September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Janice Johnson

I'm not rich, however a small businesswoman and was supporting Hillary – and I would not vote for Barak Obama if someone gave me a million dollars.
    It has nothing to do w/race as I was hoping for Colin Powell to run for Pres in 2000 and 2004 – it's about Obama's record....take the time to secure a list of his votes in the Chicago and the very slim record he has in Washington.
    Janice Johnson
    Woodbury, Mn

September 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  2. Mia-Stafford

If she decides to take questions someone please ask her what policies of John McCain does she support?

If I didn't like Barack Obama and couldn't bring myself to vote for him, there is no way in the world I could bring myself to vote for someone who policies are against everything I believe in.

God Bless her, I'm sure she will be great no matter who wins. If only we all were billionaires.

September 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Joshua College Station Texas

She's really upset because she falls within that group that makes over $250,000 and is going to get taxed more. Poor baby.

September 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  4. Mike C

Uuuummmmm WHO'S the elitist here? Woman please...

September 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  5. Shanna

How selfish of her to put the United States future at stake just because she has some personal dislikes against OBAMA. If she supported the views of Hillary she should support the views of Obama. Simply Stated.

September 17, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  6. kb

are you kidding, with a last name of Rothschild, this woman has the nerve to call Obama elitist? she doesn't like him? way to make decisions on the issues.. history will show that Obama was the victim of racism more than any female candidate has been the victim of sexism.

7. Bob

If you seriously believe the McSame/Failin ticket will bring "change we need," I'd love to have some of whatever you're smoking. The Republicans are the party that wrecked America.

Repeat that after me: Republicans Are the Party That Wrecked America.

8. Samantha

We are all talking about experience. We forget that most of our greatest leaders of the history of earth made a movement or made a change without experience. For example, look at the Rev Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. He beleive something was true in his heart and made a movement and made a change that will forever change our of our lives. Did he have experience. Look at Jesus Christ and Moses, they believed in something that is true to their heart and look what happen christianity is a huge on earth. You can go on and on how many leaders of the history of earth had made a change in all of our lives. Great leaders all is a character you are born with. Something burning in your heart that is true and you believe you can make a change. Some true leaders have special talent to make people work together and make a win for all. Believe that change may be on its way. Could it be Barack...maybe....

9. Steve, New York, New York

Ahhh – someone else who wants to stoke a gender war.

With Fannie, Freddie and now AIG under government hands, why don't you ask McCain how he intends to pay for any tax cut, Miss Money Bags???? Do you also have 7 houses?

10. how now brown cow

a ROTHSCHILD is calling Obama elitist?

11. Say what?

Who is this woman and why do we care?

She never truly believed in Clinton if she could switch to McShame because they are two completely different politicians with different policy views, ethics, and morals. She's jumping ship to a loser. Good riddens.

12. Dave in Albuquerque

A Rothschild accusing a former food stamp kid of being an elitist. How rich, if you'll pardon the expression.

13. Liz

Obviously this person was not voting for the issues. To her, it's all a popularity contest. She may as well be voting for high school superlatives.

14. Cheryl

This woman would certainly know the meaning of "elitist". She likely sees its best representation every morning when she looks in the mirror. Go ahead and let her join the McCain liars. By the way, how many houses and credit cards does she have?

15. Jose Maria

This is very simple, McCain/'08 Clinton'12. I can't wait until Hillary get to be president, after the Dems when all crazy for Nobama , '12 is our only hope for a brighter future.

16. BBL- BOSTON

WHO CARES.........................NO ONE

17. Vannucchi

So.. how much money is she gonna make for her self out of this?

18. Brandi

All of you who were once Democrats (so you called yourself) and supported Hillary really do not understand the issues or know who you are if it's so easy for you to change sides. Sounds sexist and racist to me. I'm just calling it what it is. It's people like you who aid in the on-going suffering of so many Americans. And what sense does it make to vote for McCain in '08 then say you will vote for Hillary in 2012??? Seriously, that's ridiculous. That goes right back to the first statement I made. Wake up and pay attention.

19. Expostfacto

The fact that someone that is an elitist herself calls someone else an elitist is ridiculous. Add her to the list of LYING Republican surrogates.

20. THE COSMOS ROCKS

»GREAT NEWS!....Aaaaah!...I knew it!....The WONDERFUL SarahPalin will be the next Vice-President and the GREAT man John McCain the new President. »YES!

21. Andy

Use your brains people. If McCain/Palin win this election there might not be an America in which to vote after 4 more years, let alone one in which to vote for Clinton in 2012. It's really sad people are that stupid.

22. Tricia

Lady de Rothschild, along with her British husband, are extremely wealthy and own numerous homes in England and other parts of the world. I believe Lady de Rothschild spends the majority of her time in England and quite possibly pays no (or a substantially reduced) US income tax (she's another loophole). This is nothing more than a personal vendetta against Obama which amuses the Lady.

23. Scott NYC Independent

Some would rather follow McCain to the gate of hell for Bin Laden (where he isn't), weather financial ruin and suffer the lose of liberty in the form of pro-life than follow Obama into a period of green energy, stablity with the world and economic recovery.

24. Vicki

The rich are getting nervous!!!

25. BJ

Let's forget about race and gender and talk about party allegiance. I don't think anyone signed a dotted line in blood stating that because I voted democratic in the past that I will for my entire life. I know many blacks who are raised in the church and do not believe in abortion who have been taught by our parents that we must be democrats. I believed that for most of my life until I started to open my eyes. Tradition is one thing and doing what you believe is right is another. So this crap about how can someone vote for McCain/Palin if they were a true democrat does not work. Be true to yourself and not to a party.

September 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62