September 18th, 2008

Rothschild: I'm a middle-class girl from Jersey

Rothschild said she hasn't spoken to Hillary Clinton about her endorsement of John McCain.

(CNN) – Lynn Forester de Rothschild, once a prominent supporter of Sen. Hillary Clinton’s bid for president who has switched her allegiance to Sen. John McCain, is pushing back on attempts by some Democrats to “play the class card” against her.

Watch: Rothschild makes McCain's case

De Rothschild, the wife of a scion of the British Rothschild family that made its fortune in private banking, is standing by her charge that it is Sen. Barack Obama who is the elitist. “An elitist is someone whose state of mind is that they’re better than the rest of us,” Rothschild told CNN’s John Roberts on American Morning Thursday. “As president, he will be very full of himself. That is elitist, ok. To be privileged is not elitist.”

Rothschild pointed to her middle-class origins in response to Democratic charges that she is an elitist. “I am a girl from New Jersey. A middle-class family. My father worked two jobs. Four kids went to college, law school. I earned a good part of the fortune that we have,” she said.

De Rothschild, a lawyer and entrepreneur who made a reported $100 million in telecommunications before she met Sir Evelyn Rothschild, was a prolific fundraiser for Sen. Clinton. On American Morning, she defended McCain’s record on equal pay for women, an issue the Obama campaign highlighted on the same day de Rothschild announced her endorsement of McCain.

“Trying to tag John McCain as ‘not good for women’ is just insane,” de Rothschild said Wednesday. She also told Roberts that McCain has “a record” of taking on special interests, bipartisanship, leadership, and making tough decisions while Obama only has “rhetoric” on all of those points.

1. Bill Tampa

Yea, right!!!!!!!!!!!

September 18, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. Ex-Republican for Obama

This chick...is another nut case. Like Palin Like follower.

Imagine...a rich out of touch elitist supporting McCain/Palin...who would have thunked it? But hey, the lipstick looks good!

September 18, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. JPM in Michigan

McCAIN's AMBITION SHOWS HE IS FULL OF HIMSELF: In McCain's 2002 memoir, "Worth the Fighting For," he wrote,"I didn"t decide to run for president to start a national crusade for the political reforms I believed in or to run a campaign as if it were some grand act of patriotism. In truth, I wanted to be president because it had become my ambition to be president. . . . In truth, I"d had the ambition for a long time."

Blind, empty, raw ambition to be President. Just like Palin's blind empty ambition to be VP.

September 18, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. temi

...AND IM A TODDLER FROM ALASKA

September 18, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  5. McCain Invented the BlackBerry, Palin Invented the Manure Spreader

Lynn Forester de Rothschild Piddlesworth the Third took the silver spoon from her mouth long enough to claim that she is NOT an elitist.

September 18, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  6. ca native

and where does she think Obama came from?

September 18, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  7. Another Republican for Obama

An elitist is someone whose state of MIND is that they’re better than the rest of us,”
    ______________________

Lady Lynn "MIND READER" Forrester de Rothschild!

You should know what I'm thinking about you now; so do it! DISAPPEAR!

Obama '08!!!

September 18, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  8. Susan in NC

After making a complete fool of herself on Campbell Brown's show last night, I'm surprised Mrs. de Rothschild has ANYthing to say today - who cares anyway?

September 18, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  9. OBAMA ALL THE WAY-NJGIRL

We have been playing the "GENDER CARD" dealing with this Palin chic–let me reintroduce The Race Card... de Rothschild is a RACIST.

She could not give a clear explanation as to why she would back McCain EVEN THOUGH she is a registered democrat???? Her answer was," I dont care for him. It's just one of those things where you know it when you see it." SHE out of all people went on to say he is an ELITIST. I think as the campaign has gone on, WE ALL KNOW what that is a code word for...

She is touched...

September 18, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  10. D&D

You are elitist, don't try to redefine the word and it at your advantage.

And the only thing you are really doing good in make those statements in favor of McCain is losing respect from women across America!

September 18, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. prairieguy

I'll get banned if I say what I am really thinking so I'll just say she is full of it!!!!

September 18, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. tuhle

Another rich white billionaire defecting to the Republican party. Is this surprising to anyone? And spare me the "elitist" crap when you split your time between homes in NY and Londong.

September 18, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. Arkansas Undertaker

This woman is the "ELITIST" and a sore looser. I cant wait until Obama is elected President ande becomse the official leader of the DNC and kicks Rothschild's butt right of the committee nd back over to her Republican side.

September 18, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. Tam

She is a racist.

September 18, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  15. TC

LOOK IN THE MIRROR B****! YOU ARE A WHITE, A WOMAN, AND A REPUBLICAN ELITIST.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE FOOLING?

September 18, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  16. Jane

This does not sound like someone who supported Hillary based on the issues. Vote for McCain, fine–but arguing that McCain will be good for women is insane.

September 18, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  17. MedMunky

Lynn excuse me, Lady Lynn, Baroness Lynn enjoys great wealth therefore bread and butter issues like pay equality matter not to her. John McCain voted against equal pay for women. I am certain had Lynn been unsuccessful at gold-digging, and had to work for a living like an average American woman, she'd be voting for Obama/Biden.

September 18, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  18. banderson

Are you kidding me? This lady is something right out of Alfred Hitchcock movie.

September 18, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  19. TC

GEE LYNN, OBAMA CAME FROM THE SAME PLACE, ONLY WITH LESS ADVANTAGES.

TWO-FACED BIATCH!

September 18, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  20. WE NEED THE TRUTH

Last Night during a TV interview She said that she was opposed to Obama because there would just be to much democratic control with him in the White House and Pelosi in Congress. What strikes me as strange is that she believes there wouldn't be to much democratic control if Hillary was in the White House and Pelosi in Congress. This thougt pattern from a woman who claims that she's been a Democrat all her life. I think she's someone that has a problem not with a democrat in the White House, but an African American in the White House.

September 18, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  21. Huh!!!!!!

She is dumb. Hillary please give her money back.

September 18, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. Bruce

Ok so I am supposed to beleive that she is just a jersey girl...come on.

September 18, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  23. no trickle down...

This woman need to zip it!

September 18, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. Susan from Culver City

She's a PUMA – no reason to expect logic from this person.

September 18, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. Nando, Florida

why is this SPOILED BRAT EVEN GETTING HEADLINES COME ON CNN !!!!!!!! THIS IS LUDACRIS !!!!!!

September 18, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |