September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. NC Jan

Who cares! Here is one FORMER registered republican who will be voting for Obama/Biden in November! McCain is the elitist mudslinger.

I'm certain this won't get posted as none of my comments ever do but I feel better knowing I tried!!!!

September 17, 2008 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  2. KMAN

A woman with the name of 'Lynn Forester de Rothschild' and her husband goes by 'Sir Evelyn de Rothchild" says Obama is an elitist ... now that's funny!

September 17, 2008 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  3. wishing

In a recent interview, Forester was asked on why she is voting for Hillary Clinton: "I think if history is our guide, we've had stronger economies, more wealth creation, under Democratic presidents than we have under Republican presidents."

September 17, 2008 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  4. Ronda

Lynn Forester de Rothschild is obviously a racist. Since everyone who even questions Palin is a sexist, this is the only conclusion I can draw :-)

Ironically, voting for someone just because there is a female on the ticket is sexist, just as voting against someone based on their gender or race is discrimination. Although this may not be the case here, it is too bad that this actually drives some people's vote.

But it is all our right to vote our will. Don't lose your power, vote in this election!

September 17, 2008 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  5. Paul

NO, You're DISTASTEFUL!!!!!!! McCain's the Elitist......smart move, Lady! GO BACK TO LONDON AND DO US ALL A FAVOR AND STAY THERE!!!!

September 17, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  6. Western Voter

A CEO of a large corporation who "splits her time living in London and New York" is voting for McCain...I am soooo surprised!

Sen. Clinton must take some blame for this continuing saga of her supporters publicly expressing unhappiness with Obama. She stayed in the race far too long, got far too vitriolic in her anti-Obama rhetoric failed to remove herself gracefully from th VP running and let doubts linger while some of her more irrational supporters frothed.

Even today, she continues to dance around the issue that McCain has chosen a dangerously unqualified candidate to be a 72 year-old heartbeat away from actually running this country during a most crtitical time in history.

Women who vote for McCain-Palin need to remember...elections have real life consequences. Have your say but remember...the GOP ticket is NOT going o make your life better...nor your children's.

September 17, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  7. Mick

It says a lot when a prominent Democrat sees that the party's candidate is unqualified and not trustworthy.

At least this is one Democrat who sees the light and isn't afraid to endorse the candidate who IS experienced for the role of President.

MCCain COUNTRY '08

September 17, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  8. Mike, Raleigh

This is exactly how most of other 18 million Hillary supporters feels it.. Thank You Forester for your stand.

September 17, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  9. Shannon

She is righit she doesn't like him. She never did like him. Also, she was never going to vote for him, why should she? She rich and she is is a racist. A woman like that would never have voted for a black man/or woman. BE HONEST LADY.

September 17, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  10. Jonathan

I think more people would find a baroness to be more elitist, but I could be wrong

September 17, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  11. Kathy

I know virtually nothing about this woman. What I do know is that she was a member of the Democratic National Committee's Platform Committee, is the CEO of an international business, is married to an international banker, and divides her time between London and New York.

This is no "average woman," and she probably doesn't have the first idea what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck in this day and age. Yet she's calling Obama elitist?

Sounds like the adult version of sulking or a temper tantrum to me.

Why should I, an average person, care what this woman thinks? The only people who really would care are political candidates who need her to raise money.

September 17, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  12. Lauren

she was never a demo anyway trader!!!!!!

September 17, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  13. connie

I feel like he is an elitist.

She is a CEO and splits her time between London and Washington.

She should know one when she sees one!

September 17, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  14. Not A Fan

Good all LOSERS people should stick together!!

September 17, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  15. Carol

People are finally seeing there is no light in Obama's vision...just talk, personal hype and greedy tactics. Many more of Hillary's supporters, just like me, will vote for McCain/Palin. It will soon be over for Mr. Obama!!!

September 17, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  16. Andrew

Wow, just like McCain wanted to get the Women vote pick up a female VP and you can even get the sexist women from the DNC. What a smart move McCain you know bring out all the fake democrats and sexist women to try for a cheap victory. All in all, if both parties had 2 white men running for President and VP with the exact same views same everything it would be no contest that the dems would take over the white house for 8 years, then the same thing after that 8 years, republicans would take over again. Now we might see the republicans back in office.

September 17, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  17. Kenneth

If Mrs. de Rothschild was a supporter of Hillary, how can she now be a supporter of John McCain? Hillary and McCain do not seem to agree on any of the major policies issues of the day so if she was a big Clinton supporter how could she possibly decide now that everything she fought for for Hillary is suddenly not worth it? It sounds like the only reason that she is supporting McCain is because she doesn't personally like Obama. I think people need to realize that this is an election for President of the United States. Americans should be voting based on the issues not on personality. This isn't a beauty pagent or contest to become your best friend. These men on arriving in office are going to make very important decisions and they should not be judged solely on personal confrontations.

September 17, 2008 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  18. Barry

So this has nothing to do with policies or the current issues currently affecting our country or the fact the Clinton and Obama agree with each other on like 98% of the issues. I don't know what logic people pretend to use when they call Obama an elitist. McCain left his first wife and mother of kids who was disabled and married a women 17 years younger who was heir to a fortune. The difference is Obama with scholarships and student loans and earned his way into Columbia and Harvard Law and does not own 12 houses like John McCain, but I guess that still makes Obama the elitist. Furthermore how can a wealthy donor with big pockets call an Obama elitists when they themselves have over $100,000 dollars to donate to McCain’s campaign? People should just tell the truth and come right out say they do not like Obama because he is African American running for the highest office in the land and they can never see themselves voting for a black man no matter what the issues are and who has the better plan to fix them. It has nothing to do with solving our countries problems or the fact that John McCain is clueless and Sarah Palin though probably a good mom is a complete joke as a VP and potential President. By the way how is this person is who endorsing McCain today opinion considered to be news worthy CNN. If that’s the case in the primaries I first supported Hillary, but now I am supporting Obama and I have $10 to donate to his campaign. Do I now deserve a write up or is CNN being elitist because the other person has more money to donate.

September 17, 2008 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  19. Oh Brother

Once you go red love you can stay over there... elitist??? You are about to support the biggest lobbyist suck up who doesn't even know how many houses he owns in the country!

I greatly admire Hillary Clinton, so much so that I would never vote for someone who has mocked her healthcare plans (short term memory loss,? it wasn't all that long ago when McCain made fun of "HillaryCare") and picked a VP for pure gimmick purposes.

You are a HUGE discredit to Hillary supporters and are obviously not at all standing true to what she is about or the ISSUES at hand.

I'm not completely sold on Obama either, but he does seem to listen and to care about the issues that concern this country most.

Hillary Supporter for the ISSUES and the DEMS, not for the bitter bs. Stay RED Lynn, you belong over there with the true elitists.

September 17, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  20. Tex

I find it hard to believe that someone that calls themselves a staunch democrat would completely give up the values that they hold and vote for a Republican out of spite.

Other than the obvious differences, Hillary and Obama have similar stances on health care, the economy and the war.

I hope you understand what you are doing.

September 17, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  21. Marc

Lynn Forester de Rothschild: "the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world" and "splits her time living in London and New York." yet she calls Obama an elitist?!?

September 17, 2008 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  22. Lois

So, Forester votes for the person, not issues. Pretty dumb to me.

September 17, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  23. AmericanGirl

This really just amazes me. How can someone who supposedly supports democratic ideals just switch their allegiance to the OPPOSITE party who agrees with NOTHING their candidate stood for. She is basing her decision on him being an "elitist" and being "unable to trust him." When statements like this are made from people WITHIN the party how can ANYONE trust the American government. Lynn Forester de Rothschild, along with so many others, have truly been a disappointment.

September 17, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  24. Lorna

When all is said and done, I think these so called democrats are just racist. They just can't stand to think that a black man will be the leader of the greatest country in the world. That 's the bottom line.

September 17, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  25. Jason

Great! Welcome to the winning team!

September 17, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62