calling the kettle black.

10. mark

Oh wow, imagine that- another bitter female Clinton supporter- "hell hath no fury...."

September 17, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  11. sarah palin just talking about the same old if shes qualifier why not takin a question from the reports

angry ma barack will win with you no doubt you just dont like him because you never going get a husband like him so make sure also hilarry wil lose her senat seat peace barack will dont need your vote to win in november ! peace

12. HokieRick

Barak H. Obama does not have the experience to be President. He displayed that inexperience when he picked JB over Hillary for VP. Many Hillary supporters are making the same choice as this lady. That is why the battleground states are swinging toward McCain.

13. MizuInOz

I have been paying attention since Eisenhower became president – I was a wee lad but I saw the political games then and see them very well now.

Let's see – Cindy McSame wears a $350,000 outfit to the pre-coronation event called the acceptance speech for the nomination at a convention the siting President wasn't even welcome – oh, right – Ike command center stuff! – and here is a woman who is a part of the most elitist cabal in the world and she is being uppity! I believe she cannot understand normal thinking.

To vote for the continuation of all of the failures of the last 8 years and to endorse the rabid fundamentalism of the almost president out of vindictive spite is deplorable! As a woman in the Democratic party, you truly support the reversal of R vs W? You believe it is our sacred responsibility to annihilate those with whom we do not agree? If so, may God/Goddess help us!

14. DB - Colorado

Obama an elitist?! Look who's talking. Another silly women giving up her rights to the GOP! Take off your shoes and head back to the kitchen!!! Wake up, ladies!!!

15. Ken in NM

She is so disgusting to me...

16. Ralph sigona

A logical desition

17. Donald Winston-Day

She's a CEO of a company and married to an international banker, yet she calls Obama an elitist. Go figure...

18. Tom

BINGO!!! and the American people are starting to see right through him!!!
    IT's ALLLLLLL OVER BABY!!!!!!

19. djdigdoug

I find it absolutely amazing that those who obviously ARE elitists, go around calling Obama an elitist. This woman and her husband are worth nearly $400 Million. They split their time between homes in London and Manhattan. Enough said.

20. ej

She should know a lot about elitists. She will be taken off of the Democratic National Committee for her action.

21. Ahmad

Some people no matter how they argree with another person in theory will just become reckless voters. To risk our future over spilled milk is sad and some people need to grow up. She is the Joe Liberman of fundraising.

22. Jon

Wow!!!

23. Joy Remson-Johnson

I was a Hillary supporter not as a woman voting for a woman, but as a Democrat who values the Democratic platform, therefore I will be voting for Obama. If she is not backing Obama based on frivolous things, than I say good riddens to her, because she is not the kind of supporter any Democratic needs. How dare she call herself a Democrat, just stay in London and move on. As for the elitist comment, Hello, she splits her time between two continents. She is the epitome of an elitist. She enjoys a since of entitlement that the average American will never, so someone please hand her a reality check and a dictionary fast.

24. G. Carlson

I changed sides for much of the same reasons...and yes, anyone who has very little experience and claims to have better judgement then anyone else is certainly and elitest. That's what turned me off to Obama...plus the Presidential seals...the premature discussions with foreign governments and more......hmm....seems pretty elitist to me.

...and I'll tell you what – although my initial reaction was negative, Sarah Palen certainly is a step UP for women...only the difference is that she is being a real woman and lady instead of trying to be more like her male counterparts in government. Heh, we don't see her wearing pantsuits, do we? Oh well...we'll see Hillary in '12...oh, happy day....

25. Brian

If Obama was white this race would have been a Land-slide. I'm talking That old dinosaur wouldn't even be in the same area code. We've obviously made great strides in this country, but it's also painfully obvious that many can not and will not see Obama past the color of his skin, No matter how intelligent and capabe he appears or who's on the ticket with him, And not only does this sadden me, I don't think I'll want to ever take part of this "process" ever again. The way Obama has been treated while he's had to suck up and cowtow and still smile has made me wanted to cry on several occasions. :(

September 17, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62