September 18th, 2008

Trump endorses McCain

Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.
Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump is endorsing Sen. John McCain: “I’ve known him. I like him. I respect him. He’s a smart guy and I think he’s going to be a great president,” Trump said Wednesday night on CNN’s Larry King Live. “I endorse him.”

Watch: Trump backs McCain

Trump also had praise for McCain’s decision to pick Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. “I think she’s made a tremendous impact. The impact that she has had on rejuvenating almost the Republican Party, it’s been unbelievable.”

Trump also confided that he did not know who Palin was before McCain asked her to join him on the GOP ticket. “As soon as we got to see her and watch her, everybody’s impressed,” said Trump. “That really is to John McCain’s credit. What he did in this choice is amazing. . . . It was a courageous choice.”

Trump may have announced his endorsement last night, but he voted with his pocketbook months ago; campaign finance records show Trump, who has donated to McCain for years, and gave the legal maximum to the Arizona senator in May. The same month, the members of Trump’s family — wife Melania Knauss and children Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric — also gave McCain the maximum individual donation allowed under federal campaign finance laws.

The New York mogul — who said Wednesday night that McCain was winning, but it would be a “different race” if Hillary Clinton were Obama’s running mate — was also an early financial supporter of his home state senator’s presidential campaign.

Filed under: Donald Trump • John McCain
  1. My comments are always AWAITING moderation

Let's face it. Palin would not have made it through the first cuts on that show Trump did. But she does have some scary characteristics in common with that Omarosa lady.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. Mike T Chicago

WOW! I always though Trump was a smart guy, but his comments last night on Larry King were very short sighted. From what I got from it Trump doesn't want to pay more taxes! So for that reason he is going to support McCain. The fact that he thinks Palin is a good pick is just plain stupid. Her ratings are falling now that America is getting to know her. Lets see where she stands in a few weeks.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. lil

I am not suprised, He knows Obama will raise his tax and regulate
    those oil wells he wants to buy if they drill.
    We dont call that an endorsement we call that talking up you self
    interest.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  4. Aaron Carter

Who cares, Donald Trump is the true elitist and his endorsement adds no value to McCain because no one actaully even likes him...

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  5. FactCheck

Great. Someone who had filed for bankruptcy TWICE backing someone who knows nothing about the economy. McCain's next endorsement will be from those Nigerian money scammers.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  6. Bob Doll

Trump needs to get "tighter" hair plugs.. and of corse he will endorse McCain, he will benefit GREATLY!! no tax increase for the RICH.

Typical REPUBLICAN GARBAGE!!!!

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  7. Yasriel

Once again, Trump has shown he is a loser. May be he has not been following the polls or may be he is just prejudiced. One thing for sure, Trump is a loser.

September 18, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. white independant for Obama

Isnt it "amazing", that McCains biggest endorsements now coming from "super wealthy" people..the ones who "dont" want their taxes increased, against the middle to poor people who need it most ..Eliteist, tell me again, who are the real elitists ??? LOL..will those people please make "my" mortage payment so I dont lose my home ??? will they employ some in my family who need jobs, health care, grrocercy money, GAS to even go look for work ??? No, I didnt think so..sooo, guess Obama looks pretrty darn GOOD right now..who DID work his way UP from bad family situations, and made it the "hard" way..you GO Obama...the peoples CHOICE

September 18, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  9. will

The man knows the economy, it's a big endorsement. I'm sure most others on this site will see it differently though...

September 18, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  10. J - East Windsor, CT

Talk about out of touch!
    Trump has a sign on his forehead that says "WILL GIVE VOTE FOR TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH"

September 18, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  11. Richard Sattich - Georgetown Ky.

Donald Trump?
    Rosie O'Donnell is right about that guy,
    and I am not a big fan of Rosie O'Donnell.

September 18, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  12. TexicoFrom Mexico

Who cares....hes a rich Republican anyway...not liek this is news or anything! Hey Guess What Bill Gates the richest man on the planet endorses Obama! Wake up idiots!

September 18, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. TRUTH HURTS @ McSHAME CAMPAIGN - JOHN McSAME LIES WILL BE WORST THAN GEORGE BUSH!!!!

this guy is IRRELEVANT!

14. Cam

You should all make it a point to vote against McCain because of this. I mean any guy with that much money who can't even see how ridiculous his own hair is can't possibly have good judgement......

15. Who Cares

Yeah, like I really need to listen to that idiot. This is all about how much he's going to get taxed, not our COUNTRY FIRST.

16. Ricky - Latino for Obama

Well yea...he makes a billion dollars a year. Of course he's supporting McCain! Help the rich get richer!

17. Go Figure

I would to if I had the money that this man has. I would want the tax cuts too...

Obama/Biden '08

18. Adam Habib Dallas, TX

Does not he make more than 250K?

19. Fred

Wow, how is the celebrity now. Billionaires supporting billionaires. and Obama is an elitist?

20. Javone

LOL that's enough to make me vote for Obama LOL old bad rug is as slimy and crooked as they come LOL

21. Darryl

How many times diid Donald Trump filed for Bankruptcy and leave the tax payer with the bill.

22. Unimpressed

...and the entire country responds with a giant "WHO CARES?"

Seriously, this guy's TV show is in the gutter and now he's trying every way he can to get air time. "The Donald" pulls about as much weight as Ms. Rothschild.

23. Ken in Dallas

If Obama gets elected, Trump might have to pay some taxes. Not exactly an objective endorsement.

24. BUT HE'S A CELEBRITY

WHY DIDN'T MCCAIN REFUSE THIS HOLLYWOOD ENDORSEMENT?? TRUMP IS A REALITY TV STAR ON A REALLY BAD SHOW.

HE IS ALSO A LARGE CORPORATION OWNER AND HAS HAD TO BE "BAILED OUT" THROUGH BANKRUPTCY ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION. I GUESS THAT'S WHY HE'S ENDORSING MCCAIN...SO HE CAN GET THAT TAX MONTY THAT OBAMA WANTS TO GIVE TO THE OTHER 95% OF US.

25. Kate - CO

a super rich person who supports McCain... so surprising

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14