September 18th, 2008

Obama strikes back over McCain AIG attacks

Barack Obama criticized John McCain Thursday, over his position on the AIG bailout.

ESPANOLA, New Mexico (CNN) – The economy remained the focus Thursday as Barack Obama continued to criticize John McCain for not being consistent in his response to the staggering financial roller coaster this week.

Watch: 'McCain's stealing my lines,' Obama says

“On Tuesday, he said the government should stand aside and allow one of the nation’s largest insurers AIG, to collapse, I mean he said this in three different interviews despite the possibility that it would put millions of Americans at risk,” Obama told a crowd of thousands at a northern New Mexico rally. “But by Wednesday, he changed his mind. And today he accused me of not supporting what the Treasury and the Federal Reserve Bank did with AIG, despite no evidence whatsoever that that’s what I had said.”

Watch: Obama questions McCain's position on the AIG bailout

The McCain campaign seized on Obama’s comments Wednesday that not enough “details” were known about the “arrangement with AIG and the Federal Reserve” to criticize the Democratic nominee for not taking a solid position on the deal. Obama also said the deal “must not bail out the shareholders or management of AIG.”

Obama plans to meet with his “top” economic advisors tomorrow while he is in Miami to discuss further economic proposals. During his remarks here, Obama said he would work to pass what he called the “Homeowner and Financial Support Act” which would “establish a more stable and permanent solution” and help provide “liquidity” and “capital to the financial system.” This act would also help homeowners “restructure” mortgages to try and avoid foreclosure.

The Obama campaign will continue to keep the economy front and center on the trail, using the issue to paint McCain as out of touch and shifting positions for political expediency.

“He has consistently opposed the sorts of common sense regulations that might set out some rules of the road for these financial institutions have lessened the current crisis,” he said. “Except now, with the magnitude of the crisis apparent even to the Bush White House, John McCain wants to reverse himself, he wants to reverse course. Now, all of a sudden, he has become a populist now he’s unleashed an angry tirade against all the insiders and lobbyists who happened to have supported him for twenty-six years … John McCain can’t decide whether he’s Barry Goldwater or Dennis Kucinich.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Paula, Los Angeles CA

Correction my dear Obama: John McCain and common sense do not belong in the same sentence... actually it's an oxymoron.

Obama '08

September 18, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. cecil

Wisdom, Judgement And Reason

Obama 08

Patriotism; John F. Kennedy

Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You, But What You Can Do For Your Country.

September 18, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. McCryptKeeper/Cruella 08

McCain......before it before he was against it.

September 18, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  4. Surafel Melaku

What's new!

September 18, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  5. A NATION OF WINERS for OBAMA

IT'S GOOD TO HAVE OUR FUTURE PRESIDENT

TAKE THESE IMBECILES HEAD ON. THEY HAVE

WON WITH LIES, FEAR MONGERING, SCAMS &

SLEAZE 7 OUT OF 10 TIMES. NO MORE. WE ARE

LITERALLY GOING DOWN THE CRAPPER WITH

THESE MORONS AT THE HELM. DEMS HAVE GROWN SOME.

September 18, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. Tiffany

I GUESS MCAIN CAMP SHOULD TAKE NOTES!!!!! NEVER RUSH TO JUDGE UNTIL YOU HAVE ALL THE INFORMATION OTHERWISE YOU WILL END UP LOOKING LIKE A FLIP FLOPPER!!!!!! NOTICE MCCAIN COMMENTS.... DON'T BAILOUT AIG THEN THE NEXT DAY, OK NOW THAT I HAVE ALL THE DETAILS OK TO BAIL OUT AIG!

September 18, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  7. Vote08

THIS JUST IN! Obama has annouced that he will not be attending rallies at some of the smaller towns and cities he previously had planned on. His reasoning is that he plans to devote more time to the larger cities and of course needs to spend more time on his third book about himself. Obama hopes that his third book will be as big of a hit as his first two, saying "The cost of my children's private school is enough that I have decided to write a third book in order to make more money to afford those things the average American could only dream about."

Wake up America, Obama is a fraud. I mean what has he really done for this country as a senator? Anything? He writes books about himself because that's what he's good at...making up stories.

McCain and Palin are the real authors of change and have the record to prove it. Obama...well lets just say...he's full of stories.

September 18, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  8. John Kaleto

Just who are Obama's "top economic advisors", George Soros, Cindy Sheehan, and James Carville?

September 18, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  9. shadowgovt

At least Obama tries to limit the number of stupid things uttered on the campaign trail - McLame is in constant retraction mode. "I'll say this, yeah...no, no, no wait a moment, I meant this....uh, reverse that, strike that, I meant THIS". All part of his "shoot first, ask questions later" thought process. Crazy man.

September 18, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  10. MikeH

It's interesting that CNN won't report this two-faced AIG approach by John McCain, tried to insinuate that Joe Biden was guilty of flip-flopping on AIG, and now only describes McCains's two-faced behavior in a quote made by Obama.

CNN, I accuse you of journalistic and moral cowardice. You need to grow a pair.

September 18, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  11. ohio for obama

do america really deserve obama? I hope america makes the right choice obama/biden '08. take the blind folds off and listento the foolish response In mcshame and liar sarah

September 18, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  12. CM

I would love to hear the opinion of those ignorant GOP supporters who claim Obama will turn the US into a socialist state.

Question: Under what administration is the buying up by the government of private investment banks taking place? Can you tell me if that is a capitalist move?

September 18, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  13. Former Republican for OBAMA

THE REPUBLICANS CALL ANY ELECTED OFFICIAL

LIBERAL, IF THEY WANT TO TAKE CARE OF THE

NEEDS OF AMERICAN WORKING PEOPLE. FROM

NOW ON LETS ONLY ELECT LIBERALS. THE SO

CALLED CONSERVATIVES ARE GIVING OUR NATION

& OUR TAX DOLLARS TO ANY ONE BUT US, THE TRUE OWNERS.

September 18, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  14. shadowgovt

For the poster named "This is the second time...."

I'm sorry to hear that. Wow. I wish you luck and Godspeed that your retirement investments will rebound. Hang in there and don't sell your stocks - they'll rebound and when they do, sink them into low-risk investment instruments (CD's, maybe some precious metals, etc)

September 18, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  15. Topsed

John McCain and his supporters take special delight in IGNORANCE. America deserves better than John McCain.

September 18, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  16. RJ, CA

What is causing the current economic crisis?

The subprime mortgage meltdown.

When did the subprime mortgage meltdown begin?

In 2006/2007.

Who was given an overwhelming mandate by the American voters in 2006?

The Democratic Congress.

Who voted 98% of the time with the Democrats in Congress?

Barrack Obama.

The legislative branch (Congress) makes our laws — the president
    merely enforces these laws.

McCain/Palin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who will put the USA back on the RIGHT track!
    NO bigger government.
    NO welfare state.

NO OBAMA, NO WAY, NOT NOW, NOT EVER!

September 18, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  17. Mike from CA

Just the same old flip-flopping McCain being for one thing and then against it when it's convenient.

Just remember folks
    1) He was for gay marriage before he was against it
    2) He was for for illegal immigrants and now he is against them
    3) Spoke out against Bush's tax cuts and then wants to continue them
    4) Wanted AIG to fall and now he praises the governments takeover.
    5) Was against regulation before he was for it.

FLIP-FLOP EXPRESS?

September 18, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  18. Enlightened Voter

Has anyone noticed that 80% of the comments here are pro Obama? He will win by a landslide. Thank God!

September 18, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  19. a southern bell for OBAMA

I HAVE BEEN A REPUBLICAN TO MY SHAME

FOR MY ENTIRE LIFE. THEY HAVE SUCCEEDED

IN TURNING A GREAT SUCCESS TO A MISERABLE FAILURE.

ITS OUT MONEY. ITS OUR GOVERNMENT & WE ARE TAKING IT BACK

September 18, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  20. Joseph, Los Angeles

This man, Barack Obama, is BRILLIANT!

September 18, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  21. TevinTolin

Guys and Gals, I am a Conservative, but the polls scare me because I do not follow anyone blindly, not even my religious beliefs. But When the Conservative base supports McCain so Blindly it really makes me question my religious principles & beliefs. Maybe I'm wrong for being a Christian. I am not an idiot and I do not want to be looked at as an idiot. Obama and his team just seem like they are ready to lead our country. I have never voted but the future of me and my country is important to me. This election is too important not to vote for Obama.

McCain Just seems like he doesnt know whats going on, it seems to me like it is more of a legacy thing to him more than a Nuts and Bolts lets fix this nation and fix our economy. He seems very focused on making the rich richer and giving our country away to big corporations, Corporations just do not care about the little guys. I really Hope Obama can win...

The Conservative really need to move past the race issue and look at what is important to their family.

September 18, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  22. TS from Canada

"Obama questions McCain's position on....." ?

What the waste of time.... McCain doesn't have "position" on anything. He just say anything which may sound good at any given time, just to be elected. Then the same people running the Bus admin will take over. It's that simple. He has no vision, therefore, no leadership, no big picture, no future direction.

Obama has a solid sense of future direction, sharp mind, big picture beyond the election, and solid knowledge of international affairs and constitutional law. I can't wait to get done with this election and put his brain to the real, more important tasks... like fixing problems.

September 18, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  23. Nevada Mom

Oh, McCain -

You've had three different positions on this issue in as many days.
    How do you have a leg to stand on?

What is McCain's big alternative to the bailout? Still waiting... maybe his hypothetical commission will miraculously solve the problem.

September 18, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  24. Hadenough2008

I was going to comment on the story, but I got to the bottom of the page and saw that McCain has a Facebook page. I laughed so hard, I forgot what I was going to write. I could really use some laughs, so I'm off to Facebook. Obama '08.

September 18, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. Lacy

Well god forbid a man of intelligence who might be the next leader of out country want details and to understand a policy before taking a position on it!

September 18, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |