September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. shay

How Disgusting ! I'm not playing the race card folks but this is an outrage ! As An American who happens to be a women /who happens to be Black I'm tired . How dare this still go on. If Obama was a white man we would not be going through this. With this economy it would be a landslide. How is it that blacks support white candidates for years with no question and black candidates are not taken serious. Here now for the first time we have one that's the nominee ,intellegent and we call him elite. Why blacks can't be educated? To say you don't relate is to say he doesn't look like me. How many people want you local grocery store clerk, Mailman, Teacher , Waitress at your local pub to have the most important job in the country ? Lets be real think about your future and children.

September 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. Hillary supporter 4 Obama

Something is not right with this woman. Its apparent that she is not for Hillary based solely on the policies, issues, and improvement of America. I would respect her more if she said, "I don't like Obama because of his view on abortion, tax-breaks, or etc." But to not vote for him because you don't like him is beyond me. As a democrat, I didn't like Kerry in 2004, but I darn sure voted for him in comparison to Bush. I know some people don't like to talk about race and that's fine. But when will we realize the big gorilla in the room? If your not for Hillary's policies, then what are you for overall. The real question should be what are you against ??

September 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. Marc

This woman calling Mr. Obama an elitist. She splits her home between Europe and the States and has god knows how much jewelry on her and is married to a sir ... and she is a Rothchild. Hey lady, look in the mirror.

September 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  4. Benjamin Columbus, OH

The wonderful aspect of our Democracy is that my vote counts just as much as hers.

As a matter of fact, it counts a little more because my vote in Ohio means alot more to Sen. Obama than her vote in New York does for Sen. McCain.

People like this have self-destructive personalities and fail to realize that Sen. Clinton's best chance to ever occupy the Oval office is to do EVERYTHING that she can to make sure that Sen. Obama is elected this November.

If he is not elected, Sen Clinton's future presidential aspirations will be negatively affected by the actions of these PUMA's. I hope it doesn't come to this.

September 17, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  5. American ThinkTank

That Lynn Forester de Rothschild said: “This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him.” ....I don't like him....Mmhhhhhhh!! What is it which is deep down inside her which makes her not to like him? You can simply infer....nothing more nothing less

She is simply Sean Hannity in a dress? According to her...she would rather vote for McCain who is bad policy-wise than vote Barack Obama who is good..And why is that....."She can't frankly like him"

Is that enough reason not to vote for a man?

This racism – quite awake and alive! Let this presidential race expose racism for the world to see>>>>And let McCain be the President. He will help America.

6. Elliott Miles

So.

7. Merle

Good for her...im McCain-ocrat...the 18 million who voted for Hillary need to back McCain......GO MCCAIN!

8. Anonymous

I wonder if Hillary will have a resonse to this. She and Bill are strangely absent from this contest.

Got their eyes set on 2012, I suspect.

9. abc

Check out the pearls! And Obama is the elitist?

What a joke.

10. Josue Fantoni

Good for you!!! I supported Hillary Clinton as well, and I now I support John McCain. Barack Obama is inexperience, a good orator, but that's about it. We need someone with experience and who truly deserves the trust of the American people. Barack Obama is not reliable, unpatriotic and a novice next to John McCain.

11. welches, oregon

Of course she in – she's rich. This doesn't affect her or her wealth.

Ridiculous article CNN.

12. Jordan, Raleigh NC

Oh mon dieu mes enfants. Mme de Rothschild can really spot the elitists among us. It is to laugh, n'est pas?

13. Maggie

Oh my gosh. Who cares? Really CNN? REALLY? This country is going down the tubes and you focus on this nonsense. Holy cow, I'm gonna have to watch C-Span and PBS for my news now. This is ridiculous. I am so sick of the main stream media.

14. Irene

This is nothing more than a case of the pot calling the kettle BLACK......

15. Sandy, from Phoenix, Arizona

Of all the candidates that have come and gone, I would say he is one of the few I wouldn't care if I met personally. However, I vote for the person I think would be the best president at the current time and the one who's views are most like mine. Of the two left, Obama is the one I currently feel would be the best choice. And, yes, I did vote for Clinton. When she left the race, I looked at who was left and then made my choice. I have also consistently voted for McCain as my Senator.

16. Democrats for McCain

And so the exodus away from Obama begin ........at last.

Barack Obama and all Americans should heed the words of Oscar Wilde – "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."

John McCain has served this country with distinction; he is loyal; he is honest; he is strong in the face of he enemy; he will protect us and our families; and he will work with both sides of the aisle on the pressing agenda items of our day. This man will likley run a single term, and as God is my witness I believe he will do absolutley the best for our country without regard to race, gender, or politics.

17. Aaron

Good to have the salt of the earth Rothschilds, real common, blue-collar working folk, as lookouts for elitist politicians. What's next? Ken Lay excoriating Congress for being greedy? Bill Gates accusing the Senate of being a bunch of geeks? Maybe Paris Hilton can ream out the Supreme Court for being vapid.

Pot, meet kettle.

18. patman

Demorats are bashing a prominent party figure who gave her time and money to help their cause, but who saw through the hype and couraged- up.

You Democrats are a shameful lot.

19. Ghost

Well, I have a question for all you who say you don't know Obama or don't know what he stands for. At this point, do you know what McCain stands for? More to the point, are you really thinking about this country?

McCain's policies are troubling to those who aren't making 5 million a year. He supported bailing out Bear Sterns, but said those that were about to lose their homes that they were SOL (sh!t outta luck). Now he suddenly is against helping out AIG? Maybe they didn't give enough to his campaign. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Not to mention that if you are really against Obama due to experience, Pallin has even less, no matter what you think about an 18 month govenor. She has barely left the state, and Alaska is more an island off on it's on that a template for the average American lifestyle. She scares me more than McCain does.

20. Carla

Obamabots mistakenly believe "elitism" is confined to wealth.
    Obama's arrogance is a turnoff to many voters and NO – "uppity" has never been confined to the color of ones skin.
    But Obamabots continue playing that Race Card....

21. THE COSMOS ROCKS

»GREAT NEWS!...WELCOME to the WINNING Ticket/Team(McCain/Palin) Aaah!....AWESOME NEWS!!...Aaah!

22. David in Florida

lol what a joke! Loyality to the party means nothing to some of you people. I guess some of you who are/were only voteing for a woman and are now changeing sides don't see the sexism!!!

Womans rights – It's still no ones bussines on aboration!
    Economy – How many more jobs must be lost under the republicians?
    Oil – The rich get richer and the morons change sides!
    Food prices, global warming, etc etc etc...Some of you are to blind to see, you would sell your sole just to see a woman in the White House, to bad people like you can vote! A woman president one day! YES...but no mcbush no mcpalin.

September 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  23. Walter

Just like in the 1960s and the dawn of the Civil Rights movement, we had to clean house and get rid of so-called Democrats/Dixiecrats who were against change then and who eventually became members of the modern day Republican Party. Change is upon us again and as a democracy, we have to do the same thing again.

People/Democrats who weren't for real change and who are now realizing how much they're really against it within their "own party" are now realizing how similar their views and opinions are like that of the Republican Party.

This house cleaning takes place every 30 to 40 years where we have to make sure that as a party we have to make sure that we have real democrats leading our party and our nation. Rarely do we see this reversal of political views of Republicans who eventual become Democrats.

This isn't something new, but something we should expect and acknowledge. Change is not merely a word but an action that some will embrace while others will refute and reject. It's that simple.

September 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. The Fab One

Another Clinton turncoat who doesn't get her way. Go figure. If ever there was a candidate for the sterilization of idiots, it would definitely be this stupid woman. Lynn, you're a moron. I wonder if she's still in the good graces of the Clintons if she helps McCain win?

GO OBAMA!!!

September 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  25. Elvis Lennon

The press needs to stop taking the bait on these releases. This is a non-issue yet it gets a top spot on the headlines. This is a useless person. If she was a strong Hillary supporter, there is NOTHING in the McCain-Palin ticket that would match her policies or view.

This jet-setting person calling Obama an elitist is not worth the space she has received. Please news media, stop covering these diversionary things....You are playing into the hands of a campaign that openly hates you for daring to question.

September 17, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62