September 18th, 2008

Trump endorses McCain

Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.
Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump is endorsing Sen. John McCain: “I’ve known him. I like him. I respect him. He’s a smart guy and I think he’s going to be a great president,” Trump said Wednesday night on CNN’s Larry King Live. “I endorse him.”

Watch: Trump backs McCain

Trump also had praise for McCain’s decision to pick Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. “I think she’s made a tremendous impact. The impact that she has had on rejuvenating almost the Republican Party, it’s been unbelievable.”

Trump also confided that he did not know who Palin was before McCain asked her to join him on the GOP ticket. “As soon as we got to see her and watch her, everybody’s impressed,” said Trump. “That really is to John McCain’s credit. What he did in this choice is amazing. . . . It was a courageous choice.”

Trump may have announced his endorsement last night, but he voted with his pocketbook months ago; campaign finance records show Trump, who has donated to McCain for years, and gave the legal maximum to the Arizona senator in May. The same month, the members of Trump’s family — wife Melania Knauss and children Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric — also gave McCain the maximum individual donation allowed under federal campaign finance laws.

The New York mogul — who said Wednesday night that McCain was winning, but it would be a “different race” if Hillary Clinton were Obama’s running mate — was also an early financial supporter of his home state senator’s presidential campaign.

Filed under: Donald Trump • John McCain
  1. stephen .E

mcsame you are fired.

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  2. Rich from FLA

Of course he supports McCain. Only rich people, or stupid people do!

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  3. Franky

No offense to the Trump but he's probably selling million dollar houses as far as I'm concerned. And by the way, if I was him, I wouldn't want my taxes raise so I don't blame him! LOL!!!

Everybody keeps talking about how right now is the best time to buy a house(s) and so forth. You know what? My parents did that A LONG TIME AGO, they've done their mission BUT as far as the American people go, YOU hook them up with a house, I don't need one but they might or a job or a raise etc...

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  4. John

Another Money bag joins the circus Mccain/Palin....

Mccain/Palin is not right for this great country.

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  5. A7K8A69

That's all I need to hear. Obama/ Biden No Mcain/ Bush

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  6. lamode

stupid decision as trump him self

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  7. WhoIsPalin?

WHATEVER.... CNN please report on the Major Gaffe McCain made during interview with Spanish journalist.He wants to go to war with Spain after Iran and Russia!!

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  8. Former republican white man from california for Obama

of course he does give me a break this is one of the most greedy fat cats in this country who else could he endorse? was this even news?

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  9. blake

And now you solidify my reasons even more to vote Obama.

September 18, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. jway

Who cares. Trump only endorse him because Mcshame tax plan will benefit him

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  11. Stupid is as stupid does!

Trump..

YOU'RE FIRED!

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. ohio for obama

donald the bankrupt king. who cares.

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  13. pittsburgh bob

good news for us obama supporters. with friends like trump running their mouth like fiorina and taking the focus off of everyday americans, he doesn't need enemies!

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  14. judie matter

Did Donald Trump endorse John McCain because of money? It seems to me that Mr Trump is a very rich man and that Sen McCain is not going to up any tax for the rich. If I were him I wouldnt tell anyone that I was picking Sen McCain, all of us are to the reason why.

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  15. Shari, NY

Trump is awash with gold; he has thrice married, etc., etc. What else is new?

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  16. Bridgett, HI

Well, Americans are going to right the ending to this movie. Barack will win and we'll be on our way to a better America. No, everything is not going to go smoothly or perfect, but we will have patience, because we will know that Barack has our interest at heart.

And the soldiers will come home with honor.

Obama/Biden 08

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  17. Voter

Now this is one of the truly meaningless endorsements.

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  18. Greg, San Francisco, CA

Trump is a well known moron so who cares. Perhaps he likes the idea of "Apprentice" being applied to the Vice Presidency.

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  19. arnolde

First a ticker for Lady Lynn whosit de whatsit, and now Donald Trump... in the meantime, Chuck Hagel says Palin isn't ready... but does CNN yet have the views of one of the most senior Republican congressmen on the ticker? Nooooo

Guess Lady Lynn and Donald Trump are more important!

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  20. DebM, Allentown, PA

Trump is such a non-entity, and he's concerned only for his own well-being. Are we surprised he's endorsing McCain?

September 18, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  21. Cam

There's a shocker......a fat rich guy supporting McCain. Between him and that Hillary supporter yesterday, I think the American people should take that as a sign of who will benefit under a McCain administration......yep that's right, the rich people.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  22. Didine - Maryland

Who care about Donald Trump, welcome to the loosing team. Even with your money you can not buy all americains. We will vote for the right candidate who can bring the change that we are hungry for. President barack Obama is the next President of the United states.

Obama/Biden '08-'12.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  23. Shari, NY

Oh, I forgot – he likes Palin because he loves younger women.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  24. Vera /AB. Canada

TRUMP IS NOTHING BUT A BIG BULLY AND FULL OF WIND.HE ONLY HAS PRAISE FOR MCINSANES CHOICE BECAUSE HE THINKS SHE IS GOOD LOOKING AS HE LIKES TO WOO THE LADIES JUST LIKE MCSAME.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  25. Ron

And this matters WHY? One rich old white guy endorsing another rich old white guy. No surprise there. John McCain, you're FIRED.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |