September 17th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

Lynn Forester de Rothschild was a strong supporter of Clinton's White House bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
soundoff (1,538 Responses)
  1. sophie

where is my comment???

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  2. Yam

Oh Please lady...get over it!
    Were you voting for Hillary or the Issues!??!

September 17, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  3. AmericanGirl

In addition to that...how can someone who is a ROTHSCHILD call anyone an elitist! A woman who made more than $100 million on a telecommunications sale? And she's calling someone who JUST paid off his student loans an elitist? Give me a break. If she had any credibility, which is debatable anyway, it is all gone.

September 17, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  4. A verb, a noun and POW-that's all he has.

and....

September 17, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  5. Jackie - NYC

The CEO of EL Rothschild who is married to SIR Evelyn de Rothschild is saying she doesn't like Obama because he is an elitist. Now I've heard it all!!

September 17, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  6. Vonniewit

I am not impressed. She is bitter and revengeful; therefore, her endorsement is not respected. McCain has not gained anything but trouble.

September 17, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  7. Mark

A sure sign that the tide has turned back in Obama's favor. You know they hold these announcements as aces in the hole so that they can try to shift the news cycle when things aren't going their way. I doubt this will help much.

September 17, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  8. Carl from Atlantic City

The Clintons are shrewd. They’re putting on the good public face in support of Barack but still believe that behind the scenes they are trying to undermine him from within the Democratic Party. We’re going to see more of this sort of thing as election day nears—wait and see. Hillary figures that with any luck McCain will die and she can eat Sarah Palin for breakfast in 2012.

September 17, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  9. Clinton Supporter Now for McCain!

We're with you Lynn!!

September 17, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  10. HiVelSword

Nelson: "HA haaa!"

Dems should have this one in the BAG. They should have had it in the bag in 2004! It should be a double digit lead! But no. It's neck and neck with John McCain having the momentum now.

How sad that even when we have an unpopular president and an unpopular war that Obama and his Obamazombies are having such a hard time. It's glorious! But seriously. Besides the typical "Repblicans must be cheating somehow" theories, why is it? And don't tell me it's racism because if David Palmer wasn't a fictional character, I'd have voted for him. I'd also vote for Colin Powell.

I'm taking the day off after the election where McCain/Palin beats Obama/Biden so I can watch Keith Olbermanic have a career ending meltdown on the air. I'll also tune into 106 Sirius to hear about how whitey won't ever allow a brother in the White House.

September 17, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  11. Timothy

Yeah, dispel that Mccain has no solutions and run to him how asinine.
    I believe Mccain is a decent man. But the only reason he will be elected
    is because many people can not just give up the good ole days. I can hear the tune now;
    (I wish I were in the land of cotton, look away look away Dixie land)
    They would rather this country go up in smoke (literally).
    I'm sorry its just my opinion.

September 17, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  12. Andy

Great News!!

Notice the other CNN headlines: "Pailn not ready to run corporation". CNN once again picks the words that look good for Nobama. IN THE SAME SENTENCE Fiorina said Obama or Biden couldn't do it either.

Its so obvious CNN is one of Nobama's biggest supporters.

September 17, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  13. reggie

Lynn Forester de Rothschild is just of many who will switch sides. Of course, many others will do it outside of the public arena.

September 17, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  14. Kevin

Obama has always been a man in too much of a hurry. He should have had the good grace to let Hillary have her try for the Whitehouse and then in 8 years time he should have gone for it. He is still a young man and would gain a lot more experience in that time. There is a chance now that he has blown it for himself and the Dems because of his impatience and arrogance.

September 17, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  15. Jacquie

Bad, bad news. I don't understand why people think Obama is an elitist – wasn't Cindy McCain in like $300K worth of clothes & jewelry when he accepted the nomination? Surely this has got to be a personal grudge that her candidate didn't win the nomination. I was with Hillary too, but how can a thinking person that's not just holding a grudge be for Hillary then change to McCain/Palin? Makes no sense.

September 17, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  16. Angela

Obama had an opportunity to win over HIllary supporters, but he chose not to. He comment to Hillary during the primaries of " I can win your supporters but you cannot win mine" is a good example of how HIllary supporters including myself are turned off by his arrogance. HIs arrogance and pride were the reasons he did not even consider HIllary as VP. Of course now his big lead he had is gone, so he has finally decided that he needs us ..." suburban white women". The choices are terrible this year.

September 17, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  17. John

Let me get this straight: a Rothschild is calling Senator Obama an elitist? That comment would be humorous if it were not so tragic. Might it really be because McCain favors tax policies that will benefit the Rothschild wealth?

September 17, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  18. George from PA

I agree with Lynn Forester de Rothschild, she is a smart woman. I am also voting, in protest, for McCane. I figure with him winning the election, Hillary can run in 4 years. With Obama winning, we have to wait 8 years; no Democrat will run against an incumbent Obama.

September 17, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  19. Brian Lopresti

Who is this woman to call Barack Obama an elitist?!! CEO of an international holding company, married to a gentrified englishman born into wealth and privilege. One of their many homes, Ascott house in Buckinghamshire is a veritable palace. Barack Obama, on the other hand, comes from a modest background and has achieved success on his own merits. His ivy league education is an indicator of his intelligence, not his elitism. If Obama was an elitist he would have taken his Harvard education and taken one of the many lucrative job offers laid at his feet- perhaps for one of Forester's many companies. If you are truly a democrat, the only reason to not be thrilled with Obama and the prospect of a democrat controlled congress and executive branch is that you are a racist. Likely Forester's vast financial interests are threatened by increased oversight of the country's financial institutions. Why are we or CNN listening to this woman???

September 17, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  20. sophie

What a slap in the face to Hillary Clinton. You evidently didn't
    believe in her ideals, health care, women's rights, everything
    Hillary stood for. You must be one of those sexist women that just
    want to vote a woman in. McCain , and Palen, very likely to be
    the next president within 4 yrs, you think they stand for anything
    Hillary stood for. I don't know how you could have given this any
    thought, as a free thinking woman, and come up with the idea
    to throw your support to McCain. As a 54 year old woman , in the
    midwest, I am very disappointed to read this. Women, if you
    believed in Hillary , we must go with Obama/Biden. Do not
    insult Hillary Clinton by just voting for the next "skirt" that comes along.

September 17, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  21. Pius njogu

Here in in kenya we are for Barack obama though we don't have American voters cards.

September 17, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  22. Ely

Another idiot who just wants her name in the news.
    Please spare us the dramatics, Lynn Forester de Rothschild...you are nobody. "I just don't like the guy" is not a reason to switch parties, you bigot. I'm sure the McCain Palin ticket is much more suited for you. What do you want...a farewell party? Don't let the door hit you...on your way out. Plenty of people will easily replace you.

September 17, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  23. chuck

I feel that Ms. DeRothschild is a "closet republican" who can only parrot republican talking points. She does no inquiry into McCain's background or his real agenda for this country if he gets to be President. She is probably like McCain and does not know how to use the "INTERNETS". Or maybe she is just so PO'd that Hilliary lost, that she prefers the "GREATER" of two evils then her own self interest. I feel totally disgusted with her and other "closet republicans" that call themselves DEMOCRATS.

September 17, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  24. Tim

I find it hilarious that a woman worth billions of dollars, married to a man with an English title (no, they don't just give out those "sirs" to anyone), is endorsing a man married to a wealthy beer heiress because, quote, "the guy's an elitist."

Only in America.

September 17, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  25. Jozee

You have to use your own judgement, Ms. de Rothschild, but frankly, I can't see your logic in not voting for Sen. Obama because he is "elitist and you don't trust him."

And you trust John McCain, a self professed economic illiterate, to help us to get out of this Wall Street Meltdown that continues to unfold very day? Do you trust John McCain, whose very advisors, namely Phil Gramm and Carly Fiorina, are part of the main reason why Wall Street is crumbling? Do you trust Sen. McCain, who still believes that our economy is "fundamentally strong" to fix this dire situation when he doesn't even know the situation exists?

Your judgement, Ms. de Rothschild, is stunningly flawed. And regarding the elitist thing, many Americans are trying to keep our one home from foreclosure, while you have at least two on two continents. Walk a minute in the average American's shoes and then we may value your opinion.

September 17, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62