September 18th, 2008

Trump endorses McCain

Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.
Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump is endorsing Sen. John McCain: “I’ve known him. I like him. I respect him. He’s a smart guy and I think he’s going to be a great president,” Trump said Wednesday night on CNN’s Larry King Live. “I endorse him.”

Watch: Trump backs McCain

Trump also had praise for McCain’s decision to pick Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. “I think she’s made a tremendous impact. The impact that she has had on rejuvenating almost the Republican Party, it’s been unbelievable.”

Trump also confided that he did not know who Palin was before McCain asked her to join him on the GOP ticket. “As soon as we got to see her and watch her, everybody’s impressed,” said Trump. “That really is to John McCain’s credit. What he did in this choice is amazing. . . . It was a courageous choice.”

Trump may have announced his endorsement last night, but he voted with his pocketbook months ago; campaign finance records show Trump, who has donated to McCain for years, and gave the legal maximum to the Arizona senator in May. The same month, the members of Trump’s family — wife Melania Knauss and children Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric — also gave McCain the maximum individual donation allowed under federal campaign finance laws.

The New York mogul — who said Wednesday night that McCain was winning, but it would be a “different race” if Hillary Clinton were Obama’s running mate — was also an early financial supporter of his home state senator’s presidential campaign.

Filed under: Donald Trump • John McCain
  1. Jesses From Berlin

This coming from him I`m not surprise....
    He`ll have to pay less taxes when mcsame is president...
    I bet he`against Equal pay for women too...

September 18, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  2. e.j.mohammed

Who cares about Trump he's not feeling the pinch like the rest of us that have to work hard for every cent to buy gas and groceries! He lives in an ivory tower with tinsel and glitz!
    I have lost respect for McCain he's lost his integrity!

September 18, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. We're NOT "your friends"!!!

This endorsement comes down to simple math. Trump makes more than 250/K per year. McCain would keep in place the Bush tax code which in turn would see more tax breaks to the top 2% of the American people. Obama's tax plan would give a TAX BREAK to people making under 250K per year, which obviously Trump does not. Which of these categories do YOU fall into?

September 18, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  4. Kerri

Wait a minute, wait a minute...a rich person is backing a Republican? WHAT A SURPRISE!

September 18, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  5. A. Brown

YOU MUST BE KIDDING!!! Every day I get another reason to confirm my belief that Obama/Biden is the only way to go. Thanks, Chump.

September 18, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

WOW!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!

One rich, old, out of touch white guy endorsing another rich, old, out of touch white guy!!! I would have never suspected this!!!

September 18, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Denise

Who cares–okay folks let's move on and get to the real important stuff like the ECONOMY HELLLLLLOOOO

September 18, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  8. Emily

It is funny to see all ultra rich people are running to McCain. While those people are proud of donating money to charities, and foundations, obviously they do not want to let the government take money to re-distribute it to the lower income people in the country.

Why? I guess they still want to get the name recognition and praise of donating money to charities, because the tax to help lower income would not be recognized by others?

September 18, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  9. Guy

Is it because his hairstyle resembles Palin's?

September 18, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  10. ajks

Rothschilds and now Trump! The rich people must be getting scared!

September 18, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |