September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. Kel

If she was a REAL Democrat she would support Obama but it seems that she is not. I wonder if Obama being black has anything to do with it? LOL

September 17, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  2. Jose M

WELCOME...

More and more people are taking your stand

September 17, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  3. Steve B, NewYork. NY

yes .. let the Londoner express herself.
    SOUR GRAPES.
    How much further down do we want to bring the women movement back?
    Women will be seen as whining , irrational figures who can't take a loss!
    Ridiculous !

September 17, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  4. Lost Boy

I wonder how many houses Mrs. Forester de Rothschild has? Dislikes Obama because he is elitist? Really?

September 17, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  5. Elitist

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” Lynn Forester de Rothschild said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Yes, and you know what? Did I tell you that he is, he is an Uppity Negro?? can't trust them you know.

Crap, we don't want your support anyway.

September 17, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  6. Eliz

lol, a millionaire from Europe (the Rothchild) is calling Obama an elitist. Get a grip and a life lady, our country is in danger of economic collapse and you are still bitter about Hillary's lose..

September 17, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  7. Seeing clearly

Someone who is of the worldly elite by virtue of her mating, position and possesions "feels" someone else is what she is and she decides disloyalty is the proper course of action and backs someone who is on record bearing false witness. Elitist = 2008 uppity = you are out of your place black man so I am joining the lynch party.

8. Karen

IMO, the spouse of Sir Evelyn de Rothschild should think twice about labeling Barack Obama as an elitist.

9. Republican for Obama

That is too rich, someone married to Sir Evelyn de Rothschild and splitting their time between London and New York calling Obama an elitist.

Can you say sour grapes people?

I think her quote sums it all up, "because frankly I don't like him". Which is fine if you just tell the truth but this elitist crap is ridiculous, especially coming from the likes of her.

factcheck.org is your friend for anyone that wants an unbiased check of party talking points.

10. STEVE

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama. Hummm What a devisive comment to make. Well let her endorse Mcshame and fill up her soul.

11. Christina

Let's see, Lynne Rothschild of the billionaire banking family, calls Barack Obama "elitist." That is rich.

12. Michelle in Philly

She is one of many who will not vote for Obama.

McCain/Palin 08

13. Amy

CNN why aren't you putting on your ticker that McCain called for a commission to solve the economy crisis, clearly understating that he doesn't get it and can't resolve it, instead of focusing on a nil endorsement which really won't have any impact on this race! This is outrageous, I can't believe the media is so silent over important issues! I mean these elections are going to have an impact on our lives, can you care?

14. no way

I use to really admire Wolf Blitzer...but watching him lately makes me feel like he has lost it. The old Wolf would not allow somebody to come on his show, tell him a direct and proven lie, while he look on.
    Mr. Blitzer, we the people need you. Rather it is Obama or McCain, or the VP's, please call them out on the facts. If they tell a lie, call em on that lie. Does Campbell Brown the only reporter left besides Mr. Cafferty who has a pair. Speak truth to power. Help the people make a correct choice. Thank-you.

15. Trey

And why exactly do I care what basically an ex-patriot says??? She is in the tax bracket that John McCain cuts taxes for so of course she's for him. Furthermore how can you be a Democrat and vote for a Repubican??? Where I'm from that's what you call a Benedict Arnold!

16. Bruce

is this woman on something? Elitist? Hasn't given her a reason to trust him? She's talking about McCain not Obama, this is obviously a HRC spurn revenge thing. In any case the way McCain's shot himself in the foot with the Alaskin lipstick gun, i don't see how it's relevant .

17. BigTallMatt

If she is really that prominent of a Clinton backer, than why doesn't CNN bother to list her name in the title of this piece of yellow journalism? Oh, that's right, because she is completely unknown to about 95% of the population. And besides, how is an elitist, out of touch CEO in any position to call Barack Obama elitist?

CNN, your propensity for making mountains out of mole hills has seriously denigrated your reputation as journalists.

18. Mike Pirooz

Are you serious?

How would Hillary, whom you helped raise $100,000 for, feel about you betraying her and her party (clearly not yours) by supporting McCain?

Talk about trust issues.

19. Greg

Obviously this woman has been paid for her allegiance. The fact that she endorses McShame based on her opinion that Obama is an elitist, and just doesn't like him, is pretty thin. How can you call Obama an elitist when his policies are geared towards improving the quality of life for AVERAGE Americans. How can she claim that McShame is not an elitist while his wife is heir to a booze-fortune in the hundreds of millions of dollars? A "man" who owns 7 homes, while AVERAGE Americans are struggling with mortgage debt and foreclosure sounds pretty 'elite' to me. This woman has probably never even met Barack, and I doubt she wants to. Seems very short-minded and prejudiced simply to say, "...frankly, I don't like him." You why she likes McShame. $$$$$$$ Because he wants to give wealthy, ELITE individuals such as her, tax breaks while the rest of us suffer in financial insecurity and pressure. How much money do you F&@#ing need???!!! Give us a break. Give the AVERAGE American a break....not just a tax break, but a break from all the lies, corruption, executive privilige, secrecy, war, economic woe, all of it. Nobody cares what some rich twitt thinks. Nobody listens to the AVERAGE American, and they haven't for a long time. If the republicans keep this up, if they end up in the White House this year, there's only so much people can take before....dare I say it? REVOLUTION!!!! BLOODY REVOLUTION!!!!!

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  20. sophie

What a slap in the face to Hillary Clinton! You are stomping on
    everything Hillary believes in. You mean to tell me, not only John
    McCain, but Palen, who could very well be president within the
    next 4 yrs, can replace Hillary? I would think this was a very hard
    decision for you. I as a woman, 54 years old am flabergasted
    at your reasoning! Did you not believe in women's rights, health
    care, and all Hillary stood for? If you truly did, there is no way you
    would support the McCain ticket. If you were wanting to merely vote
    a woman in , that is sexist! This is very disappointing, and the
    reasoning is rediculous! You're doing Hillary Clinton no favors.

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  21. Pamela McGregor

It's a free country.

Obviously, she has more than a tiff with the DNC.

McPain will have her just in case he has to throw Sara off the train.

HA!!!ha!!ha!!!!!!

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  22. Beth

Obviously Ms. Forester holds little regard for Clinton and the ideas she stands for. If Ms. Forester is basing her decision on a personal like/dislike, then she's not paying attention to the issues at hand.

I was also a Clinton supporter, however above that I am a Democrat and the Obama/Biden ticket holds true to the ideas and concerns I have for this great country.

It's sad that someone like Ms. Forester would endorse McCain because he's a complete 180 from Clinton.

Personally, I want more for this country and my support is firmly behind Obama/Biden. I truly believe in country first, which is why Obama gets my vote.

Obama/Biden '08!

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  23. R. Cooper

Of course, they need to save their personal investments. The hell with the rest of the American people!

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  24. Sarah....and my last name isn't Palin

An elitist??? This from a person who spends time in London & New York.... Whatever!

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  25. Dean in Florida

This will be the view of many, many people on election day.

Obama can try again in eight years.

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62