September 18th, 2008

Republican congressman endorses Obama

Gilchrest attended a McCain speech in February.
Gilchrest attended a McCain speech in February.

(CNN) - Rep. Wayne Gilchrest, the Maryland Republican who lost a heated primary challenge earlier this year, said Friday he's endorsing Democrat Barack Obama's White House bid.

Gilchrest, who has served in the House for close to two decades, told a Maryland radio station Obama and his running mate Sen. Joe Biden have the experience needed for the job.

"My perspective is that the ticket is Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden that they have the breadth of experience, I think they are prudent, they are knowledgeable," he told WYPR. "We just can't use four more years of the same kind of policy that's somewhat hazardous, which leads to recklessness."

The move doesn’t come as a big surprise: Gilchrest is a strong opponent of the Iraq war and has voted for a timeline for withdrawal. He's also endorsed the Democrat running to succeed him.

CNN's calls to Gilchrest's office went unanswered.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Anonymous

WONDERFUL!!!!!! If their own party can see that McCain/Palin is a JOKE, why is it hard soooo hard for you other Repubs to get it? Are you really wanting to put our "Country First" or put "Beauty & the Beast" in the White House?

September 18, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. shannon

FORMER Republican.

This guy stopped being a Rep a long time ago.

CNN...he is NOT a Republican anymore.

September 18, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

Do you think anyone is listening? We keep hearing that McCain says one thing and does something else. He works for deregulation and then yells about regulating Wall Street. Palin was mayor and left the city in debt and in legal trouble over the sports complex she built without clear title to the property. She said she would cooperate with the Troopergate investigation and now says she won't. What is she hiding? If people were truly listening with an open mind, this would be a landslide for Obama. Some people just won't listen and don't want to be bothered with the truth. How sad for this country.

September 18, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. Sacto Joe

GO BAMA!

September 18, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  5. Jerry Ohio

Thanks for the endorsement I bet American alot of republican going to be crossing over to endorse Obama,,,,,McCain does not have any idea what going on with economy....He dont know how many houses he have and he dont know the difference between Spain and Mexico

September 18, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. Nando, Florida

the true MAVERICK !

September 18, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. deb in az

gosh i wish someone would smack that smirk off that mans face.....he has no plan on how to correct anything....he can take the rest of his democrat and republican friends and get out of washington......with any luck maybe we can hire a congress that will work for us instead of their own ambition........i dont think cindy and john mccains houses have anything to do with this election either.....she had a mom and dad who busted their butts to become weathly.....trust me they earned every penny......it would be nice if we all could be so fortunate..... but you do have to work for what you want in life........not sit around and complain about things......

September 18, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  8. Greg in Annapolis

Maryland loves you, Rep. Gilchrest! Great choice in Obama! Great choice in Kratovil too! I love living in a solid blue state (even though I'm an Independent)! GO OBAMA/BIDEN! All of us sane people are behind you 100%!

September 18, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  9. Fabian

Yes Judy, we can! Under McCain/Palin. All obama will do is reaise taxes. Do your home work!

September 18, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. STILLBELIEVE

I AM SO PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

September 18, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. ran

The writing is on the wall. This is good for we the people.

Obama/Biden and only other Democrats is the true way back for this great country.

September 18, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. Lipstick for Limbaugh

The tide is coming in!

September 18, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Bill Charlotte,NC

This "trumps" many-houses-too-Trump.

September 18, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. Libs be dopes

Something about a loser supporting another loser...............Baracko "The Enlightened One" Nobamo

September 18, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. dan

I am not an American citizen but have been following the Presidential race very closely as its outcome affects everyone in so many ways living in other countries throughout the world.

After following both the Democrats and the Republicans conventions and being swayed in my support back and forth, I found the sound bites unfolding on a daily basis worthy of the analysis CNN is doing.. I'm O.K. on the instant replay but have lost track of the score vis-a-vis the "truth" vrs "false" count.

Could the CNN political analysis team give us a total running count beginning at day 1 of the campaign(s) launch... with additions and new totals each day as we progress to November?

Both parties have good and not so good platform positions but it seems to me transparent half truths, inuendos and outright fiction provided by the spin doctors are not worthy of making it into the speeches of either candidate.

Dan W
    A Canadian neighbour

September 18, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. Daley

A republican with reason, is there such thing?

September 18, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  17. JR

Republicans lowered my taxes, and will keep them low.

But the value of my home has dropped 20%, my health insurance costs have doubled, gas costs $4 a gallon, and my investments are in the tank.

Please, tax me.

September 18, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. M.Serafin

So much for McCain argument that Obama dont cross the isle...

September 18, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  19. Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

I am so glad to hear this news!!! I hope and pray that more sensible Republicans come out in favor of Obama. He is the clear and rational choice for President in this election. I am proud to be a lifelong Republican strongly supporting Sen. Obama and Sen. Biden!!!

September 18, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  20. ROMNEY 2012

I just don't understand why Mr McCain snubbed a vetted partner like Mitt Romney. Mr Romney is a man of business AND a man of faith. I was all excited about Sarah at first, but now there are these little things popping up. I am afraid it will be Obama in 08. I will have to pin my hopes on Mitt Romney 2012.

September 18, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  21. Gov Palin, What Are Your Foreign Policy Credentials?

Answer: "I'm ready. I'm prepared. Ask me any question...."

What the....?

September 18, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  22. Sir I salute you

Someone give this man a True Patriot medal.

September 18, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  23. Daisy

Yay! The economy is currently in a downswing, and I'm going to go vote for someone who promises to raise taxes.

September 18, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  24. Franky

Hey guys, tell Senator Hagel to endorse my boy already. Why?? So he can shove it up his parties face!! And plus, he does have conservative credentials...that's my bonus! LOL!!

And tell Collin Powel to do it already!! I know he wants to.

Tell them is O.K, God understands...

September 18, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  25. Forever in moderation........

I hope a string of respectful Republicans are strong enough to come out of the closet and admit our nation just can't handle four more years of Bush and back Obama or another candidate I would post but CNN won't post my comments if I do. HINT R.P. (he's also a Republican)

September 18, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |